All this blame game going around about loyal BB10 users being the reason that BlackBerry may fail is just pure BS. This talk that if you don't like the Priv, then you are selfish and want BlackBerry to fail. BlackBerry came out with BB10 around Jan. 2013? Since then they have come out with quite a few BB10 devices and developed a loyal following.

The lack of advertising, high end all touch devices and BB10 app developers is what was killing the company.

Now that BlackBerry has gone android, the general feeling is that BB10 is going to just fade away and that is what is going to kill app development and future BB10 sales.

BlackBerry did all this to themselves. I really like BB10 and wanted an all touch high end BB10 device for a long time. BlackBerry didn't listen to people like me and keeps releasing PKB devices (Priv included) and can't understand why no one wants them.

The market for a PKB or slider is long gone. The money is in all touch and BlackBerry still does not get that.
    So what does BlackBerry do??? They move to android with a slider!! Really?

So people that don't want a slider (99% of the population) and most loyal BB10 users that don't want android are not going to buy the Priv and that's selfish or our fault? No, It's BlackBerry's. If the Priv fails as I think it will, don't blame me/us. Blame yourself BlackBerry.
    Asvertus, Q10Bold, acovey and 4 others like this.
    01-03-16 11:59 AM
    No one is blaming you.

BB10 had lost the war before it was even released. This has been discussed at length on many other threads. The platform wars are primarily wars of ecosystems, not of OSs, though of course, the OS is part of it. The biggest part is the ecosystem, and BB10 couldn't overcome starting 6 years behind. Most people knew this before BB10 hit the first developer device. It has nothing to do with the quality of the OS - BB10 has developed into a fine OS, but without an ecosystem, it had no chance of success, because success requires mainstream (not niche) appeal, and that means apps, services, and third-party hardware & accessory support.

Your loyalty to BB10 is noted, but without mainstream sales, it isn't enough. Chen was brought in to save BB the company, not BB10 the OS. He will almost certainly save the company - at least long enough to sell it - but it probably won't be a company that consumer smartphone users are going to care about at that point.
    01-03-16 12:21 PM
    Bb10 came to market far too late.

Apple and Android were already established as the most popular mobile OS.

BlackBerry did it too themselves.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-16 12:41 PM
    Consider if you will, the following scene:

FADE IN
    BNN WEBSITE
    DAY OF THE NEXT QUARTERLY REPORT
    HEADLINE: "John Chen blames loyal users for BlackBerry's financial woes"

CUT TO 'TWO SHOT' OF KANWAR AND A VISIBLY INTOXICATED CHEN
    AMBER: "John, in this unusually candid moment, who do you blame for the failure of the Priv?"
    JOHN: "CrackBerry fanbois in general are to blame, but it's that little ***** Lift who I hold personally responsible!"

PUSH IN ON AMBER POINTING FINGER AND STARING DIRECTLY INTO THE LENS
    AMBER: "See what you have done to this powerful and sexy man. I will find you!"

<snip/>
    NARRATOR: "...of grandeur, in the Twilight Zone."

Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 01-03-16 at 04:50 PM.
    GadgetTravel, TgeekB and TGR1 like this.
    01-03-16 12:59 PM
    Lol, I blame the Blackberry Avengers.

If BlackBerry goes under, don't blame loyal BB10 users-blackberry-avengers-3.jpg
    lift and oldtimeBBaddict like this.
    01-03-16 01:46 PM
    A top notch all touch BlackBerry 10 device might have helped - ecosystem or no ecosystem.

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    lift, Asvertus, SimbaZ30 and 1 others like this.
    01-03-16 01:55 PM
    No one is blaming you.
    Of course what I meant by me is 'us'. The BB10 lovers and users that helped keep this company alive this long. I just feel like BlackBerry thinks that we don't matter just because there are not enough of us to keep the money rolling in.
    BlackBerry: "We're going android to cash in on all those android lovers, we'll toss a keyboard on the device to keep the loyal PKB users happy. If the BB10 hold outs don't like it, tough crap. We don't need them, we are going to have a whole bunch of shiny new customers!"
    01-03-16 01:59 PM
    A top notch all touch BlackBerry 10 device might have helped - ecosystem or no ecosystem.

Many of us have been saying this for a long time. BlackBerry does not listen.
    01-03-16 01:59 PM
    Of course what I meant by me is 'us'. The BB10 lovers and users that helped keep this company alive this long. I just feel like BlackBerry thinks that we don't matter just because there are not enough of us to keep the money rolling in.
    BlackBerry: "We're going android to cash in on all those android lovers, we'll toss a keyboard on the device to keep the loyal PKB users happy. If the BB10 hold outs don't like it, tough crap. We don't need them, we are going to have a whole bunch of shiny new customers!"
    You're pretty on target with this, but what do you expect? They have a responsibility to shareholders and by recent climb in price, shareholders approve of this attitude. Shareholders want to make profit, not interested with BlackBerry losing money always with BB10.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-16 02:30 PM
    I tend to agree with Troy on this topic, I have been using Blackberry since the early days and they never listened to what the consumer was asking for.

There is enough blame to go around and that's water over the bridge at this point in time. As with Troy, BB10 was dead before it even got started.

It was over a year late being released and Android & IOS had already established themselves as the dominant OS platforms in the marketplace.

I think Blackberry made the right move going the Android route and as much as I loved OS10 and it's great features, it's about market share and survival at this point in time.

I only hope that the Priv will generate enough support to keep the device division going for a while. The worst case would be they survive as a software and security company and at least make the Blackberry suite available on the Google play store, either way, I am in for the long haul.
    qwerty4ever and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-03-16 02:36 PM
    If the BB10 hold outs don't like it, tough crap. We don't need them, we are going to have a whole bunch of shiny new customers!"
    It sounds like you expect Blackberry to cater to its loyal customer base first. Your initial clue that it wouldn't be that way should have been the hiring of John Chen who is definitely not a smartphone guy. His first move - cancelling all of the existing BB10 hardware projects except the Passport which was too far along - couldn't have been pulled out of thin air. He had to have support from the Board and major shareholders for this. You don't take over a smartphone company and cancel its major products on a whim. He also immediately began talks with Google about switching to Android.

It has nothing to do with BB10 users. If the handset business fails then it will be either because the Android strategy wasn't executed soon enough, or well enough.
    southlander likes this.
    01-03-16 02:37 PM
    It sounds like you expect Blackberry to cater to its loyal customer base first. Your initial clue that it wouldn't be that way should have been the hiring of John Chen who is definitely not a smartphone guy. His first move - cancelling all of the existing BB10 hardware projects except the Passport which was too far along - couldn't have been pulled out of thin air. He had to have support from the Board and major shareholders for this. You don't take over a smartphone company and cancel its major products on a whim. He also immediately began talks with Google about switching to Android.

It has nothing to do with BB10 users. If the handset business fails then it will be either because the Android strategy wasn't executed soon enough, or well enough.
    In all fairness to Board and Chen, the strategy followed has been to keep company from bankruptcy and ending up like Palm.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-16 02:41 PM
    Many of us have been saying this for a long time. BlackBerry does not listen.
    Probably because we don't know the numbers of sales generated by all touch vs Keyboard phones. John Chen is a total numbers guy. He knows what phones sold in higher numbers in the past. I am sure if the early high end touch phones had sold well he would have released a new one. Even then the best chip BB had for BB10 was the 801 Snapdragon.
    TGR1 likes this.
    01-03-16 02:56 PM
    ""The market for a PKB or slider is long gone. The money is in all touch and BlackBerry still does not get that. ""

I think the slider coming back had alot to do with surveys that we are not supposed to talk about.
    01-03-16 02:56 PM
    It doesn't take much confidential surveying. You talk to a few key customers and ask them "What would keep you buying BlackBerry smartphones?" The responses you get back are likely to be: "keyboard", "apps", and "security."

BB10? Not so much. If you're not personally invested in BB10 - and those guys were fired - then what you see is a lot of expense for something your customers aren't specifically asking for. You would keep it as long as you aspire to be one of the major smartphone platforms but once that's off the table then you're just trying to facilitate your customer base making the transition. John Chen said as much when he said he was hoping that he could get Android to the point where BB10 users would find it meets their needs.
    southlander likes this.
    01-03-16 03:13 PM
    As has been acknowledged throughout this thread, BlackBerry 10 is an excellent phone OS.

But, as also has been pointed out, its demise can be laid squarely on BlackBerry Management.

Bottom line: He who hesitates is lost!

......and BlackBerry hesitated for six years.

In the end, BlackBerry 10 has gone unused by the masses and they will never know what they missed.

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition 10.3.2.2876 on T-Mobile
    lift, acovey, SimbaZ30 and 1 others like this.
    01-03-16 03:38 PM
    I hate to break it to you, but that is exactly how BB feels. There simply aren't enough BB fans who will buy whatever BB sells, regardless of its limitations, and the investors of the company simply aren't going to tolerate ongoing financial losses. So, yes, BB doesn't care about BB10 fans, because BB10's fans can't make them profitable, only mainstream users can do that (or dumping smartphones entirely, which I strongly believe is the long-term plan).

I think you are so upset because you've envisioned yourself being in a much more serious relationship with BB than BB actually has with you. Many BB10 fans have become "Overly-Attached Girlfriend" and can't understand why their devotion isn't being returned from a person that means everything to them, but to whom they barely even acknowledge.

01-03-16 04:17 PM

Well you are using a classic. I'm sure at some point they wondered 'do we make the passport and the full touch or do we make the classic?'

They can't successfully develop, produce, and market that many devices at once. Not to mention supporting them once they are sold..
    01-03-16 04:29 PM
    BlackBerry won't fail. They'll probably have to shut down their smartphone business, but that's not the same thing.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    paulbbp likes this.
    01-03-16 04:34 PM
    Hate to break up the thread y'all but BlackBerry isn't going under anytime soon.

The Q5 is still alive, so quit talking jive.

Posted via CB10
    paulbbp and skstrials like this.
    01-03-16 04:40 PM
    With the release of Priv running craproid, it will be a success. Now if only they can secure it like BlackBerry 10 and give the true BlackBerry 10 experience it would soar!

Posted via CB10
    01-03-16 04:42 PM
    They had the chance to bring a new fulltouch successor. But they brought out the Leap, a downgraded Z30.
    Then wondering why the so long asked fulltouch wouldn sell.

Posted from my Z30 (10.3.2.2876)
    lift and SimbaZ30 like this.
    01-03-16 04:55 PM
    They had the chance to bring a new fulltouch successor. But they brought out the Leap, a downgraded Z30.
    Then wondering why the so long asked fulltouch wouldn sell.

Posted from my Z30 (10.3.2.2876)
    Why does everyone assume that a new high end full touch would have been the answer? The Z10 and Z30 did not sell well. Why keep beating a dead horse?

Posted via CB10
    paulbbp and acovey like this.
    01-03-16 09:35 PM
    Hi End = Hi price, and with the endless whining about how expensive the Priv is, I would imagine your beloved Hi End all touch bb10 device would have also been met with whining chorus of "too expensive" because it probably would have cost about the same (yes, they would have saved by not having the slider, but may have added a better front facing camera and other stuff).

My only beef with the "BlackBerry loyal" is their tendency to flood every Priv thread with whining about android and bb10 superiority. We get it, now please move along...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    paulbbp likes this.
    01-03-16 10:28 PM
    Bb10 came to market far too late.

Apple and Android were already established as the most popular mobile OS.

BlackBerry did it too themselves.

Posted via CB10
    6 years too late
    SimbaZ30 likes this.
    01-03-16 10:57 PM
121 123 ...