And I opensourced the design files, so if you want to, you can too.

If they don't sell me a phone with a keyboard, I'll have to build one myself-keyboard_attached_top.jpg

If they don't sell me a phone with a keyboard, I'll have to build one myself-keyboard_attached_side.jpeg

If they don't sell me a phone with a keyboard, I'll have to build one myself-keyboard_attached_underside.jpeg

If they don't sell me a phone with a keyboard, I'll have to build one myself-keyboard_detached_top.jpeg

I first posted this on Reddid, and the guys over there told me to post it here as well.

Since my Moto Droid 4 died, about 5 years ago, I've been on a quest to build myself a keyboard phone. After many different side-slider designs that were rather lacking in the usability department, I tried sticking a BlackBerry Q10 keyboard to my Fairphone 4 and it worked surprisingly well.

The keyboard is connected to an Arduino Pro Micro which, in turn, is connected to the phone using an USB C connector.

This means:
    • The keyboard is detachable
    • It works without any modifications on the phone
    • Adjusting it for a different phone is pretty easy
    • USB connection means no additional batteries to charge or glitchy Bluetooth connections to worry about

The design of the 3D printed part is still a bit Work in Progress and also the software will need some tweaks (the key mapping is not completely finalized and also some power saving options will need to be added).

What do you think? Is this interesting to any of you?

The design files and a build guide can be found on GitHub: https://github.com/Dakkaron/Fairberry
    01-27-22 11:58 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keyboard_attached_top.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	451672

Very cool!

Name:	keyboard_attached_side.jpeg 
Views:	106 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	451675

Name:	keyboard_attached_underside.jpeg 
Views:	110 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	451673

Name:	keyboard_detached_top.jpeg 
Views:	108 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	451674

I first posted this on Reddid, and the guys over there told me to post it here as well.

Since my Moto Droid 4 died, about 5 years ago, I've been on a quest to build myself a keyboard phone. After many different side-slider designs that were rather lacking in the usability department, I tried sticking a BlackBerry Q10 keyboard to my Fairphone 4 and it worked surprisingly well.

The keyboard is connected to an Arduino Pro Micro which, in turn, is connected to the phone using an USB C connector.

This means:
    • USB connection means no additional batteries to charge or glitchy Bluetooth connections to worry about

The design of the 3D printed part is still a bit Work in Progress and also the software will need some tweaks (the key mapping is not completely finalized and also some power saving options will need to be added).

The design files and a build guide can be found on GitHub: https://github.com/Dakkaron/Fairberry
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-27-22 12:46 PM
    This is really cool!
    01-27-22 12:51 PM

Name:	keyboard_attached_top.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	451672

Name:	keyboard_attached_side.jpeg 
Views:	106 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	451675

Name:	keyboard_attached_underside.jpeg 
Views:	110 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	451673

Name:	keyboard_detached_top.jpeg 
Views:	108 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	451674

This means:

Awesome.

The example in the photo may need a bit of smoothening of those sharp edges for holding comfort. Also maybe a few extra millimeters of chin space, which is extremely important for typing comfort and balance.

While we're there, making the whole keyboard module into a clip-on case would be the ideal goal, so that it looks as integrated as possible.

You could base the idea off of the Typo for iPhone keyboard cases from 2013 - 2014 except that yours connect via USB-C instead of Bluetooth, which is even better!
    @idssteve thoughts?
    01-27-22 12:56 PM
    Awesome.

The example in the photo may need a bit of smoothening of those sharp edges for holding comfort. Also maybe a few extra millimeters of chin space, which is extremely important for typing comfort and balance.

While we're there, making the whole keyboard module into a clip-on case would be the ideal goal, so that it looks as integrated as possible.

You could base the idea off of the Typo for iPhone keyboard cases from 2013 - 2014 except that yours connect via USB-C instead of Bluetooth, which is even better!
    thoughts?
    I think he offering what he has done... not looking for suggestion on redesigns. Your free to take his files and adapt them as you see fit for your usage and your device.

Would be cool to have a catalog of files for different devices... going to drive up the cost of spare classic keyboards.
    app_Developer and JeepBB like this.
    01-27-22 01:14 PM
    I am open for suggestions and feedback. This project is currently at the "I've got a working prototype that is good enough to be used as a daily driver for me" stage.

Redesigning the case is actually rather easy and doesn't affect the electronics. I printed maybe 15 versions of that so far. Since the electronics are self-contained and everything is mounted to the keyboard itself, it takes about 10 seconds to transfer the keyboard into a new case. Case redesigns can thus be done very quickly and without much effort.

The main difficulty is to get a tight fit. Depending on how precise the measurements are, and how accurate the 3D printer is, it might take a few tries to get the fit just right.

I used it on my temporary Honor 9 Lite before I got the FP4, and it was pretty good on there too.

The biggest change that I'd like to do, is to integrate it with a full-body case, but I don't have a good concept for that yet.

If you have any good ideas, I am very open to them!

Regarding holding comfort: the hole in the rear of the keyboard makes for a good position to hook my middle fingers into. This helps a lot with balance and makes it rather easy to hold.

If someone wants me to make 3D print files for a different phone, let me know, either here or better in the discussions section over at the GitHub link.
    01-28-22 09:04 AM
    Excellent!! Nice job! Can't wait to pursue this...
    01-28-22 10:19 AM

Would be cool to have a catalog of files for different devices... going to drive up the cost of spare classic keyboards.
    I hope the OP will take PR’s for other phones. I might do one with a slightly longer back myself.

This is a great base for other PKB fans to build on and contribute. I’m excited about this. Less talk, more doing.
    idssteve, JeepBB, dmlis and 1 others like this.
    01-28-22 10:32 AM
    I love it! I am not sure I have the expertise to make use of this information, but if I get to the point where I am not using any other PKBs and have no other options I might come back to this. Exciting stuff.
    spARTacus likes this.
    01-28-22 07:13 PM
    This is much nicer than that mess posted by SES.

Would I use something like this on my Pixel 6 pro? Probably not.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-28-22 07:33 PM
    This is much nicer than that mess posted by SES.

Would I use something like this on my Pixel 6 pro? Probably not.
    Agreed on both points.

I'm very, very impressed and I sincerely hope that the OP makes serious money from this - either himself via a kickstarter, or by getting a backer.
    cribble2k likes this.
    01-29-22 05:14 AM
    This looks promising.. congratulations on your invention
    01-29-22 05:42 AM
    "What do you think? Is this interesting to any of you?"

My biggest respect. I like when someone takes the initiative like that. And it reveals that the world of phone electronics in not rocket science at all. I would gladly use something like that once the method crystallizes a bit more. This way I could enjoy the benefits of an advanced phone and the keyboars, that usually doesn't go together on the market.
    spARTacus likes this.
    01-29-22 08:14 AM
    ...What do you think? Is this interesting to any of you?

I think it is really cool and interesting.

Are you saying that you are putting all of the design details up as open IP/source, and you have no plans to try to productize it for sales or anything like that?

Edit: I think I have already answered my question, after quickly looking at what appears to be all the details already on the github page.

Wow! Very cool!

I wonder if anyone would be interested in doing a production run of several hundred (as a start) without phone case? Like another poster indicated, I doubt I'd be successful enough with the detailed soldering.
    Last edited by spARTacus; 01-29-22 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Added some more after looking at the github page.
    01-29-22 08:16 AM
    For attaching to phones, any thoughts of trying to fit the hardware into an existing modified phone case for the specific phone model? Maybe take two generic cases that fit a specific phone model, cut one in half horizontally (below the side buttons), and then use a section cut out from the second case to essentially "extend" the first case. That would probably mean less ease for attaching/detatching, but maybe usable.
    Last edited by spARTacus; 01-29-22 at 12:06 PM. Reason: punctuation/structure
    01-29-22 09:11 AM
    Here's another thought. Maybe an exploration around the idea of retaining the original Q10 lower chassis and frame, to continue to house the Q10 keyboard and components, and then build onto that frame for extending up into a specific phone model case.
    01-29-22 11:59 AM
    Gotta bunch of new, spare, 9900 KB. With TrackPad... wandering minds wonder... lol.
    01-29-22 03:57 PM
    Here's another thought. Maybe an exploration around the idea of retaining the original Q10 lower chassis and frame, to continue to house the Q10 keyboard and components, and then build onto that frame for extending up into a specific phone model case.
    3D printing can be pretty versatile...
    01-29-22 04:01 PM
    Yeah I guess custom phone case for specific model with mods to hold the hardware would be possible to just print?

In the pics, the surface of the keys seems a bit raised, higher than to match the surface of the slab.
    01-29-22 07:35 PM
    Think of it like this. If OP can get a case out that looks about as refined as this Typo for iPhone, consider me in as a buyer.

https://www.[removethis]ebay.com/itm/Typo-Keyboard-Case-For-iPhone-5-5s-New-/175029254896?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46 890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
    spARTacus and Owlwarrior like this.
    01-29-22 09:39 PM
    Yeah I guess custom phone case for specific model with mods to hold the hardware would be possible to just print?

In the pics, the surface of the keys seems a bit raised, higher than to match the surface of the slab.
    Early 9900 KB elevation proved too near the touch screen. Resulting in accidental touch commands. We used to place .010" thick mylar tape under the trackpad area to elevate it slightly above touch surface. Later 9900 kb production runs included about .015" added elevations. Haven't messed with mylar tape shim since. I'm personally OK with elevated KBs.
    01-29-22 10:11 PM
    ...I'm personally OK with elevated KBs.
    Sure. I was just noting the current prototype arrangement might "look" a bit high.
    01-29-22 10:14 PM
    Think of it like this. If OP can get a case out that looks about as refined as this Typo for iPhone, consider me in as a buyer...
    I am thinking the OP might be more interested in the non casing aspect of the work, and if a number of raw keyboards (usb ready) could get into the hands of a few folks, then a variety of different casing arrangements might start to take shape.
    01-29-22 10:21 PM
    I am thinking the OP might be more interested in the non casing aspect of the work, and if a number of raw keyboards (usb ready) could get into the hands of a few folks, then a variety of different casing arrangements might start to take shape.
    Perhaps evolving something resembling a slider? Mabe even a front slider??
    Last edited by idssteve; 01-30-22 at 02:03 AM.
    01-30-22 12:56 AM
    Though the only way I see to make it sleek enough not to look like a contraption is by making it an entire case
    01-30-22 07:30 AM
315 123 ...