BlackBerry has the devices to compete in the market place, yet sales are down on the leading competitors, what is the reason for this? Lack of advertising? Lack of innovations as far as apps go? Pricing? Unpopularity as far as the brand goes (uncool brand)?

Where would you allocate funds?

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 11:55 AM
    I would do what Chen is doing.... focus on its core business to get moa mullah

http://www.change.org/petitions/t-mo...-amazing-phone !!!!!spread the word!!!! http://www.petitions24.com/attz30
    02-06-14 12:00 PM
    Good question. If I owned Blackberry, I would look very critically at what Blackberry has been successful at, namely enterprise keyboard smartphones and emerging market keyboard smartphones. That's where I would put my money. In fact, I would develop my own Typo-like keyboard case for the iPhone and other popular slab smartphones. I would make Blackberry the keyboard smartphone company - regardless of what smartphone you have. Then I would sell the rest of the company to the highest bidder including the patents and QNX.
    02-06-14 12:03 PM
    Good question. If I owned Blackberry, I would look very critically at what Blackberry has been successful at, namely enterprise keyboard smartphones and emerging market keyboard smartphones. That's where I would put my money. In fact, I would develop my own Typo-like keyboard case for the iPhone and other popular slab smartphones. I would make Blackberry the keyboard smartphone company - regardless of what smartphone you have. Then I would sell the rest of the company to the highest bidder including the patents and QNX.
    Doesn't this cut the legs off the business?

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 12:24 PM
    I'd bribe the best devs to make apps for Blackberry, and bring the banks etc in for their apps.

I would take BBM back to Blackberry only....get the edge back.

I would advertise, but not random peeps going from one scene to another, but show the phone features....and I wouldn't bother with high class advertisement companies, I'd get the lad to do the ads that did the "Why I hate my Z10" videos.

I would keep legacy going, and find a way of upping the device memory cos that's what's caused the issues with them.

I'd have people working on a built in app for BB10 to make it wirelessly print to a printer without the need for a PC...total mobile computing.
    02-06-14 01:00 PM
    Lol sell...yes that would help

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 01:02 PM
    Perception and a lack of apps and accessories. Not sure what I would do. Seems they have tried it all.
    02-06-14 01:06 PM
    I would take BBM back to Blackberry only....get the edge back.
    The reason BBM went cross-platform is because there WAS no edge. There are plenty of good cross-platform messaging apps already that were eating BBM's lunch, and how many posts were there about people who used to have hundreds of BBM contacts only having 3 or 5 left? BBM was dying, quickly, and a messenger service is only worth anything if you can communicate with your contacts on it. BBM could have been absolutely amazing, but if no one used it, it has no value. XBBM was an effort to get more users on the platform, but it should have been done years before, when there was little competition. BBM could have been THE messenger service.

Instead, you have Hangouts and Whatsapp and Skype and Facebook Messenger and several others, all bigger than BBM. Killing the iOS and Android versions of BBM wouldn't make people buy BB phones (not in 2014), it would just kill BBM as a platform entirely.
    JeepBB, kbz1960 and propeller10 like this.
    02-06-14 01:18 PM
    The reason BBM went cross-platform is because there WAS no edge. There are plenty of good cross-platform messaging apps already that were eating BBM's lunch, and how many posts were there about people who used to have hundreds of BBM contacts only having 3 or 5 left? BBM was dying, quickly, and a messenger service is only worth anything if you can communicate with your contacts on it. BBM could have been absolutely amazing, but if no one used it, it has no value. XBBM was an effort to get more users on the platform, but it should have been done years before, when there was little competition. BBM could have been THE messenger service.

Instead, you have Hangouts and Whatsapp and Skype and Facebook Messenger and several others, all bigger than BBM. Killing the iOS and Android versions of BBM wouldn't make people buy BB phones (not in 2014), it would just kill BBM as a platform entirely.
    Again I'm going by countless posts on help pages where users say " we needn't buy a Blackberry now we can get BBM". sadly, for many, the phone we all love doesn't enter into it.....they want BBM and android apps. When BBM went cross platform this was all we saw posted.....and a few months later the sales figures showed a drop in handsets.
    02-06-14 01:29 PM
    But handset sales were dropping anyway. Many millions of former BB users loved BBM, but that wasn't enough to keep them from jumping ship even before XBBM was released. And the more people who left, the less value BBM had to existing users, prompting more to leave, and accelerating the cycle.

While there will always be a tiny fraction of people who will buy a product for one particular feature, the vast majority look at a product for it's overall, total value, and the reason BB's sales have been doing down is because that TOTAL VALUE is lower than the total value of other platforms. When BBM came out, and there was nothing like it, it had value, and when it was a dominant messaging app with a large share of messaging users, it had a LOT of value, but today, with lots of competition with bigger user bases, it's value is very limited.

It all goes back to TIMING, and Mike and Jim's failure to respond in a timely way.

When you are late to a market, because of poor timing, the only way to win is to offer significantly better total value. Apple and Android were late to the smartphone market created by BB, Palm, Nokia, and Microsoft, but they succeeded by offering FAR more value than the old platforms did, and changed the game in a short amount of time. The big feature wasn't the all-touch interface, even though that was greatly improved, it was by changing the product contest from being a mere SMARTPHONE into an ECOSYSTEM.

An ecosystem included smartphones, but it also included tablets and other "primary" hardware, accessories (smart watches, sports trackers, AppleTV & Chromecast, etc.), tightly integrated cloud services, vast media offerings (books, music, movies, TV, magazines, etc.), and of course, APPS.

BB won't be able to compete until it can offer a BETTER ecosystem than the market leaders, except in narrow markets where their strengths (security) are more important than the ecosystem. Consumers get more and more invested in the Apple and Google ecosystems every day, and the more invested they are, and the more they grow used to having every app, service, and accessory available to them, the less likely they are to leave that ecosystem for something less.

BB has very limited resources (most of their cash reserves are spoken for, and almost half of it is borrowed money as it is), so they can't just rush out and build/buy a huge ecosystem. They were hoping if they built BB10, an ecosystem would come, but it didn't. So, now, they are left with trying to find niches in which they can survive, because make no mistake: the very survival of the company is still very much in question.

Just because BB was once on top doesn't guarantee it a spot on the podium the next time around. Second chances are rare, and BB really blew the timing of their second chance, and are paying the price for that mistake. That price has NOT been paid in full yet, either. Chen is making the right decisions now, but the position he is in is nearly impossible. He may still fail even making all the right decisions, because of decisions made long before he arrived.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-06-14 02:03 PM
    How is BlackBerry ever supposed to develop a better ecosystem "of their own" with Android on board? You have a bunch of people sideloading apps with crap like "Snap" or you have those few of us who do not.

Meanwhile, devs who base their notions of development purely on marketshare won't even need to look at BB10 because they can just assume that if such a small segment of "the market" wants their app, they can just sideload it, and voila, that dev just saved themselves time and development resources.

As such, it's my two cents that the magic and miracle BlackBerry really needs is to somehow make their ecosystem unique and lucrative. They need to disassociate themselves with Google Android and offer something that will make it worthwhile for devs to be involved. As long as the Android runtime exists, I see no means for BlackBerry to have a real viable ecosystem of their own, and no means for progression when it's just easier for devs to not have to make any efforts to the contrary.

Posted from BitPusher's Q10
    02-06-14 03:03 PM
    BlackBerry doesn't have devices that compete due to the lack of apps. Of course, there is the poor perception and the serious lack of marketing, but in a way I sort of understand why they aren't marketing them since they might know that consumers will soon find out the devices won't fit their needs due to the lack of apps, and then the money would he a waste

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photography Channel
    02-06-14 03:14 PM
    I would hire a guy name John Chen to run the company and spend my days drinking whiskey.
    02-06-14 03:14 PM
    But handset sales were dropping anyway. Many millions of former BB users loved BBM, but that wasn't enough to keep them from jumping ship even before XBBM was released. And the more people who left, the less value BBM had to existing users, prompting more to leave, and accelerating the cycle.

While there will always be a tiny fraction of people who will buy a product for one particular feature, the vast majority look at a product for it's overall, total value, and the reason BB's sales have been doing down is because that TOTAL VALUE is lower than the total value of other platforms. When BBM came out, and there was nothing like it, it had value, and when it was a dominant messaging app with a large share of messaging users, it had a LOT of value, but today, with lots of competition with bigger user bases, it's value is very limited.

It all goes back to TIMING, and Mike and Jim's failure to respond in a timely way.

When you are late to a market, because of poor timing, the only way to win is to offer significantly better total value. Apple and Android were late to the smartphone market created by BB, Palm, Nokia, and Microsoft, but they succeeded by offering FAR more value than the old platforms did, and changed the game in a short amount of time. The big feature wasn't the all-touch interface, even though that was greatly improved, it was by changing the product contest from being a mere SMARTPHONE into an ECOSYSTEM.

An ecosystem included smartphones, but it also included tablets and other "primary" hardware, accessories (smart watches, sports trackers, AppleTV & Chromecast, etc.), tightly integrated cloud services, vast media offerings (books, music, movies, TV, magazines, etc.), and of course, APPS.

BB won't be able to compete until it can offer a BETTER ecosystem than the market leaders, except in narrow markets where their strengths (security) are more important than the ecosystem. Consumers get more and more invested in the Apple and Google ecosystems every day, and the more invested they are, and the more they grow used to having every app, service, and accessory available to them, the less likely they are to leave that ecosystem for something less.

BB has very limited resources (most of their cash reserves are spoken for, and almost half of it is borrowed money as it is), so they can't just rush out and build/buy a huge ecosystem. They were hoping if they built BB10, an ecosystem would come, but it didn't. So, now, they are left with trying to find niches in which they can survive, because make no mistake: the very survival of the company is still very much in question.

Just because BB was once on top doesn't guarantee it a spot on the podium the next time around. Second chances are rare, and BB really blew the timing of their second chance, and are paying the price for that mistake. That price has NOT been paid in full yet, either. Chen is making the right decisions now, but the position he is in is nearly impossible. He may still fail even making all the right decisions, because of decisions made long before he arrived.
    Troy, you are very knowledgeable about the capabilities of different smartphone ecosystems as posted on other threads. Do you think Chen is doing all he can with what he has or is there a magic way of getting back into the game with such a dismal usage rate right now including moving legacy people over? Can't turn back the clock but if you were Chen right now what would you do different? I think the Android run-time under the current situation was about all they could do as BitPusher mentioned. Sure doesn't fix everything but at least gets them "in the game". I wish I knew what a game changer would look like for BB and what the company will be 1 or 2 years down the road.
    02-06-14 03:47 PM
    Assuming that an eventual surge in the consumer space is the end goal, I'd kill the runtime and shore up the native ecosystem as quickly as prudently possible. I'd be hoping killing said runtime would not cause a horrible drop in sales (I doubt it will).

And by "ecosystem" I am referring to more than just apps.

Also, I'd siphon as much funding as possible into customer service. I'd want EVERY BBRY customer to feel like gold. I would want there to be a tangible difference with regards to how BB-using folks are treated.

These would be my two initiatives.
    vtpmt81 likes this.
    02-06-14 03:55 PM
    I would hire a guy name John Chen to run the company and spend my days drinking whiskey.
    My thoughts exactly! ...and on a resort to boot

On my awesome BlackBerry Z30
    02-06-14 04:05 PM
    Alicia Keys would still be working for me. But also putting the Kids to bed at night.

Posted Via my second Z10
    02-06-14 04:17 PM
    Troy, you are very knowledgeable about the capabilities of different smartphone ecosystems as posted on other threads. Do you think Chen is doing all he can with what he has or is there a magic way of getting back into the game with such a dismal usage rate right now including moving legacy people over? Can't turn back the clock but if you were Chen right now what would you do different? I think the Android run-time under the current situation was about all they could do as BitPusher mentioned. Sure doesn't fix everything but at least gets them "in the game". I wish I knew what a game changer would look like for BB and what the company will be 1 or 2 years down the road.
    How about using the Z10 inventory to seed as many BBOS customers as possible with BES 10. The more BB10 phones in the wild the faster things can turn around.

Z10 on T-Mobile, 32 GB PlayBook - Posted via CrackBerry 10
    web99 and jonno_atamaniuk like this.
    02-06-14 04:18 PM
    How about using the Z10 inventory to seed as many BBOS customers as possible with BES 10. The more BB10 phones in the wild the faster things can turn around.

Z10 on T-Mobile, 32 GB PlayBook - Posted via CrackBerry 10
    Actually, I'm a little surprised they didn't do this. A trade-in program of sorts. "Hey, you still on BBOS 6? You still hanging onto your BlackBerry Storm 1 or 2? Contact us to initiate your device trade in." It would have boosted the BB10 user base quite quickly, and it would have also gotten older devices out of the market so they could be properly recycled. Heck, they could have maybe even initiated a deal with many of the places that were buying BES10 and said when you buy BES 10, we will throw in X number of Z10s for your company. If you like them that much, we can talk about trading in your BBOS devices to change them up to BB10 at a better cost.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    02-06-14 04:47 PM
    Assuming that an eventual surge in the consumer space is the end goal, I'd kill the runtime and shore up the native ecosystem as quickly as prudently possible. I'd be hoping killing said runtime would not cause a horrible drop in sales (I doubt it will).

And by "ecosystem" I am referring to more than just apps.

Also, I'd siphon as much funding as possible into customer service. I'd want EVERY BBRY customer to feel like gold. I would want there to be a tangible difference with regards to how BB-using folks are treated.

These would be my two initiatives.
    BlackBerry isn't giving most consumers reasons to buy their product. If you want a low cost smartphone - you buy a Nexus, Moto G, Cheap Samsung Galaxy Phone, or Nokia 52x phone. If you want a high end device you buy an iPhone, SGS4, HTC One, etc.

BlackBerry needs to explain to customers why they should buy a BlackBerry. For example - BB10 has a very fast browser. BlackBerry needs to advertise this and show it in commercials or create a YouTube account and show it to the world. BlackBerry needs to show what features that BB10 has that is better or different than everyone else.

BlackBerry hasn't had bleeding edge specs in a phone in years - yet they have charged a premium for devices. BlackBerry either needs to price competitively or release a phone with bleeding edge specs. Release a phone with a uHD Screen, Snapdragon 805 processor, and an awesome camera combined with their really cool camera app. Everyone talks about how great the Z30 is - imagine a Z50 with bleeding edge specs and a even more improved 10.3 OS.

They also need to release a solid lost cost phone that will be their new 'Curve' that has modest specs but performs at a high level. Maybe something with a Snapdragon 410 (which supports LTE) and 1080p screen but an average camera. This device should cost less than 400 dollars unlocked and should be released in Fall 2014.

Last but not least BlackBerry phones should have awesome battery life.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    02-06-14 05:33 PM
    I don't know EXACTLY what BB's financial situation is, but if I could afford to, I would indeed try to have a BBOS-to-Z10 trade-up program, which would need to be coordinated with the carriers. I'd try to get as many existing, brand-loyal BBOS users on the new platform, because they're the most likely to appreciate it. I would hope that this would increase word-of-mouth sales as well.

Beyond that, I'm not sure there is much more Chen can do given the situation. Focusing on the Enterprise, where their security has value, and where they can get good prices for the phones plus service revenue from BES is the smart move for the immediate future, but I'm not sure it's going to be enough to position them for a consumer-market come-back. Great sales of Jakarta would help, but I'm not convinced that they're going to do any better there than they did with the Z10/Q10 in mature markets last year. The competition is fierce, and getting better every month, and much like the BB10 launch, I think it's going to be too late to get a significant marketshare. We'll just have to see.

I honestly think that the most likely scenario is BB getting out of the smartphone business and trying to become the premier secure MDM/EDM provider, managing iOS and Android phones with BES. Unless their sales really turn around over the next year, I'm not sure the board will support further investment in the market with so little return, and with ever-diminishing prospects of building a viable ecosystem. The company would survive, but BB smartphones would not. Ultimately, Chen's job is to do what's best for the company, not the product line.
    02-06-14 07:45 PM