There were high profile rumors a few weeks back about a potential acquisition of BBRY by the Chinese. If this happens, will you remain a customer, or will such an event damage your loyalty?

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 06:46 PM
    Just bought my Z10, so I'd stay for a while. But next upgrade I'd leave. And they could kiss all their US Fed business goodbye. Lenovo management is appointed by the Chinese government.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 06:50 PM
    If there were new management and/or ownership, it would be on them to damage my loyalty or to preserve it. I wouldn't have a particular bias.
    04-08-13 06:50 PM
    I would be disappointed and the Z10 would be the last BB I would own.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 06:51 PM
    Academic, because it won't happen. For one thing, Lenovo can't afford BB. Seriously, they don't have the cash.

Second, even if Lenovo could get financing for a deal, they'd need to find enough stockholders willing to sell at, say, the $19-22 level, and I'm not sure they could get enough support for that at this point.

A more interesting and slightly more likely scenario would have Lenovo licensing BB10.
    04-08-13 06:55 PM
    Not only do they not have enough cash they are a third of Blackberry size

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 07:00 PM
    Lenovo? I am pretty sure there are a lot of goverment agencies around the world that would try to prevent that from happening. In the hands of the Chinese goverment BB would no longer be secure.
    04-08-13 07:21 PM
    Will never happen period!

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 07:45 PM
    Nope. I would buy an I - phone

BlackBerry Z10-Go Leafs Go
    04-08-13 07:48 PM
    That's a decision I'd have to make after it happens. One can only guess at the direction they would take, so it really all depends on what they would do with BlackBerry.

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    04-08-13 07:55 PM
    Lenovo? I am pretty sure there are a lot of goverment agencies around the world that would try to prevent that from happening. In the hands of the Chinese goverment BB would no longer be secure.
    This. And if I recall correctly. The Canadian govt has already said they would "Watch" closely if this conversation ever progressed. Won't happen. As mentioned BlackBerry would lose all govt contracts and likely many fortune 500 ones as well.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    04-08-13 07:58 PM
    Reply to OP:

Nope.
    04-08-13 08:19 PM
    They could do a leveraged buyout, and I am sure a bunch of Private Equity folks would be interested. So let's assume an acquisition is possible, and the deal goes through, will that be enough for you to defect to other brands?

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 08:21 PM
    Won't happen. Even if they made a hostile bid, they have the Canadian government to deal with as well as shareholder rights plan (poison pill).
    bintheredundat likes this.
    04-08-13 08:21 PM
    If Lenovo buys BlackBerry, I am done as a BlackBerry customer. I would immediately sell my Z10 and Playbook and move to another platform.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    04-08-13 08:57 PM
    I'd be gone baby gone.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 09:01 PM
    Hypothetical are stupid. Lenova is not going to buy BBRY. MSFT should buy them but they are to arrogant to consider it.
    fedakd likes this.
    04-08-13 09:04 PM
    If Lenovo buys BlackBerry, I am done as a BlackBerry customer. I would immediately sell my Z10 and Playbook and move to another platform.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    I'd do exact same with out thinking twice but lenovo would never buy BB here's a good article saying why http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/fp...ing-blackberry

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    TSupport your local paramedics...Run with scissors.
    04-08-13 09:15 PM
    Canadian government wouldn't let it happen, we have alot invested in RIM so far, and not to mention it would compromise security to the device - every government would jump ship because the Chinese would have access to their data.

Edit - And I would immediately jump ship.
    04-08-13 09:18 PM
    All I can see is bias. What if MS buys BlackBerry?
    04-08-13 09:25 PM
    Proof that American prognosticators aren't the only ones capable of trying to start wild rumours and hoping they snowball into something bigger.
    04-08-13 09:26 PM
    Why is that bias? If the Chinese would buy out BlackBerry, I'd want nothing to do with it, not cause it is another company owning it but because it is the "Chinese government", I wouldn't want it no matter which government owned it.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 10:28 PM
    No. I would be gone like the wind.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 10:28 PM
    HTC is a more attractive target for Lenovo anyway. The acquisition cost would be far cheaper as HTC is a smaller company and its business, like BB's has faltered pretty badly over the last couple of years. Not to say that they don't make nice phones; the One is a stunner, regardless of whether you think there's a resemblance to the Z10 or not.

As others have said, a Lenovo bid for BB would probably cause government agencies to go to a different "Western" supplier (Apple or Microsoft come to mind). And BB's patent portfolio would add a good bit to the price; I doubt even Lenovo knows what they'd do with the patents anyway. They are a hardware manufacturer, so buying up intellectual property like QNX seems pretty risky.
    04-08-13 11:01 PM
    I like BlackBerry being their own company. I'd probably stay though, as long as they kept the hardware and stuff the same. Like when Daimler-Benz merged with/bought Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep.........it was called Daimler-Chrysler, but all the Mercedes/Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep cars remained true to their brand identities and Mercedes wasn't "cheapened" by the Chrysler brands, and Dodge Ram trucks remained American, etc.

So if the buyout/takeover were something like that, where BlackBerry was still the BlackBerry I've been knowing and loving these last 6 years, I'd stick around.
    04-09-13 12:47 AM
42 12