I will exclude Android as developers don't make much money on it anyways.
    My question is if the new high end sales of iphones are going to mostly come from Upgrade cycles then how would developers make money? Once you get that 99 cents out of your app from itunes, it's a dead money.

I can think of two options.
    1)Innovate something new and facinating...always great but difficult to do.
    2)Go to other platforms... BlackBerry or Windows? Porting and learning costs involved.
    Don't you think it should help BlackBerry and Windows ?

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 04:38 PM
    My question is if the new high end sales of iphones are going to mostly come from Upgrade cycles then how would developers make money? Once you get that 99 cents out of your app from itunes, it's a dead money.

I can think of two options.
    1)Innovate something new and facinating...always great but difficult to do.
    2)Go to other platforms... BlackBerry or Windows? Porting and learning costs involved.
    Don't you think it should help BlackBerry and Windows ?

Posted via CB10
    The majority of developers are simply not interested in developing for blackberry, Saunders confirmed as much.

Developers will continue developing for iOS, introducing new application as as they have done for the past 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    07-22-13 04:43 PM
    iphones have yearly app upgrades which are optional, they can develop more than one app, in app purchases for extra features in games which would be recurring if people for example keep buying extra ammo for their shoot em ups or "special" ingame item purchases, free versions of paid apps which contain adverts which is a constant source of money for buyers who dont want to purchase an app and bonus subscriptions to paid apps from trial users who liked the free app and decided to buy the full versions

dont forget there are millions of users for each platform, even if your app costs 99 cents and for example apple, android, wp and blackberry take a 30 cent fee out of it thats 70cents per person now times that by thousands, hundreds of thousands or millions if your apps that popular and you can make yourself a nice little cash pile that will keep you running with maintenence fixes until you come out with a new app and thats just for good old fashioned one time payment buy it now apps not in app bonuses for money or freemiums or advertising free versions

imo a small time dev will not bother to learn code from scratch for other platforms to recreate his app and then have to balance 3 or 4 apps with different code when he can make enough money to live from multiple apps on the same platform
    07-22-13 04:55 PM
    There are two important ways devs keep making money.

1. Make an app and let everyone buy it. Use the money from the app revenue to make more apps such as sequels of famous games, different games/apps, add features to be unlocked with in app purchases etc. Basically continue innovating.

2. Port it to other platforms and gain more potential market.

Now I don't think smartphones are 'declining' just yet. Most reports say that growth is not as high as previous years. So a lot of people are still buying smartphones and even if these people buying new smartphones already have a devs app, the Dev can just offer them everything I mentioned in point 1.

Posted via CB10
    bluetroll likes this.
    07-22-13 07:02 PM
    I just read a thread on here the other day that Android Devs were catching up to iOS. I know there are certainly apps in the Play Store that have an associate caost. Am I wrong here?
    07-22-13 07:21 PM