i anyone have success getting your bluetooth keyboard to work within the new OS of the 8130? iGo.com has drivers for the 8100 pearl with OS greater than 4.2 (mine is 4.3), but to no avail. are bluetooth keyboards this much of a pain!

iGo Stowaway� Ultra-Slim Bluetooth� Keyboard

~kyle
    12-05-07 01:35 AM
    i anyone have success getting your bluetooth keyboard to work within the new OS of the 8130? iGo.com has drivers for the 8100 pearl with OS greater than 4.2 (mine is 4.3), but to no avail. are bluetooth keyboards this much of a pain!

iGo Stowaway� Ultra-Slim Bluetooth� Keyboard

~kyle
    Kyle

I just got one of these (a new one for a steal off eBay - and from someone in Montreal so shipping wasn't expensive - I was very happy to get it in time for Xmas). Works fine on my 8830 WE (with 4.2.x OS) however on my wife's 8130 (with 4.3 OS) it craps out. Specifically, this is using the latest driver from MobilityElectronics.com, I get an error along the lines of an unhandled exception in a layout both when the BB is booted and when I try to start the keyboard application. I think it's very likely it's an OS 4.3 specific problem. I just sent their tech support a report tonight so hopefully I'll hear something back at some point.

Let me say however that I have been using the keyboard with my 8830 and it's fantastic so I do hope they get this 8130 issue worked out. If it is an OS 4.3 specific thing then they had better get it worked out because 4.3 will be out for the 8830 sometime soon and I intend to upgrade.

I'll let you know if I find out anything.

Adrian
    12-27-07 12:11 AM
    thanks for the input Adrian! ya... i hope, one day, it all works out.

gee - and i thought itd be cool to have the newest phone...
    12-27-07 12:31 AM
    The news is not good. Hold on - I have to post again to get my post count up to 10 to post a URL for you!
    01-03-08 10:52 AM
    and posting again...
    01-03-08 10:52 AM
    See here:

iGo Product Support - My Cases

I've written to their feedback to tell them how disappointed I am with that. It seems that while I have the Shasta Stowaway which is no longer being manufactured, you have the Ultra-Slim which is one of their current models. Can you confirm that? I have asked them whether their lack of OS 4.3 support applies to their current products too. I can perhaps understand that they don't want to support a product like the keyboard I purchased, if it is no longer being manufactured (although even then that is not typical) but it's ridiculous if they're not going to support even their current products.
    01-03-08 10:53 AM
    I recommend the Freedom Universal keyboard. I have one and it works great.

Freedom Input Ltd - Home

(Note: if you are on a BES you may need assistance from your BES admin to get a BT keyboard working. You may never get it working if your device has IT policy left on it from a previous user.)
    01-03-08 11:29 AM
    Since my original post in this thread, a number of people have contacted me offline asking if I ever found a solution and the answer is yes. Check this out:

http://www.mymobilegear.com/ShastaDriver.php

I have the KeyPro driver running on my wife's 8130 running OS 4.3 and on my 8830 running a beta of 4.5. Works fine. These guys are really great which is a lot more than I can say for the iGo folks. The Mobile Gear team seem to be very active with the driver development for a full range of keyboards and are keeping up with all the latest operating system releases.
    02-12-09 12:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD