I know that with their current situation it wouldn�t make sense for RIM to buy them, but if things were different & they could afford to, I think WAZE would be a good Navigation App for them to buy or mimic. The reason I think this is because it�s a community-based GPS traffic and navigation app and RIM is trying to expand their BBM social network.

Right now it looks like they are making BB Traffic into a GPS traffic and navigation app by using TomTom�s traffic & nav data (hopefully they are also using TomTom�s lane info) Although this is great, it doesn�t really have anything to differentiate it�s self from the competition. Here�s where BBM & WAZE could come in. Although Waze's navigation skills are very serviceable, it really shines with its live traffic and other data provided by other users of the app. Not only will it tell you if there is an accident or heavy traffic ahead of you, it will tell you if there is a speed trap, a cheap gas station, or anything else that someone ahead of you thought you may like to know about. Waze really demonstrates how well crowd-sourcing can work.
    My biggest complaint with most Navigation Apps is that it�s a pain finding & entering your destination�s address, Waze makes this a lot easier, It can search your address book, Google, and several other places to get you the address you need. Alternatively, you can just input the address if you already know it.

What do you guys think? Would
    TomTom,
    BB Traffic,
    Waze,
    & BBM
    combine to theoretically make one KICKASS navigation app?

Check out their website @ https://www.waze.com
    and�or check out the below video

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CtSQ7-_5C2U
    [/YT]
    06-27-12 04:03 PM
    Waze is not really a good fit with RIM. All the user participation and a fairly tatty UI caused Waze to last less than a week on my phone. I felt the price of $0 was too high for what it did.

I am still looking for a decent turn by turn navigation system that stores its data locally on my phone.

This works fine on my TomTom car nav system so why can't it work on my BlackBerry?
    06-27-12 04:11 PM
    They already bought Dash Navigation a few years back. They would be best off to start using them to their full abilities.

Have a look at this video, youll see similarities to Waze, but much better. Hopefully BB10 will bring something like this.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBQ_EiQmnfs[/YT]
    06-27-12 04:16 PM
    OP.
    I do not think RIM would be smart to try to be different with every app. Give the expected functionality initially even if it merely means offering what the competition already has.
    Differentiators will emerge as the OS matures otherwise this will just bog down the fundamentals.
    06-27-12 04:45 PM
    Most people dont remember the Dash purchase but yes it would be great if we started seeing some results from them. Hopefully bb10 will bring that.
    Rello and Rello like this.
    06-27-12 06:04 PM
    I do hope they put the Dash team, if they're still there, to good use on BB10.
    06-27-12 06:08 PM
    I don't know this for sure, but I always thought that the Dash team was behind BB Traffic. If you think about it, Dash's biggest selling point was it's up to the minute traffic knowledge. For anyone that has used BB Traffic, you know that it's one of, if not the best GPS Navigator when it comes to Traffic and expected arrival times.

If RIM is able to implement the amazing functionality of BB Traffic into a slick looking Tom Tom based mapping app, they will without a doubt have a good enough Navigation system to compete. The fact is that no one can expect to beat Google when it comes to mapping and navigation at this point in time. But at the same time, that isn't important. All RIM has to do is offer a turn-by-turn navigation that offers top notch routes and traffic information, and they need to include this with the base OS for free and integrate it seamlessly throughout the OS.
    06-27-12 07:59 PM
    I really am hopping to see a great nav app. They will have to have all the elements combined between tom tom and the real time updating of traffic and such. I assume they will but you just never know
    06-27-12 08:04 PM
    I had forgotten about Dash. Probably because it's been 3+ years since they purchased it & they never did much with it

Could be that parts of it is built in the BB Traffic...Traffic had some great features, but it's search & lack of map. always left it behind the competition....Guess we will have to see how things work with TomTom's intergration.

I still think BBM could be intergrated into a Nav program...but like a previous poster said. Right now we just need to see a nav program, they can add features down the road. My post was about what would be great if RIM wasn't in the state it's in right now...That's why I started the post with:
    I know that with their current situation it wouldn’t make sense for RIM to buy them, but if things were different & they could afford too
    06-28-12 12:05 AM
    Just watched the Dash video. I would love to see those features integrated into the traffic app! Add spoken turn by turn with lane assist and we are golden!
    06-28-12 07:08 AM
    Most people dont remember the Dash purchase but yes it would be great if we started seeing some results from them. Hopefully bb10 will bring that.
    I remember when they bought Dash 2 or so years ago and all I could think was that I was so happy that turn by turn navigation might finally come to BlackBerry...yup lol...saw absolutely nothing from that acquisition. Other suggested it was for the api's but it just seems they could've gotten more than just that out of Dash...
    06-28-12 11:26 AM
    I had waze installed on my Torch 9810 for several months. It was a pretty good app, although it wasn't supposed to run on a Torch and it was definitely beta quality. Unfortunately, waze has said they're discontinuing BB development. Too bad. I wrote the waze folks asking that they reconsider a BB version after BB10 comes out. No answer.
    08-09-12 05:22 PM
    I have a long commute and use Waze every day I love it. I hope BB uses many of the tools in the Dash video in the same way Google has for Google Now - seems like a lot of the same ideas.

I understand there is a great new feature in GNow that looks at your appts and monitors the traffic and advises when you should leave to arrive on time - this is a great feature for businessmen who have to travel a lot for meetings/presentations etc. Maybe add that to my list of things in the competition I would like to see in BB10
    08-09-12 07:22 PM
    Dash? Do they have a patent on that technology because if they do, they should be suing Google because Google does this already..

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=traff...m&z=10&layer=t
    08-09-12 08:36 PM
    google has been doing it for several years now, they cant sue for live traffic updates. Technology that does this has been around for even longer than google has been doing it too.
    08-09-12 08:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD