Does that mean I could hypothetically use a 3 UK unlimited data SIM for cellphones anywhere in the EU?

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 04:37 AM
    Yes - but I don't expect it anytime soon!

And as always - there will be a compromise - so something like only 64kbit/s while roaming...
    12-04-13 04:40 AM
    Does that mean I could hypothetically use a 3 UK unlimited data SIM for cellphones anywhere in the EU?

Posted via CB10
    Yes in theory - which is one of the intended outcomes - to force competition in the EU across boarders by (counter-intuitively) reducing the number of carriers via competition and the remove of barriers to entry.

And as always - there will be a compromise - so something like only 64kbit/s while roaming...
    Pretty sure the commission has already thought of that and will have hefty sanctions in place for anyone who tries it...
    12-04-13 04:40 AM
    I'm sure the grasping and avaricious networks will find a way round the problem, maybe limiting you to no more than 10 days roaming service (or maximum n% of your data usage in any billing period) without an extra-cost facility. Remember, this is Ripoff-Britain
    12-04-13 04:42 AM
    I'm sure the grasping and avaricious networks will find a way round the problem, maybe limiting you to no more than 10 days roaming service (or maximum n% of your data usage in any billing period) without an extra-cost facility. Remember, this is Ripoff-Britain
    As above, this will be prohibited, when they say "no roaming charges" they mean no roaming charges - you will not be able to charge extra for a consumer using their device in another EU country in any way - whatever you charge the consumer at home that is what they get in the rest of Europe - so if you give them unlimited data, then they have access to unlimited data. We currently have 28 markets, the aim is to get us to one.
    12-04-13 04:45 AM
    Yes in theory - which is one of the intended outcomes - to force competition in the EU across boarders by (counter-intuitively) reducing the number of carriers via competition and the remove of barriers to entry..
    More likely the cellular providers will simply cancel existing roaming agreements by mutual agreement. Most likely a regular home-user service will have (limited or zero) roaming rights, and and roaming users will be forced to "upgrade" to a premium level service which allows roaming, or a shift to a short term contract with an overseas provider. Watch the Brussels Burrocraps roll over when that happens and all their phones stop working.
    12-04-13 04:53 AM
    More likely the cellular providers will simply cancel existing roaming agreements by mutual agreement. Most likely a regular home-user service will have (limited or zero) roaming rights, and and roaming users will be forced to "upgrade" to a premium level service which allows roaming, or a shift to a short term contract with an overseas provider. Watch the Brussels Burrocraps roll over when that happens and all their phones stop working.
    There is a reason they will not do that - that is a material change to terms and conditions and pretty much everyone on a contract would be able to walk without penalty, everyone.
    12-04-13 10:01 AM
    Yeah I'm talking about the 3 UK prepaid (pay as you go) unlimited for like 20 pounds

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 10:29 AM
    Yeah I'm talking about the 3 UK prepaid (pay as you go) unlimited for like 20 pounds

Posted via CB10

Just as an aside, you should look at the sim only rolling contracts, I did mine via a cashback site and it works out about �13 for unlimited data and the other bits.
    12-04-13 10:58 AM
    Is it 3UK only got 11 country for roaming free (including USA of I am not mistaken).

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 11:47 AM