If you were going to build an operating system for the future what would you basis be? (sic) hehe

Android
    Other Linux-variant
    OSX
    GNU hurd
    QNX
    Mach
    Other... (there are maaaany others, RTOS, Mircokernals, Monolithic, hybrids)

Furthermore, if you were going to create a mobile device company, do you think it would be beneficial to have your very own secure network?
    How about an integrated approach producing your own hardware?

Would you want to own the OS? Or have it completely open/hackable/modifiable?

As for the company. How would you like to make revenue? Data-mining from customers? or from hand-set sales and actual services customers pay for (not services you use to mine more data)? How about MDM? Advertisment? Data-transmition?

Would security be a priority? Customization? Arrange of form factors? Call quality? Anything you can think of.

(I look forward to this thread being completely ignored by some of our high-volume posters, but apparently thats my fault)
    06-10-13 12:46 AM
    If you were going to build an operating system for the future what would you basis be? (sic) hehe

Android
    Other Linux-variant
    OSX
    GNU hurd
    QNX
    Mach
    Other... (there are maaaany others, RTOS, Mircokernals, Monolithic, hybrids)

Furthermore, if you were going to create a mobile device company, do you think it would be beneficial to have your very own secure network?
    How about an integrated approach producing your own hardware?

Would you want to own the OS? Or have it completely open/hackable/modifiable?

As for the company. How would you like to make revenue? Data-mining from customers? or from hand-set sales and actual services customers pay for (not services you use to mine more data)? How about MDM? Advertisment? Data-transmition?

Would security be a priority? Customization? Arrange of form factors? Call quality? Anything you can think of.

(I look forward to this thread being completely ignored by some of our high-volume posters, but apparently thats my fault)
    Choose an OS which gives the maximum flexibility with developers.

Own the OS, secure stable platform. Just one version of hardware. Developers should be happy making just one version of the app. Own the hardware part.

No data mining my customers. No selling customers data to anyone.

Data transmission via GPRS through own NOC via secured air waves. Should be customizable, with noise cancelling mic and headphone.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 12:58 AM
    If I were starting from scratch, why not start out with all the latest features like a micro-kernel, hard realtime performance (bounded latencies), address randomization, lockless lists ? There will always be some brave soul out there designing a new OS. As to whether it is profitable, that is another story. Who cares, if you love this stuff. Although mostly a Linux fan, I admire some of NT operating system. The I/O subsystem is quite complicated but it does a good job of shoving less important work onto a deferred queue very quickly. Big learning curve for writing drivers.
    06-10-13 10:46 AM