I'll be able to upgrade my BBBold in a few months and I have no idea what I want...I'm torn between the new I-phone or the Droid2...I think the only thing that is holding me back is that I'm not a big fan of touch screen...I can't get the hang of it and seem to touch everything that I don't need and my nails get too long and now I'm making excuses...lol...So help me out here and tell me your thoughts...Iphone or Droid2?
    02-24-11 08:04 AM
    Asking if you should get an Iphone or Droid2 on a blackBerry forum is like going to a Chevy dealer and asking if you should by Ford or Chrysler.

But, if Droid or IPhone are you only options I would look into the Droid Pro. It was a touchscreen but it also has the physical (non-slideout) keyboard similar to what the BlackBerry Bold has.
    02-24-11 08:11 AM
    If you're not a fan of touchscreens and you can't seem to get the hang of them, they why would you choose between 2 touchscreen phones?

Valorian's sugessestion is probably the best then. The Droid 2 does have a keyboard, but are you really going to want to always use the phone in landscape with the keyboard out?

Or you could just wait a few months and see what is available when your upgrade comes along.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-11 08:25 AM
    The droid pro looks like it's not a slide out keyboard. More like the bold touch but with a larger screen from what I see.
    02-24-11 08:37 AM
    Asking if you should get an Iphone or Droid2 on a blackBerry forum is like going to a Chevy dealer and asking if you should by Ford or Chrysler.
    I know silly question...easy answer for me on this one...DEF a FORD...lol...

I'll check out the Droid Pro...I had a touchscreen before...can't recall which phone it was but it was just so touchy for me...I'd be afraid that if I did get one or the other and I couldn't adjust to it I'd be stuck with it until the next upgrade...I do like my keyboard even tho all the letters are wearing off...and each of those phones has something I'd like but just can't get past the touch part...Thanks all for your thoughts...
    02-24-11 08:46 AM
    Nothing beats having the phone in your hands.. so please try them both.
    you've narrowed down your choices to 2 different platforms, the IOS4 and Android.
    you have to consider the user experience, whether good or bad on that OS outweighs the "touch" vs "keyboard" argument.
    DoeZ likes this.
    02-24-11 08:51 AM
    One other thing to consider when looking at Android phones. You mentioned your nails. My wife got an LG Ally with a side slide out keyboard. She cannot type on the physical keyboard because her nails keep hitting the bottom of the display when she tries using any of the top two rows.
    DoeZ likes this.
    02-24-11 09:00 AM
    Well I'm not a PRO with these phones but I'd like to think I know what I'm doing...lol...of course there's my kids that always help me too...BUT with that said...I looked at the droid pro...very cool and looks like what I'd like...and here's another silly questions valorian...how does this pro compare to the iphone and the droid2? Is it a big deal the screen will be smaller...I mean I have the Bold now and its a small box like so maybe it'll be a bit bigger than what I have? I like the feature on the iphone with the camera in front for visual calls and skype things and of course you can see the photo you take....my daughter just got the droid2 and is loving it but then again she's younger and is able to adjust to a touchscreen...

Valorian...i have such extremely strong hard nails...they grow like weeds...with my job I tend to keep them trimmed now compared to when I was younger and they would be so very long...I can't handle them long anymore so I do understand what her complaint is...that's another reason I'm getting confused about the touch vs kb...Can you adjust the level of the touchpad?

Is the droid pro newer than the others? I know the iphone just came out for verizon but wasn't sure if the pro was newer than the droid2 or not...

Thanks again I so appreciate all your input
    02-24-11 09:14 AM
    The Droid Pro will have a bigger screen than your Bold but smaller than the Droid 2 or iPhone. You would need to go to a store to get a real idea of the screen size. The big deffernce in the Pro is it's a world phone so it can use both CDMA and GSM networks similar to most BlackBerrys. I think the Pro and Droid 2 came out about the same time.

If you are used to how a BlackBerry operates I think it would be easier for you to adjust to a Droid than it would be to adjust to an iPhone.

One thing people are not told about the forward facing cameras on the iPhone is this feature will only be usefull if the person you are calling also has a phone with a forward facing camera. So, if you get an iPhone, you cannot do a video call to your daughter because her Droid2 does not have a front camera. Not many phones have this so this feature would rarely get used.
    DoeZ likes this.
    02-24-11 09:26 AM
    The Droid Pro will have a bigger screen than your Bold but smaller than the Droid 2 or iPhone. You would need to go to a store to get a real idea of the screen size. The big deffernce in the Pro is it's a world phone so it can use both CDMA and GSM networks similar to most BlackBerrys. I think the Pro and Droid 2 came out about the same time.

If you are used to how a BlackBerry operates I think it would be easier for you to adjust to a Droid than it would be to adjust to an iPhone.

One thing people are not told about the forward facing cameras on the iPhone is this feature will only be usefull if the person you are calling also has a phone with a forward facing camera. So, if you get an iPhone, you cannot do a video call to your daughter because her Droid2 does not have a front camera. Not many phones have this so this feature would rarely get used.

So let me ask you this...how would you use the skype feature on either of the phones then? I watched a video on youtube about the droid pro and it looks like it'll be perfect for me...but like you said...the camera is in the back so you cant do the visual call then?
    02-24-11 09:52 AM
    @ Doez, do you have a PC or a Mac as your desktop/laptop.
    how familiar are you with I-tunes?
    if you're answer is YES to the itunes, i suggest you go for the iphone 4.
    i have a macbook Pro ( 2008) and had the iphones up to iphone 3GS..
    what i like about APPLE is the seamless operation between the two devices. Even if you have a PC and you installed itunes, you're gonna have the same smooth communication.
    the learning curve for the iphone is short, as in 1-2 days short depending on how many hours you wanted to spend on it.
    as for Android Devices, how ready/ tech savvy are you to handle "rooting" the device?
    i agree with Valorian on the front facing camera of the iphone 4, you can only use Facetime ( through Wi-Fi) with another iphone 4 owner, so you and your daughter should get an iphone 4 if you decide to use that feature.
    02-24-11 10:00 AM
    Well this was my dilema in the beginning...choosing between the droid or iphone...what is holding me back is the touchscreen...I'm not too fond of it...I can't seem to work it without touching everything around the thing I wanted to originally touch...I have a PC and yes I'm familiar with Itunes...

So maybe I'm confusing the visual call with skype?
    02-24-11 10:13 AM
    as for Android Devices, how ready/ tech savvy are you to handle "rooting" the device?
    Mark, I'm confused by why you made this comment. The only time anyone would need to "root" an Android is if they want to customize the ROM. Most Android users will have no need to do this.

After working with my wife with her Ally, I realized that transfering data onto an Android is just as easy as a Blackberry. After you connect the phone, you select "mount phone" and it works just like a Blackberry in Mass Storage mode.
    02-24-11 10:15 AM
    So maybe I'm confusing the visual call with skype?
    I've never used Skype but I think Skype can do both visual and non-visual calls.
    02-24-11 10:17 AM
    Thanks so very much all...I guess I'll just have to play and see which one I like...it seems they all do the same thing...I like the flashplayer in the droid pro...maybe I'll be able to play my fb games with that...but it still boils down to touch or no touch...
    02-24-11 10:43 AM
    Don't forget, Verizon gives you 14 days to try out the phone. Use which ever one you decide on as much as you can in those 14 days. You can always return it (for a restocking fee) if you do not like it.
    DoeZ likes this.
    02-24-11 10:47 AM
    Will do...even if I have to play in the store for hours to get the feel of one of them that's what I'll do...but from what you all said they're all fairly new...they all do basically the same thing...its gonna be a matter of touch or no touch...Thanks so much
    02-24-11 10:56 AM
    I'd stay with Bold, I'm not a fan of touchscreens.
    02-24-11 11:22 AM
    The keyboard on the iPhone is really good for a touch screen keyboard. I've tried it too. The Droid Pro may be a good phone. I looked at it when I was looking at phones and picked up a 9650 because it was cheap on the Certified Pre Owned list. (read: free!!!) It's also been a good phone so far for me.
    02-25-11 04:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD