What do you suppose BlackBerry's asking price would have been?

To ask the same question a different way, How much do you think the physical keyboard added to the price they needed to ask, to make whatever margin they deemed necessary?
    03-15-16 11:07 AM
    If they released it alongside the Priv, they would have charged the same. They wouldn't want to canibalize one over the other based on price, and... their attitude seems to be that it's not each feature but the whole 'BlackBerry Experience' that gives the value.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-16 11:14 AM
    If they released it alongside the Priv, they would have charged the same.
    I'm thinking if they had released it instead of the slider. Presumably manufacturing costs would be less. It's a matter of perennial dispute around here whether demand would have been higher or lower. But there do seem to be a fair number of people who are put off by both the price and the slider feature, and plenty of people put off by PKBs in general. A plain VKB Priv could sell for less, perhaps making it more attractive to some--but how much less?
    03-15-16 11:24 AM
    We are still talking about BlackBerry here, I doubt it would've been *much* cheaper. I don't know the US or Canadian prices, but here in Germany the Priv launched at EUR 749. I guess they'd still ask 649 to 699 for a keyboard-less Priv. To compare more: The Z10 launched at EUR 629, the Q10 639, the Passport at 649 and I think the Z30 sold for 599. IIRC even the Bold 9900 debuted for more than 600 bucks.
    03-15-16 12:02 PM
    If they had released an all-touch Android Phone, I'd say they would sell it for around $500.

Also, if that had happened, I would have had to consider buying a phone for about the same price (or less) from another manufacturer - one that has more experience building Android handsets.
    03-15-16 12:03 PM
    I'm thinking if they had released it instead of the slider. Presumably manufacturing costs would be less. It's a matter of perennial dispute around here whether demand would have been higher or lower. But there do seem to be a fair number of people who are put off by both the price and the slider feature, and plenty of people put off by PKBs in general. A plain VKB Priv could sell for less, perhaps making it more attractive to some--but how much less?
    The Priv price is certainly off-putting. Still, I wonder how many more sales they would have generated if they had released an all-touch Android phone.

There would certainly have been some BlackBerry fans who would have been more open to buying it, and I imagine that they would have outnumbered the PKB fans (like me) for whom an Android PKB BlackBerry was like an answer to our prayers. I would not have bought an all-touch Android BlackBerry - not unless it had GS7 specs at half the price that Samsung sells them for. BlackBerry hardware is not worth risking, given the volatility of the company itself.

So, yes, I think that if they had released an all-touch Android phone at a lower price than the Priv (say $550), they would have sold a few more units than they did of the Priv. However, that would be partly mitigated by those ex-BB users that returned to the Priv for the PKB. Those people wouldn't have returned without the PKB, in all likelihood.
    03-15-16 12:14 PM
    So, yes, I think that if they had released an all-touch Android phone at a lower price than the Priv (say $550), they would have sold a few more units than they did of the Priv. However, that would be partly mitigated by those ex-BB users that returned to the Priv for the PKB. Those people wouldn't have returned without the PKB, in all likelihood.
    Yeah, that's pretty much the tightrope BlackBerry walks. Even at $600, a pure VKB Priv would attract some more buyers who have sticker shock at the current price, but it would lose the PKB people.
    03-15-16 12:23 PM
    You have to charge a 25% premium for a slider to account for the inevitable returns that go hand-in-hand with a big moving part like that (in addition to problems with the PKB). Just look at the threads on this forum where people say they have returned multiple handsets for clicking, gaps, wiggling, etc.

It reminds me of what I used to read on PreCentral. People were going to the Sprint store and opening up multiple boxes to find a Pre that didn't have the "Oreo Effect." No one would admit that the return rates were high until the post-mortem interviews when it was revealed that the carriers were unhappy at the return rate.
    03-15-16 12:36 PM
    What might glass slab "Priv" provide users that a Samsung won't?
    The Android Hub, BB launcher, etc., and BlackBerry security, real or imagined.
    idssteve likes this.
    03-15-16 01:49 PM
    Don't forget the flashing LED-- I could never do without it!!

BB, Still the One
    03-15-16 02:18 PM

To ask the same question a different way, How much do you think the physical keyboard added to the price they needed to ask, to make whatever margin they deemed necessary?
    It would cost exactly the same, they maybe could've made bigger margins but when do companies ever pass savings to customers?
    03-15-16 04:33 PM
    I'd like it a lot better without the physical keyboard that's for sure.
    03-15-16 05:18 PM

How much did the keyboard add to the cost of the device? Judging by my experience of a month's worth of the Priv's keyboard I would venture to say: They didn't spend nearly enough... I'd have paid more to have a better keyboard... Price isn't an issue if there is actually substance behind it. If you're going to sell a $650-700 phone do it properly... It's already at $700, why not add another $50-100 (if needed) and step at the game correct? If it were priced at $500-550 it would have been better perceived and not scrutinized as harshly as it has been, but once you affix a high end price tag to the device it's go big or go home... If launched a year ago, the current price of the Priv would be a fair assessment, but in the current market it does not live up to expectations...

Posted via CB10
    03-15-16 05:49 PM
    If their recent pricing debacles can be used as examples BlackBerry would have priced themselves out of the market with a full touch slab.
    Considering the pkb market is less than one percent of the current market why should they think a pkb android device would have people running back? Perhaps sales of the Priv are providing great insight to their pkb android phone plans, and we won't see the Vienna.
    03-15-16 07:25 PM
    I honestly wouldn't mind the pkb if it were usable. Blackberry spit the bit with the keyboard on this phone though, and anyone saying differently is just delusional. I don't see how anyone can claim that the keyboard on the Priv is close to being as good as it is on a phone like the Classic or even the old Bold series phones. It isn't. Its a half assed effort. I hate it.
    03-16-16 06:14 AM
    I honestly wouldn't mind the pkb if it were usable. Blackberry spit the bit with the keyboard on this phone though, and anyone saying differently is just delusional. I don't see how anyone can claim that the keyboard on the Priv is close to being as good as it is on a phone like the Classic or even the old Bold series phones. It isn't. Its a half assed effort. I hate it.
    I find that's the problem with BlackBerry recently: half assed. I honestly can't think of a recent example where they gave it their all. The Priv isn't a phone I'd even look at now after how poorly this company has been executing with existing customers.
    You're 100% correct about that pkb on the Priv and I feel the same way about other design elements of the Priv.
    03-16-16 09:47 AM
    They should have released the priv and the non slider at the same time, same price.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    03-16-16 11:18 AM
    BlackBerry has a tendency to overcharge knowing fully well their products aren't "all that" in terms of materials used.

Lacking:
    1. Water resistance.
    2. Dust resistance.
    3. Magnesium or even the trusty aluminium chassis.
    4. No removable battery.

So precisely why are they charging us $650-700? And before some of you come at me talking about "it's not about price", hell yes it's always about the price. Give me my money's worth. If not, don't demand that much.

If you think I said it, I didn't say it.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    03-16-16 12:10 PM
    No, it's not as good a keyboard as the one the Classic has. That said, I'm used to it at this point, and I find it easy to use and have no issues with it at all. In fact, when I try to use the Passport these days, I find the keyboard too large and stiff (and it was only a short while ago that I loved the Passport keyboard). In my case, it's just a matter of getting used to the keyboard, which is a different beast from the Classic and Passport keyboards.

That's not to say that your experience is invalid - everyone responds to these differences in keyboards in their own way. I found it easy to adjust, and while I still think that the Classic keyboard was better, I like the one on the Priv too.
    fanisk likes this.
    03-16-16 12:35 PM
    Since BlackBerry outsources most of its hardware design to the manufacturer, what constitutes a "BlackBerry keyboard" anyway? I doubt there is some keyboard guru at the company that has designed all of the BlackBerry keyboards over the past decade. I'm guessing that the manufacturer sends over some prototypes for testing and selection.
    03-16-16 12:47 PM
    " if the Priv was a slab". I may actually buy one. Once there is a Hub that works properly, a Blend and a BlackBerry Link I will absolutely buy one. Till then going to keep the Z30 rocking.

Posted via CB10
    jas1978 likes this.
    03-16-16 01:13 PM
    I have had a Priv since the device launched here in the US and I rarely use the PKB except for the capacitive mouse function.

I still say if they would have updated the z30 with a better screen, processor and 64 gig on board memory, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

With all the Android device manufacturers out there they could have easily found one to keep the cost around 500-600 US like the Nexus 6p and with the Blackberry suite software, I think the device would sell. Just my 2 cents worth.
    03-16-16 03:12 PM