...what does that mean for RIM? The latest rumor is that MS is building their own tablet to compete in the low-end, media space. Does this mean nothing, or does it suck the oxygen out of the room for others in the space? It would represent a huge shift in strategy for MS. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I'm pretty sure I don't like it.

Thoughts?
    06-18-12 03:57 PM
    I don't think it is designed to be your everyday tablet.

I think it will be designed as designated hardware for SmartGlass and will pretty much a controller for the Xbox 360.

I don't expect to see people sitting on the plane playing Angry Birds on this device.
    06-18-12 04:05 PM
    I don't think it is designed to be your everyday tablet.

I think it will be designed as designated hardware for SmartGlass and will pretty much a controller for the Xbox 360.

I don't expect to see people sitting on the plane playing Angry Birds on this device.
    I would agree except they just finished with E3, the place to announce a new game controller. Also, they called a major press conference, for what, a game controller for xbox? Most analysts are talking about a tablet, not a peripheral. WSJ is usually very reliable about this sort of thing.
    06-18-12 04:10 PM
    I would agree except they just finished with E3, the place to announce a new game controller. Also, they called a major press conference, for what, a game controller for xbox? Most analysts are talking about a tablet, not a peripheral. WSJ is usually very reliable about this sort of thing.
    I've been reading that there is some sort of Xbox tie-in.

Apple only dreams of events as unpredictable as this.
    06-18-12 04:17 PM
    I think Microsoft will try to create a niche for themselves in the tablet market, just like Amazon did with the Kinde Fire. Most companies don't want to make an iPad competitor, and the Playbook was intended to take on the iPad.
    06-18-12 04:22 PM
    I've been reading that there is some sort of Xbox tie-in.

Apple only dreams of events as unpredictable as this.
    The last time we got this level of unpredictability from Apple, we got the iPod HiFi, and, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe we also got iPod socks at that event. Unpredictability is not always your friend.
    06-18-12 04:23 PM
    I think Microsoft will try to create a niche for themselves in the tablet market, just like Amazon did with the Kinde Fire. Most companies don't want to make an iPad competitor, and the Playbook was intended to take on the iPad.
    Perhaps MS should take a closer look a KF sales. They are down to embers. There is also no proof that Amazon has made a profit on them, yet. There is also the sticky little matter of MS manufacturing partners.
    06-18-12 04:26 PM
    The last time we got this level of unpredictability from Apple, we got the iPod HiFi, and, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe we also got iPod socks at that event. Unpredictability is not always your friend.
    I'd much rather have a teaser before an event, but Apple tries to be super secretive and their new products always leak or are left behind in bars
    06-18-12 04:27 PM
    MS is going to have a hard time getting consumers or OEMs to pay a premium for an tablet/OS that needs to be licensed when Android is free, so them making their own tablet makes sense. Look at the buy in for WP7, they basically had to install a former MS employee at Nokia as the CEO and give them tons of cash to get an OEM to really back WP7, and it still isn't doing well. Also from everything I have read a W8 tablet with the same hardware as an Android tablet will likely cost close to $200 more. I keep hearing that people want the same OS on tablets and PC's and phones, but I wonder how long it will be before they want some strange . I like that my Playbook is nothing like my Mac's OS X, and my phone isn't like my Playbook.
    06-18-12 04:28 PM
    I don't think Microsoft is making 7" tablet will hurt RIM. Microsoft never succeed of doing anything anyway beside Windows Operating System. If RIM didn't mess up when they first released their Playbook, it would be the only Playbook that can compete with Ipad.
    06-18-12 04:54 PM
    It really doesn't mean much to RIM.

The playbook failed. You can argue that it's selling more now, etc... but it's just being heavily discounted and RIM is just using it for platform testing to help with their BB10 efforts.

Whether MS fails or succeeds with their tablet, won't mean a thing for the Playbook as it's fate has been set for a while now.
    06-18-12 05:53 PM
    I don't think Microsoft is making 7" tablet will hurt RIM. Microsoft never succeed of doing anything anyway beside Windows Operating System. If RIM didn't mess up when they first released their Playbook, it would be the only Playbook that can compete with Ipad.
    Are you serious? Winmo7 may not be popular, however the Xbox 360 is successful along with kinect...

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk
    06-18-12 06:09 PM
    Well, looks like it is a 10" tablet, going head to head with iPad.

Of course it has Netflix. Wonder if it will have Skype?

Edit: make that two 10" tablets I guess.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 06-18-12 at 06:39 PM.
    06-18-12 06:27 PM
    Ballmer just called it Microsoft Surface. Another tablet. Pictures with the link:

Surface by Microsoft
    06-18-12 06:34 PM
    One big problem with their new Surface tablet: Metro.
    06-18-12 06:41 PM
    Here it is Microsoft tablet calls Surface:

BlackStormRising likes this.
    06-18-12 06:42 PM
    I wonder what will happen to the Playbook once BB10 is released and is credited for being a major player?
    06-18-12 06:58 PM
    PB 4G is dead. There is simply no room for it now, IMO. Even if Surface fails, it will get a large enough slice of the (ABA) crowd to make the PB a non-starter.

What manufacturer in their right mind, would partner with MS now?
    06-18-12 07:04 PM
    MS has the problem of starting and not following through. See: Zune, Kin...

Sometimes they tough it out, as they did the xbox, but more often than not they abandon products instead of trying to figure out what it takes to make them successful. even the xbox only thrives because MS has completely abandoned the PC as a gaming platform.

So if this contraption doesn't set the world on fire, MS will just drop it like a hot potato. RIM isn't abandoning Playbook in the least because they don't have the cash and market presence that allows MS to pss off millions of people and still survive.
    06-18-12 07:06 PM
    I love the keyboards!
    06-18-12 07:13 PM
    Unless my eyes deceive me, that thing is trying to morph into a bona fide laptop. Could be another misadventure.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    06-18-12 07:41 PM
    This will likely be my next tab, given that it will presumably have much tighter integration with the PC. I can also give my netbook to one of my kids.
    06-19-12 06:37 AM
    If RIM didn't mess up when they first released their Playbook, it would be the only Playbook that can compete with Ipad.
    Just bask in the sheer brilliance of this statement.

OK..... moving on.......
    Shlooky and hpjrt like this.
    06-19-12 09:57 AM
    Unless my eyes deceive me, that thing is trying to morph into a bona fide laptop. Could be another misadventure.
    Misadventure? I doubt that especially considering how many tablets offer a full keyboard
    accessory. This just makes one less thing for the end user to have to shell out for. That I
    think is a winner of an idea.
    06-19-12 10:05 AM
    Misadventure? I doubt that especially considering how many tablets offer a full keyboard
    accessory. This just makes one less thing for the end user to have to shell out for. That I
    think is a winner of an idea.
    Did MS say the keyboard cover would be free in the box? I highly doubt that since they come in different colors.
    06-19-12 11:26 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD