my girlfriend's Z10 was recently "stolen" (guy said he found it, pft). we went on BlackBerry Protect, located it (which turned out to be pretty accurate), sent a couple messages to the phone letting them know I knew the location and could pick it up there and gave them my phone number. then I sounded the alarm. after a little while, my girlfriend got a hold of her carrier and blocked the IMEI.

22 hours later I get a phone call from a guy saying he found the phone. he says he had to leave it in his car over night because it was making an annoying sound and starts asking me about all the security features it has because I knew where he lived. I just told him it had a lot and left it at that.

tl:dr - give it time, maybe when they realize it's useless, they'll return it.
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    07-18-13 01:27 AM
    BB Protect has this feature, however as the OP stated, the battery died on her phone. Doesn't matter how good or bad a phone is, if the battery is dead, there is not much you can do!
    On Android, there are third-party apps that can tell you where the phone was when the battery died. Of course, if it is in the hands of a very mobile thief, or in a moving vehicle, not much luck.

Still, knowing where it is when it lost all juice could be useful.
    07-18-13 02:14 AM
    Nice thing about iCloud is it let's you display an alternate contact number on the stolen/lost device.
    On a BlackBerry just type this info into your lock screen message. Something like "If found xxx-xxx-xxxx". Set the lock to 1 hour so that you won't encounter it during normal use except in the morning. But if lost the lock will engage after an hour and show this. (as well as password protect the phone).

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    07-18-13 02:24 AM
    Actually, I found out I don't have insurance after all. I thought the Premium Handset Protection was the same as full insurance, but it only covered the warranty. So I'm basically SOL. The deductible would've been $150 if I had insurance on it.
    I would have raised a stink about it if they weren't clear about that when it was initially offered. Unless you full out declined the insurance. Not sure why people do that.
    07-18-13 09:23 AM
    I would have raised a stink about it if they weren't clear about that when it was initially offered. Unless you full out declined the insurance. Not sure why people do that.
    No, I didn't decline the insurance at all. I truly had no idea. I'll raise more of a stink today, though. Someone I know is really gunning for me to join Solavei, but I'm not sure I want to do that yet.
    07-18-13 01:07 PM
    my girlfriend's Z10 was recently "stolen" (guy said he found it, pft). we went on BlackBerry Protect, located it (which turned out to be pretty accurate), sent a couple messages to the phone letting them know I knew the location and could pick it up there and gave them my phone number. then I sounded the alarm. after a little while, my girlfriend got a hold of her carrier and blocked the IMEI.

22 hours later I get a phone call from a guy saying he found the phone. he says he had to leave it in his car over night because it was making an annoying sound and starts asking me about all the security features it has because I knew where he lived. I just told him it had a lot and left it at that.

tl:dr - give it time, maybe when they realize it's useless, they'll return it.
    That's what I'm hoping. I sent messages to the phone with my info on how they can return it.
    07-18-13 01:10 PM
    My alternate contact number is a permanent feature of my lock screen; you can enter two lines of text to always display anything you wish. Problem solved.
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    07-18-13 01:10 PM
    Not Dropbox but Box.
    Setup the Box app with your Box account. Within the app you have the option to back up your camera clicks and videos to your box account.

Posted via CB10
    I didn't know about Box as a backup. Will set that up when I get a new Z10. Thanks.
    07-18-13 01:14 PM
    I was in Vegas recently and left my iPhone in a cab. I immediately used iCloud from another phone's browser and sent a ping to my device. Nice thing about iCloud is it let's you display an alternate contact number on the stolen/lost device. After about 30 minutes the device was no longer able to be located on GPS. Figured it was stolen.

The next day I get a call from the cab stand saying they have my iPhone. I imagine the cab driver powered off the device because the pings are so annoyingly loud. They mailed it back to me. Had I lost my Q10 I probably would've dead in the water. BlackBerry protect definitely needs to adopt those features.
    I also left my iphone in cab years ago at Disney Land Orlando Florida. Called it and the cabbie refused to bring it back if I didn't pay a fare for the drive back to bring it to me. I gladly paid the 40 buck he charged for bring it back, even though he never set the meter.
    This was tthe first iphone and I'd paid 600$ for it new.
    But I don't think yoy would've been dead in the water if you had aQ10 because with BlackBerry Protect you can have you phone make that horrible alert sound that definitely draws attention. You can display any info on the screen like reward or contact info as well as view it's approximate location on a map.
    You can also wipe the phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 02:08 PM
    I was in Vegas recently and left my iPhone in a cab. I immediately used iCloud from another phone's browser and sent a ping to my device. Nice thing about iCloud is it let's you display an alternate contact number on the stolen/lost device. After about 30 minutes the device was no longer able to be located on GPS. Figured it was stolen.

The next day I get a call from the cab stand saying they have my iPhone. I imagine the cab driver powered off the device because the pings are so annoyingly loud. They mailed it back to me. Had I lost my Q10 I probably would've dead in the water. BlackBerry protect definitely needs to adopt those features.

protect lets you do all of that. You can display any message you want. And can make your phone sound off. along with GPS locate. Juss sayin...

Edit / Delete Edit Post Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
    07-28-13 11:30 PM
35 12