As much as I want to move on to BB10.. Letting go of OS7 is going to be very difficult.. Over the year, because of noticing competition... - the flexibility, ability and UI of OS7 have become more obvious to me. It's a phenomenal operating system, made to look simple, not intuitive, but understated and under rated.. No denying that it is super..

Just wanted to state that..

1.) BB10 should include every little thing that's already offered to us in OS7 (.1) ..
    2.) OS7 and BB10 should be able to connect very well
    3.) OS7 should not expire until BB10 budget phones are launched.
    4.) RIM should put in more efforts to highlight the key points of OS7 in current time, like they are doing for BB10. Afterall BB10 is going to be a premium BB, whereas OS7 is still seeing a rise in sales.

Just a few thoughts I wanted to share with you guys.. thanks
    07-21-12 02:06 AM
    no doubt its an OS that will be missed, but i'm sure all the features offered in it will be in BB10 with enhancments or redesigns.

BB10 may not be as "low tech" looking though and the gestures may take a bit of exploring
    07-21-12 02:38 AM
    Agreed. I think its a hugely under rated OS. But why do you have to miss it? You can still keep one around even after BB10 has launched. I know I'll be doing that.

As a communication tool, It is still my preferred device over the other platforms. Which is why it is my daily driver.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    07-21-12 02:46 AM
    Agreed. I think its a hugely under rated OS. But why do you have to miss it? You can still keep one around even after BB10 has launched. I know I'll be doing that.

As a communication tool, It is still my preferred device over the other platforms. Which is why it is my daily driver.
    except the new BB10 phones will probably use mini or micro SIM cards so will have to get a mini-sd adapter
    07-21-12 02:55 PM
    There are certainly elements of the old school UI that I will miss once I give up my Bold 9900. They are not necessarily impossible to transfer, but in the new touch-optimized world I consider these features unlikely to be in BB10. Examples:
    1. Trackpad: for precision clicks or text selection. Otherwise, you have to zoom to get at that tiny link or press&hold for those text selection thumbnails. The touchscreen solutions to precision pointing or selection seem so clumsy by comparison.
    2. One-handed use: hard to do if you have to touch all over a big screen
    3. Keyboard shortcuts. Touch-optimized UIs may not consider key shortcuts. The classic BB UI has the entire keyboard always in front of you, and you can invoke so many things with just a keypress.
    07-21-12 03:07 PM
    I think the reason BB10 is delayed is because they need time to built in the features on BB10 which are a given in various iterations of BBOS.
    Just to name a few:
    1) Native App integration: Press the BB button in any app and you get options, setting etc.
    Snap a pic and press the BB button and select send to social networks, email, BBM etc.
    2) Notifications: Just a click and you can see what you message you have and the first line. The beauty is that its not on the home screen, so anyone glancing on your phone screen can't see what msg you have. Its only visible when you want to see it.
    3) Alert Customization: Alert profiles. The level of customization in BBOS on various notifications has no comparison.
    4) Tapping on the Network Icon to get to the bluetooth settings, wifi settings etc directly from the home screen. I hate the way iPhone or Android does this. Go to settings, select network, bluetooth etc. Just too messy.
    5) BB Native Apps : Protect, Travel, Traffic etc...these are the best in the business with no equivalent on any OS. These are needed on BB10 at launch.
    I could go on but those are the major ones that came to me of the top of my head.
    Having a PB running on a predecessor of BB10 its quite apparent that the OS is (was) very far away from all this. Its going to take time for all that functionality to come to a brand new OS as opposed to one which has evolved over 10 years to become a great OS for a communication device .
    BB10 has the multimedia,gaming etc down pat. But as a communication tool it needed/needs a lot of work. If this is why RIM delayed the launch, I can't fault them.
    For me to switch to BB10 I would need all the functionality of OS7 and the added features of the brand new QNX OS.
    07-21-12 04:09 PM
    Honestly, I feel the same way. My bold 9930 has never disappointed me. I think the end user experience is just as compelling as any other.

Thorsten said that they will be supported for some time to come. With the adoption of BB 5 and 6 models around the world, support of 7 isn't very surprising. Hopefully RIM doesn't push OS7 devices off of the market in North America in order to amplify BB10 sales.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    07-21-12 05:42 PM
    OS7 is great but it's old.. it's not easy to build apps for this platform.
    So i'm waiting for the BB10 to come and take over.
    07-22-12 10:53 PM
    Heck, OS6 does it for me. BBOS2 is pathetically sparse in comparison. All throughout the native apps there are next to zero features. Organize my photos? Nope. Re-order my music playlists? Nope.

BBOS2 lacks basic functionality all throughout the little apps. Hopefully RIM has gone through every little app for functionality with a fine-toothed comb for BB10.
    07-23-12 12:53 AM
    I agree with yall. I love os7. BB10 will have to have the features of os7 in order for me go buy one.
    07-23-12 01:52 AM
    I've used almost every BlackBerry since the Pearl 8100, so moving on from OS7 and all the other "BlackBerry Legacy" operating systems will be a huge departure for me when I get the BlackBerry 10 phones. At least OS 7 went out with a bang, as the 9900 is the ultimate BlackBerry, and combines everything we love about BlackBerrys.

I will miss all the shortcuts I have come to know and rely on. I am hoping that things like pressing and holding Q will turn my BB10 phone to vibrate, and that some of the other shortcuts will be implemented. I am also hoping that the full qwerty BB10 phone will be similar in size to the 9900. I think the 9900 and 9000 had the best keyboards and size to them, so I hope RIM continues in offering the biggest keyboard (I was gonna say the best keyboard, but it goes without saying that no one else builds a keyboard anywhere NEAR as good as RIM).
    07-23-12 03:00 AM
    Honestly, I feel the same way. My bold 9930 has never disappointed me. I think the end user experience is just as compelling as any other.

Thorsten said that they will be supported for some time to come. With the adoption of BB 5 and 6 models around the world, support of 7 isn't very surprising. Hopefully RIM doesn't push OS7 devices off of the market in North America in order to amplify BB10 sales.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Don't worry. The carriers are already pushing the os7 phones
    "off the market" because they are not 4G or LTE.

By fall I doubt any will still offer them. Maybe the smaller carriers will still have them.

Tim
    07-23-12 04:25 AM
    OS7 is great but it's old.. it's not easy to build apps for this platform.
    So i'm waiting for the BB10 to come and take over.
    BB7 is old? how the he|| is it old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its been out for less then a year, even android and iOS are older then it.

god i'm sick of all these people say its old and so out dated, iOS has been the same garbage since it was released, same stupid UI, android not much has changed since the release of the early galaxy.it must be the sales pitch for android and iphone sellers to say oh sure the BB7 phones are good but the UI is old and out dated. this seems to be what every person that leaves the family thinks along with the fact that apparantly its an inferior OS *rolls eyes*

sure BB7 has a similare style home screen to the BB5 OS be the icons and flow dymanics are not even close to the same, nore are the layouts of BBM, or the messaging systems. media folders settings folders, all different. even pulling up all your apps is different, you are still able to view your wall paper not a blue/black screen with a box and some icons. BB6 had a similar layout to & but it lacks the pow that BB7 has, BB7 is fresher then BB6 and it flows better
    Last edited by GTiLeo; 07-23-12 at 05:07 AM.
    07-23-12 05:02 AM
    I've used almost every BlackBerry since the Pearl 8100, so moving on from OS7 and all the other "BlackBerry Legacy" operating systems will be a huge departure for me when I get the BlackBerry 10 phones. At least OS 7 went out with a bang, as the 9900 is the ultimate BlackBerry, and combines everything we love about BlackBerrys.

I will miss all the shortcuts I have come to know and rely on. I am hoping that things like pressing and holding Q will turn my BB10 phone to vibrate, and that some of the other shortcuts will be implemented. I am also hoping that the full qwerty BB10 phone will be similar in size to the 9900. I think the 9900 and 9000 had the best keyboards and size to them, so I hope RIM continues in offering the biggest keyboard (I was gonna say the best keyboard, but it goes without saying that no one else builds a keyboard anywhere NEAR as good as RIM).
    i agree o nthe size and keyboard of the 9000 and 9900, these are RIMs two pinnacle phones and in my eyes will go down in history as AWESOME
    07-23-12 05:05 AM
    I love 0s7 I'm a big fan of it.
    07-23-12 10:07 AM
    BB7 is old? how the he|| is it old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its been out for less then a year, even android and iOS are older then it.

god i'm sick of all these people say its old and so out dated, iOS has been the same garbage since it was released, same stupid UI, android not much has changed since the release of the early galaxy.it must be the sales pitch for android and iphone sellers to say oh sure the BB7 phones are good but the UI is old and out dated. this seems to be what every person that leaves the family thinks along with the fact that apparantly its an inferior OS *rolls eyes*

sure BB7 has a similare style home screen to the BB5 OS be the icons and flow dymanics are not even close to the same, nore are the layouts of BBM, or the messaging systems. media folders settings folders, all different. even pulling up all your apps is different, you are still able to view your wall paper not a blue/black screen with a box and some icons. BB6 had a similar layout to & but it lacks the pow that BB7 has, BB7 is fresher then BB6 and it flows better
    It's old because it's still based on the same antiquated java framework as the older BB OS'. It's terribly optimized and terrible to develop for.

That said, the UI design is a different story. Other than the endless menus and difficulty of accessing some features, I find BB OS quite elegant.
    07-23-12 11:06 AM
    I bet when BB10 comes out, you are going to forget BB7 fast. Unless the new phones have some sort of unforgivable flaw within them like unacceptable battery life.

You are going to miss BB7 for awhile, for sure, and then you will move on.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    07-23-12 11:25 AM

It is not that OS7 is old, but that the Java Platform is dated. It has been pushed to the max by RIM. Thus RIM is bringing out the next Platform for the next decade, BB10. It will be more powerful, smoother, less prone to glitches and the necessity of battery pulls. It will be more intuitive and fluid. Frankly, I am excited about what is coming. Now, I may have to wait to purchase due to contract issues. If that is the case, then my Torch 9810 will continue to provide great service to get done the things I need to get done. I will probably become a nuisance at the AT&T store, drooling on the new BB10 phones, but the employees know I am harmless.
    07-23-12 11:27 AM
    OS 7 is a lot better than people think. It simple, yet compatible and can get it done. iOS is too simple and not compatible, and Android is not user friendly. OS 7 any day!!!!
    07-23-12 11:42 AM
    OS7 is golden for me at the moment for all my communication needs. It's not meant for multimedia but I have the playbook for that.

Phone, BBM, SMS, Twitter, Facebook all of them work flawlessly on my BB and are integrated seemlessly.

On a similar note I haven't had to do a battery pull since I got my BB. Am I just lucky?
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    07-23-12 11:43 AM
    OS 7 is a lot better than people think. It simple, yet compatible and can get it done. iOS is too simple and not compatible, and Android is not user friendly. OS 7 any day!!!!
    I whole heatedly disagree with your synopsis of ios and android, but we're each entitled to our opinions.
    07-23-12 11:56 AM
    Just think how well BBOS7 could have been if RIM had not announced that they were going to build a new OS using QNX and that it would be release 6 months after BBOS7 devices were released.

RIM basically announced that the BBOS was outdated but they were releasing one more version to fill the gap until the brand new OS was ready.

That had to hurt BBOS7 sales....
    07-23-12 12:17 PM
    I hope they find a way for customers to be able to swap between BB10 and BB7 phones easily. I know I'm going to want to pull out my 9930 every once in a while, but I won't want to if I can't transfer my text message history, calendar entries, and other important stuff that I always miss when switching to phones with a different OS.
    07-23-12 12:23 PM
    RIM can always develop a lite version of BB10 one that isnt so hardware demanding. Maybe a QNX sort of hybrid kernel for all other devices from OS5 to OS 7. It will be alot of work but it will make it a little easier to code and develop apps for all devices not just the latest ones.
    07-23-12 06:05 PM
    RIM can always develop a lite version of BB10 one that isnt so hardware demanding. Maybe a QNX sort of hybrid kernel for all other devices from OS5 to OS 7. It will be alot of work but it will make it a little easier to code and develop apps for all devices not just the latest ones.
    I'm 99% sure that will never happen. The hardware wouldn't support the majority of BB10 and the QNX micro kernel is nothing without the rest of the OS which would have to be stripped and redesigned for EoL handsets. Actually, I change my 99% to 100%. It will never happen.
    07-23-12 10:37 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD