Maybe I'm just looking for validation..... I'm not sure. I started my smartphone life with a BB 8310 on ATT. After about 6 months I moved to the Iphone 3g. Now after a year, I'm looking strongly at the bold 9700. I just don't know if I am going to like it better than my iphone or not. Has anyone here went from the Iphone 3g to the 9700? If so, how what did you think?

Thanks,

clipse
    01-05-10 04:59 PM
    well I had a iphone but not a 3g version and I can say that I prefer the 9700 over the iphone but I like communication its most important to me over all the applications
    01-05-10 05:09 PM
    well I had a iphone but not a 3g version and I can say that I prefer the 9700 over the iphone but I like communication its most important to me over all the applications
    Lol, had the 3G, dumped it, and upgraded to the 9700. No complaints at all.
    01-05-10 05:19 PM
    Iphone 3g ftw

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-10 05:21 PM
    Haha it you had searched, there are tons of iphone vs blackberry threads around. But being in a thread for the latter, I'm pretty darn sure you will end up with a bold 2.

So what's wrong with your iphone? Is it the lack of a proper bluetooth system or the weak vibration mechanism or the weak ringing volumes rendering the need to jailbreak the phone for a propietary but necessary tweak to make it louder or the lack of a keyboard for smooth operation or the occasional lag or the cumbersome need for itunes or the overhyped fact or is it something else? (List not exhaustive)

01-05-10 05:34 PM
    I had an iPhone 3G for about 9 months and when my son was getting a warranty replacement (Propel Pro returned 3 times), I offered that if he got a Bold 9000, I would trade him with my iPhone. We traded and we are both very happy.

My husband and I owned a transport business and the iPhone was great out on the road - I could use the "Around Me' app and get the nearest gas station, hotel, restaurant, etc. and then GPS directions from where we were to where whichever of those I chose.

However, for normal day to day use, I didn't like it. We no longer have the transport business, so I very rarely used any of those apps. My son, who is 23, would play games on it though. LOL

The thing I disliked the most was no multi tasking. I have a daughter in Colorado who is due to give birth in a few weeks and who can't afford text messaging on her phone right now. With the Bold, I can have Yahoo Messenger running in the background at all times, and if she needs to ask me something or just wants to say hi, she can get on Yahoo on her computer and talk to my just like SMS as far as my phone is concerned. With the iPhone, you either had YM open or you didn't. (I didn't want to have to jailbreak it either).

With the Bold, my email is instantaneous and most of the time, I just answer right from my phone. The keyboard is that good. (the 9700 has the same keyboard, only slightly smaller).

I have the same music downloaded and the same listening capabilities as I had on the iPhone. The browser is a little less on the Bold as far as speed and aesthetics. I do miss the pinch to zoom that the iPhone had, but not much. If I truly want to explore a webpage, I have a laptop for serious browsing.

Battery life on the Bold is awesome. My iPhone had to be charged mid afternoon (and I'm 43, so didn't "play" on it too much). I use the Bold all day for calls, emails, YM, SMS, music, etc. and I do charge it every night when I go to bed and keep it in the case on my hip all day, but I've never seen my battery below 75%. I do live in an edge area, so when I go to a 3G area, I do notice more battery use, but nothing even close to what it was like on the iPhone.

My son loves the iPhone though. He plays games on it and has all those "cool apps" (like light sabers and bic lighters) on it. He also has a charger in his bedroom, one in the living room and one in his truck.

For what it's worth I love, love, love my Bold!
    Last edited by cleaverton; 01-05-10 at 05:40 PM.
    01-05-10 05:35 PM
    Go for it! BB truly support multi tasking. You can run 10 apps at the same time on my Storm2 and it remainds very fast.

While iPhone can only run one app at a time.
    01-05-10 05:38 PM
    Maybe I'm just looking for validation..... I'm not sure. I started my smartphone life with a BB 8310 on ATT. After about 6 months I moved to the Iphone 3g. Now after a year, I'm looking strongly at the bold 9700. I just don't know if I am going to like it better than my iphone or not. Has anyone here went from the Iphone 3g to the 9700? If so, how what did you think?

Thanks,

clipse

You will not be dissapointed.
    01-05-10 05:42 PM
    get the 9700; you"ll just love it.
    01-06-10 03:03 AM
    You will not be dissapointed.
    my thoughts exactly!
    01-06-10 03:10 AM
    As a 9000 user I am a big fan of the keyboard and general style that comes with both the 9000 and the 9700. The extra features of the 9700 make that one marvelous handheld. I cannot imagine you will be disappointed with the device. Go for it I say.
    01-06-10 07:34 AM
    i am in the same boat. Looking at changing my iphone 3G for the 9700 bold. Mainly because the tarrifs are cheaper on blackberry, and i fancy a change...I was unsure if i would like the blackberry after moving from the old curver to iphone. So back to blackberry for me i think. Its only fair haha
    01-06-10 07:50 AM
    I had an iPhone 3G for about 9 months and when my son was getting a warranty replacement (Propel Pro returned 3 times), I offered that if he got a Bold 9000, I would trade him with my iPhone. We traded and we are both very happy.

My husband and I owned a transport business and the iPhone was great out on the road - I could use the "Around Me' app and get the nearest gas station, hotel, restaurant, etc. and then GPS directions from where we were to where whichever of those I chose.

However, for normal day to day use, I didn't like it. We no longer have the transport business, so I very rarely used any of those apps. My son, who is 23, would play games on it though. LOL

The thing I disliked the most was no multi tasking. I have a daughter in Colorado who is due to give birth in a few weeks and who can't afford text messaging on her phone right now. With the Bold, I can have Yahoo Messenger running in the background at all times, and if she needs to ask me something or just wants to say hi, she can get on Yahoo on her computer and talk to my just like SMS as far as my phone is concerned. With the iPhone, you either had YM open or you didn't. (I didn't want to have to jailbreak it either).

With the Bold, my email is instantaneous and most of the time, I just answer right from my phone. The keyboard is that good. (the 9700 has the same keyboard, only slightly smaller).

I have the same music downloaded and the same listening capabilities as I had on the iPhone. The browser is a little less on the Bold as far as speed and aesthetics. I do miss the pinch to zoom that the iPhone had, but not much. If I truly want to explore a webpage, I have a laptop for serious browsing.

Battery life on the Bold is awesome. My iPhone had to be charged mid afternoon (and I'm 43, so didn't "play" on it too much). I use the Bold all day for calls, emails, YM, SMS, music, etc. and I do charge it every night when I go to bed and keep it in the case on my hip all day, but I've never seen my battery below 75%. I do live in an edge area, so when I go to a 3G area, I do notice more battery use, but nothing even close to what it was like on the iPhone.

My son loves the iPhone though. He plays games on it and has all those "cool apps" (like light sabers and bic lighters) on it. He also has a charger in his bedroom, one in the living room and one in his truck.

Well Said!
    01-06-10 08:19 AM
    I have just signed up but i had to comment...this is a great thread!!

i have been deliberating on a new mobile for some time now to replace my wilting n95 8gb and have considered the iPhone, several nokias and of course blackberries and i am close to ordering a 9700.

Noaim has just hit the nail on the head for me, my phone is about communication. I have an iPod touch, which is fully capible of doing all the fun bits of the iPhone when connected through wifi which is possible at home, or out in the open through cafes etc. my ipod battery life is very poor if using for anything other than music, and i expect similar from an iphone.
    01-06-10 09:00 AM
    I just went from iphone to 9700, here is my experience, more of a list of everything my 9700 can do that my iphone couldnt ha: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/ipho...arison-395674/
    Last edited by Ozreth; 01-06-10 at 06:43 PM.
    01-06-10 06:30 PM
    I just got rid of my iPhone 3g, had it since they released it. It was awesome when I was in school to waste time with playing games, some nursing lectures get very boring. I decided to get a Blackberry because all of my family and friends have blackberries, and I wanted the free messaging (not to mention I hardly used my iPhone anymore for anything other than phone calls).

I've never been happier with a phone, the 9700 is amazing. It might still be the "newness" but I've messed with it a lot getting into trouble and having to surf the forums on how to fix what I screwed up.

Its awesome. Go BB!
    01-06-10 06:58 PM
    I switched from the 3GS to the Bold. On the whole, the Iphone was a better device, but when it comes to messaging and productivity, the 9700 and just about any other BB is slightly superior. These are the things that matter the most to me so it was enough to make me switch. The battery life is longer on the 9700. Using my Iphone, I could get about a half a day on a charge. After a full day of using my Bold, it is still 75 percent charged. But remember, with the Iphone, yoi get more than a device, you are getting an entire Apple experience. No itunes and Iphone app store. All of the money and time you have invested in apps will be gone. Choose wisely. The Iphone and BlackBerry experiences are both great, but hugely different.

01-07-10 04:51 AM
    I have had the 9700 for a couple days now and I'm loving it so far. Media Sync works great. I would like a way for video podcasts to work better but its a very small thing.

clipse
    01-19-10 09:55 AM
    Your answer is 9700 and itouch
    01-19-10 01:42 PM
    Your answer is 9700 and itouch
    word.

10char
    01-19-10 01:59 PM

If I had an iPhone and thought of converting, this post would have sold me!
    01-19-10 02:01 PM
    I would say teh battery alone will make you a very happy camper with going to the 9700. I loved my iPhone it was a fun device but its battery compared to my blackberry battery which was a Bold 9000 at the time was not even comparable, it would die with in hours on me, and my Bold would last all day and then some.
    01-19-10 05:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD