I apologize first off for being so dumb. But it just took me 15 minutes to find out how to start a thread here....

I just bought the Blackberry Curve 8330 yesterday and I believe all the software and connections are done. Here's my first problem.

I just downloaded what I 'think' is a free ringtone from a large list here (Bad Boys) and it applies to all my children so I thought it was an appropriate ring tone to apply to their names. But...I'm having an awful time applying it. I don't see any option to do that.

My last phone (Razr) was easy to program but I can't even find a way to get all my contacts from my email program to this phone.

I appreciate any help anyone can give me. Believe me.
    05-17-08 12:57 PM
    Enter them in the address book, and then while editing that contact, push MENU.

On the menu you'll find the "Add Custom Phone Tune" option.

Patrick
    05-17-08 01:22 PM
    A lot of times it's easier to get the tone emailed to you, then you get the option to save the attachment as a ringtone.
    If it's a vzw curve, they can transfer your contacts.
    GL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-08 01:26 PM
    Dont forget to remember where you stored the ringtone. It saves alot of time when trying to add it
    05-17-08 01:27 PM
    If you have the contacts in Outlook, run Desktop Manager and sync the contacts to the Address Book. Then to add a custom ringtone:
    1) In the address book on your 8330:
    2) Select the name to which you wish to assign a custom ringtone, and
    3) Menu/Edit/Menu/Add Custom Phone Tune
    05-17-08 01:28 PM
    She was already in my list of contacts (I have 2)....

I couldn't find any way to 'edit' her other than choosing an option and none of them had options for ringtones. It had a voice-mail option and other things. I can't find anything under any options that says "add custom phone tune".

Just as an aside...why is a red light flickering at the top right hand corner of my phone?

Thanks fonebrkr, I assumed the salesman did that transfer for me already...I've heard they're charging for that service now. I'll go back and find out, but thanks for the info.
    05-17-08 01:32 PM
    She was already in my list of contacts (I have 2)...I couldn't find any way to 'edit' her other than choosing an option and none of them had options for ringtones. It had a voice-mail option and other things. I can't find anything under any options that says "add custom phone tune"...
    Select her name in the address book
    Push your menu key
    Select Edit
    Push your menu key again
    Select Custom Phone Tune

I don't have an 8330, but I can't believe this won't work...

The flickering red light means you have mail.
    Last edited by JeffH; 05-17-08 at 01:38 PM. Reason: added mail comment
    05-17-08 01:37 PM
    Red light means u have a messege.

05-17-08 01:40 PM
    Thanks for the red light info, I thought there was an emergency of some sort.

I just found the way to add and change ring tones (under Edit as the fellow above said). Thanks to all who responded!
    05-17-08 01:46 PM
    Select her name in the address book
    Push your menu key
    Select Edit
    Push your menu key again
    Select Custom Phone Tune

I don't have an 8330, but I can't believe this won't work...

The flickering red light means you have mail.
    Sorry to piggyback this thread but I am having the same problem with ringtones. The above instructiosn allow me to change any of the preinstalled ring tones, but I want to use a file from the media card. Is this possible?
    05-17-08 01:48 PM
    Do everything in the steps already shown.
    Scroll down to Custom Phone Tune.
    Click whatever tune is showing.
    Scroll to the top of the list.
    Click Browse.
    Your choices will default to the media card if you have one installed.

NOTE: You have to be disconnected from your computer, or at least, not in Mass Storage Mode, for the Media Card tunes to show up in the selector.
    Last edited by JeffH; 05-17-08 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Added info re disconnecting from computer
    05-17-08 01:53 PM
    Thanks Jeff, easy when you know how!
    05-17-08 04:14 PM
    Welcome to CB.
    05-17-08 04:15 PM
    Cbmember, if you haven't done the transfers yet, another option for you is Motorola phone tools, it will sync your razr to outlook, then you can pull your contacts to your berry, it's a lot cleaner transfer than with vzw. They actually add an app to your berry called cellebrite. You'll need to get your berry OS on your pute to remove cellebrite from your berry.
    GL and welcome to crackberry.
    Oh also, if it's a new phone and new contract they will waive the $10 transfer fee. They usually only enforce that if you bring in an eBay phone and aren't extending your contract.

05-17-08 04:31 PM
    Hi and welcome.
    05-17-08 10:08 PM
    Welcome to the CB Community!
    05-18-08 05:48 PM
    -----

I appreciate all of your help. Thing are working out better now.

-----
    05-24-08 09:25 PM
    Good to know........hope you love your BB........
    05-24-08 09:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD