Hello,

I'm thinking about moving from my palm centro to a blackberry. Mainly, I really like the BlackBerry Messaging and the interface and what not of the blackberry. But I have a few questions before I can make the switch. Here is the thing, my contract isn't up. I have AT&T and I'm locked in for at least another year.

My question is, if I buy an AT&T blackberry from newegg.com with no contract and just pop in the sim from my palm centro will the blackberry work? Will I have my unlimited data and what not?

Also, I know I won't have the ability to use blackberry messaging and native blackberry apps because I don't have that plan. Can I add that to my contract at any time? If I do, will it lock me in for another 2 years? Will there be a fee?

Thanks for all your help.
    07-11-08 08:27 PM
    I have always used a cdma network, however it is my understanding that you can simply insert your sim card into the new device. Adding a data plan definitely will not extend your contract, provided your carrier doesn't make you extend any time you wish to change your plan. Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-08 08:30 PM
    When I was with AT&T about a year ago, I was able to make changes to my plan all the time without extending my contract. I went from a iphone plan to a bb plan. AFAIK that hasn't changed.

They usually only want you to extend your contract when you buy a new phone as they take a loss on the cost of the phone and make it up in the fees over the length of your new contract.

07-11-08 08:32 PM
    Go for it!!!!!!
    All Blackberry apps are available for use as long as you have a data plan.

You can buy a phone off ebay or any were, as long as it's ATT, and they shouldn't make you sign a contract or charge more fees.
    So wait, with my unlimited data will I be able to use blackberry messaging? If not, do I need that ON TOP of my unlimited data plan or will the blackberry "Personal" plan cover internet use ect.

Thanks.
    07-11-08 08:44 PM
    No, your data plan will include the messenger.

07-11-08 08:46 PM
    Wow, thanks! That is some pretty awesome stuff right there.
    07-11-08 09:07 PM
    But u do have to call them. I switched from a centro to a bb and while the pricing is the same for both data plans, they are different features so u can't use the data until they change it. And way to go on making a brilliant decision!

07-11-08 10:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD