Microsoft announced the Surface Duo today. Dual-screen computer/phone setup, and I really like it. I'll miss the PKB but I could sacrifice it for something like this. It is the closest thing to a handheld computer we've ever had (in my opinion!) and I'm totally down for using something like that if there are to be no more BB phones (speculation, I know, but it's not looking good is it).

What about you guys?

I reckon the BB Hub on this thing would be fantastic.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/n...ures-and-specs
    10-02-19 01:20 PM
    Unnecessary double slab.

The F(x) Tec Pro 1 is far closer to a pocket computer than any slab of glass could hope to be, and for good reason.
    10-02-19 01:53 PM
    Unnecessary double slab.

The F(x) Tec Pro 1 is far closer to a pocket computer than any slab of glass could hope to be, and for good reason.
    I didn't eve know about this phone - looks good. For all those that didn't know either: https://www.fxtec.com/pro1/

Posted via CB10
    Ragbert likes this.
    10-02-19 02:02 PM
    First, you need to wait for another year to get it.
    second, why would you get something similar to 2012 Sony Duo or ZTE Axon M?
    10-02-19 02:04 PM
    I have never understood the supposed "need" for a foldable smartphone and have no desire whatsoever to acquire one.

Kudos to Microsoft, though, for giving it a shot. And I like that they are sticking with the more durable 2-screen approach in the Surface Duo vs the fragile bendable screen approach of the Samsung Galaxy Fold and others.

If you truly need ALL of the screen real estate of a foldable phone, why not just use a tablet? Or a laptop?

It just seems like companies scrambling to offer a solution for a problem that doesn't exist because "innovation".
    TgeekB and thinkdan like this.
    10-02-19 02:08 PM
    First, you need to wait for another year to get it.
    second, why would you get something similar to 2012 Sony Duo or ZTE Axon M?
    ..why wouldn't I? What does a comparison to either of those devices have to do with whether or not I see value in a product?
    10-02-19 02:36 PM
    ..why wouldn't I? What does a comparison to either of those devices have to do with whether or not I see value in a product?
    Outdated style with giant bezels.
    10-02-19 02:37 PM
    I have never understood the supposed "need" for a foldable smartphone and have no desire whatsoever to acquire one.

Kudos to Microsoft, though, for giving it a shot. And I like that they are sticking with the more durable 2-screen approach in the Surface Duo vs the fragile bendable screen approach of the Samsung Galaxy Fold and others.

If you truly need ALL of the screen real estate of a foldable phone, why not just use a tablet? Or a laptop?

It just seems like companies scrambling to offer a solution for a problem that doesn't exist because "innovation".
    Because you can't fit a tablet in your pocket! I could see myself actually working on this device, on the go, rather than bringing my laptop. A KeyOne is by far more convenient for writing on than any other smartphone I've had (using an Evolve right now), but I still have to bring my laptop. If they manage to pull off a decent Windows-like experience with their Android interpretation, then I am completely sold.
    10-02-19 02:37 PM
    Outdated style with giant bezels.
    I'm a BlackBerry user. Clearly I'm not bothered about being 'outdated'!
    10-02-19 02:38 PM
    I'm a BlackBerry user. Clearly I'm not bothered about being 'outdated'!
    Lol true 😂
    jackbuck93 likes this.
    10-02-19 02:38 PM
    Because you can't fit a tablet in your pocket! I could see myself actually working on this device, on the go, rather than bringing my laptop. A KeyOne is by far more convenient for writing on than any other smartphone I've had (using an Evolve right now), but I still have to bring my laptop. If they manage to pull off a decent Windows-like experience with their Android interpretation, then I am completely sold.
    If, by a Windows-like experience, you mean using more than one app at once, then yes, that's what they're going for. But the experience will still be very much Android-based.

You'll definitely get that deep integration with Microsoft apps and services, though.

It's good to know such a device appeals to some folks - I hope it sells well and that Microsoft can iterate on and refine the form factor.

I wish they would have kept going with their Continuum product. For years I have longed for the "one device to rule them all" approach to convergence. The HP Elite x3 and its companion Lap Dock were on the right track as far as what I personally want in a mobile device. Just give me a smartphone-sized device that I can pair with a tablet, laptop, or keyboard/monitor/mouse depending on what I need to do. But storage and processing power remain in the core smartphone-sized device.

I think Samsung Dex has the right idea, now that you can pair the Note 10 with a laptop or desktop and use Dex on them. But I'm not a huge fan of Android in general. I bet if I tried it I'd be hooked, though.

Right now I'm watching the Librem 5 very closely, not just because of its free-and-open-source nature, but because it has convergence in mind. It might just be what I've been looking for.
    10-02-19 02:53 PM
    Agree on the Librem 5's appeal.

I think that, when it comes to Microsoft vs Google, it comes down to whether integrating with Microsoft or Google SERVICES is more appealing. I run one business on G Suite and another on Office 365 with a Cloud Exchange server. For me, Google's apps are 80% finished compared to Microsoft's. For some people that doesn't matter, as Google Apps give them everything they need. But for me, if I had to choose between Google and Microsoft, it would be no contest. I could live without G Suite, but I'd have to radically change my business model if I didn't have Office 365.

Posted via CB10
    anon(10321802) and pdr733 like this.
    10-02-19 03:44 PM
    They could have a hit if it resonates with people who are always wanting a larger screen. For myself, I would not want a device that has screens on both sides when folded into phone mode.
    10-03-19 01:45 PM
    I will say that I trust Microsoft a lot more than Google when it comes to usability and interface work. Google products always feel about 80% finished to me.

So, if Microsoft delivers an Android-based phone, I'll take a good look at it.

The dual screen that Microsoft is proposing looks better than anything else I've seen because 1) it's hinged instead of foldable, and 2) I'm confident that they see it as more than a gimmick, since they aren't trying to sell a ton of hardware. Their goal is to set the bar for other OEMs.

Posted via CB10
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    10-03-19 05:49 PM
    I will say that I trust Microsoft a lot more than Google when it comes to usability and interface work. Google products always feel about 80% finished to me.

So, if Microsoft delivers an Android-based phone, I'll take a good look at it.

The dual screen that Microsoft is proposing looks better than anything else I've seen because 1) it's hinged instead of foldable, and 2) I'm confident that they see it as more than a gimmick, since they aren't trying to sell a ton of hardware. Their goal is to set the bar for other OEMs.

Posted via CB10
    Microsoft has aimed for "best in class" with their Surface hardware thus far, so I expect nothing less of the Surface Duo. And yes, I don't think they expect to move millions of the things - I expect they're trying to play the low-volume-high-profit-margin game that Apple plays so well.
    10-03-19 06:13 PM
    I can see many professionals getting onboard with this Duo. Although nowhere near as portable as a smaller slab, it provides superior functionality that a single screen phone cannot replicate. I worked in project management for many years and was regularly in phone hookups with team members working together on a live document. This dual screen device provides the perfect platform to display the document itself and use the other screen for multiple tasks to either interact with the other team members or accept web pages, files, emails etc. Sure this can be done with a phone and laptop, but I can see this device being the only device necessary for a 3 day away trip with a folding BT keyboard thrown in the suitcase for longer typing tasks.

I am hopeful MS addresses the storage of a smaller flat pen into the case somewhere. I have seen rumors suggesting that there may be a dual pen / bluetooth earpiece that will be an official accessory. The promotional video showed limited typing in conventional 'laptop' mode with one screen as a touch landscape VKB. I would think that for long text input, a single portrait view may be better. The width of this device may be the perfect middle ground between the width of the Passport and the Classic.

MS will ensure that the software for core functions works as best as it can. This is the core functions of the device and they must be perfect on release. From the brief demo I have seen, it has great prospects. Even though it has 2 screens and may come 2nd on the specs dream list when compared to the galaxy folder and other single flexible screen offerings, I believe it will be a robust unit that will be able to manage hard work over long periods. I doubt the Samsung offering will achieve that.

A clamshell design brings a few issues that will need addressing. The main one is notifications and being able to determine what they are and the importance of. I assume this will be managed by either a decent LCD light or a small external screen. It will need something to avoid opening the device every time it vibrates or makes a noise.
    tazcubed likes this.
    10-04-19 02:24 AM
    After saw microsoft event, I think I can get to work with this If no more BB, then Surface Duo...-sduo.jpeg
    10-07-19 01:11 AM
    The large issue with the surface line of products which I am aware of, is the ability to boot any GNU/Linux distribution (because, we all want choices too), even if it's dual-boot, pending the SSD is large enough (256GB is swell, 32GB would suck) for both environments.

Surface/Pro 1, 2, 3 are incompatible in terms of the touch screen (is it serial, because it's not found when doing a hardware probe, or using lsusb). I have NOT verified the Surface Book yet. It's in the plans when I get time.

I thought I would bring that into the conversation.

From my BlackBerry Q5 on Freedom Mobile 3G HSPA+
    10-07-19 10:54 PM
    We are likely talking about a $1,500 device. The Duo will cost a lot more than current flagship phones.

========== Composed and edited on the exceptional BlackBerry VKB on my trusty Z10. Any typographic errors, misspells, or grammatical errors are likely due to my inattention and lack of interest in word-perfect communications on an Internet tech fan forum.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-08-19 08:45 AM
    After saw microsoft event, I think I can get to work with this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDUO.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	446366
    I'll get to work with this lolIf no more BB, then Surface Duo...-screenshot_20191008-110153.jpeg
    10-08-19 10:11 AM
    I'll get to work with this lolClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191008-110153.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	446392
    Some words come to mind when I see that device:

Clunky
    Unbalanced
    Poor ergonomics

Maybe you should start practicing 15 min/day on a VKB to become proficient. The writing is on the wall.
    10-08-19 08:58 PM
    Some words come to mind when I see that device:

Clunky
    Unbalanced
    Poor ergonomics

Maybe you should start practicing 15 min/day on a VKB to become proficient. The writing is on the wall.
    I am proficient on a VKB.

I'm on a PKB by choice.

And that Pro 1 still has my interest but have yet to have held one.
    10-11-19 05:56 AM
    I am proficient on a VKB.

I'm on a PKB by choice.

And that Pro 1 still has my interest but have yet to have held one.
    There is no way anybody could type efficiently on this device. Any perceived benefits from a PKB would be negated by this design.

In fact, typing on a Microsoft Duo in both landscape and portrait would be more efficient
    10-11-19 10:44 AM
    I had the MS Surface 2 13" laptop. The most advanced and expensive ever, and as high quality as an Apple Mac Pro, with a unique detachable tablet screen. I sold it after a month as it wasn't as portable as I thought it would be. It's pitched to not compete with other laptops.
    The new MS offerings look equally high quality. Here's the presentation of the full range.

the presenter is a real character. Trying to win most nonchalant and relaxed new product presenter ever.
    10-11-19 11:24 AM
    There is no way anybody could type efficiently on this device. Any perceived benefits from a PKB would be negated by this design.

In fact, typing on a Microsoft Duo in both landscape and portrait would be more efficient
    I have a hard time believing that the (small) team who designed the Pro 1 didn't have ergonomics come across their head during the designing process.

However, initially I did feel like it would be too heavy and large to type comfortably on... and that may still be true, but it would make no sense for them to make a specialized device and botch the most important thing about it.
    10-11-19 12:35 PM
26 12