Make the next great keyboard phone.

I am optimistic that they will survive, but where do keyboard lovers go if they don't? They are the only one catering to the niche, which is why I am optimistic.

Discuss.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry_Boss and sati01 like this.
    03-28-14 09:30 PM
    Some Android makers still produce keyboard units.

Funny thing is, everyone who has a blog and braingas has said BlackBerry wouldn't survive the next year. I'd say for at least the last 3 years.

They're preparing 3 new releases as soon as possible. Pretty lively corpse, isn't it?
    Last edited by BergerKing; 03-29-14 at 09:43 AM.
    potatoguy and clickitykeys like this.
    03-28-14 09:32 PM

I am optimistic that they will survive, but where do keyboard lovers go if they don't? They are the only one catering to the niche, which is why I am optimistic.

Discuss.
    Let's hope BBRY doesn't fail. Sentimental reasons aside, consumers are best served by several different options.

However, the theoretical question fascinates me somewhat. Several Android OEMs have tried, but there may not be enough sales to make it profitable lead project. I'm sure if there was a gulf created by the pretend disappearance of BBRY, someone (Android or even WP8 device maker) would try, but I suspect we'd see a few more sliders as a result.

The fact that no one has seriously challenged BBRY in this area tells me that it might not be considered great ROI-wise.
    03-28-14 09:36 PM
    On the Crackberry Podcast today, Kevin talks about his friends who were Blackbkerry keyboard lovers who he gave the Typo to when they switched to iPhones. They all used it for a while and then decided that they didn't need the Typo anymore. One of the other podcaster, I think Chris Umi related that messages are either getting shorter or voice recognition replaces the long text and that the screen real estate is much more important, now. The point was that most people who are keyboard-lovers eventually decide to switch to slabs.
    03-28-14 09:49 PM
    On the Crackberry Podcast today, Kevin talks about his friends who were Blackbkerry keyboard lovers who he gave the Typo to when they switched to iPhones. They all used it for a while and then decided that they didn't need the Typo anymore. One of the other podcaster, I think Chris Umi related that messages are either getting shorter or voice recognition replaces the long text and that the screen real estate is much more important, now. The point was that most people who are keyboard-lovers eventually decide to switch to slabs.
    I do agree that like or not, that demographic is shrinking. Heck, even some Z10 users are saying they won't go back no matter what.
    03-28-14 09:53 PM
    NULL
    Last edited by soundscan9800; 09-28-14 at 08:04 AM.
    03-28-14 09:56 PM
    My company! Lol. I'm preparing for the day. Hey, one can dream.
    is this Ryan Seachrest? Maybe you should sell your company to Blackberry. Perhaps keyboards will always have a future as smartphone cases.
    03-28-14 10:05 PM
    I think if finally BlackBerry 10 line fails, BlackBerry will go android since the keyboard demand is still there for those ppl who need that

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 10:13 PM
    I would give an windows phone a try if they did a keyboard phone.

But let's hope that BlackBerry does not fail. I still will not be going Android, I hated using the galaxy s3 that was given to me.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    03-28-14 10:37 PM
    I'd buy a Nokia if they made a keyboard phone. I was a Nokia user before I went BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 11:09 PM
    They're not going to fail. At worst, they'd make one qwerty phone a year, I'd say. If something crazy happened, I'd also say BlackBerry would sell their keyboard patents and technology to some android manufacturer, so they could create a device and slap "with BlackBerry keyboard technology" on the box, to cater to ex- BlackBerry users.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 12:34 AM
    Fact is, a little over two years ago, I never believed I'd ever get along with a virtual keyboard. I found out I was wrong, and I've added about 15K posts, and a couple thousand PMs since then.

I loved physical keyboard, then a brief fling with a 9850 Torch freed me to enjoy a larger screen. And now I enjoy a 7" Tablet that compliments my 5" touchscreen phone.
    03-29-14 02:26 AM

Discuss.

Posted via CB10
    If BB falls then don't expect phones to come with a HW Keyboard, but rather, expect more accessories like Typo, coming in different styles, sizes for diff size screens and colours.
    03-29-14 02:28 AM
    I was anti blackberry and anti keyboard until BlackBerry 10 q10... don't get me wrong I can type fast on an iPhone but I still much prefer a q10 for typing and I use it as my main phone.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    03-29-14 03:10 AM
    Let's hope BBRY doesn't fail. Sentimental reasons aside, consumers are best served by several different options.

However, the theoretical question fascinates me somewhat. Several Android OEMs have tried, but there may not be enough sales to make it profitable lead project. I'm sure if there was a gulf created by the pretend disappearance of BBRY, someone (Android or even WP8 device maker) would try, but I suspect we'd see a few more sliders as a result.

The fact that no one has seriously challenged BBRY in this area tells me that it might not be considered great ROI-wise.
    I've played around with quite a few "android" keyboard phones. None of them come close to my bold or q10...

Posted via CB10
    anon(7915689) likes this.
    03-29-14 03:12 AM
    Don't call me a troll, but Nokia did a very good job with their keyboards, and they will want to go again with that route, as evidently pointed with their Ashas and non Winmo devices. They are still selling the phones with keyboards very well.

But, I doubt BlackBerry will be dead that soon, or even be dead at all.

But if you're looking for a cheap BlackBerry device as a communicator phone while you do anything other on your other phone, the BlackBerry Q5 is a wonderful choice.
    03-29-14 05:02 AM
    I bet the BlackBerry patents would be worth some money. It would be nice to see Windows Phone buy them.

From the Z30
    03-29-14 05:33 AM
    it needs to be top notch
    03-29-14 05:58 AM
    Fact is, a little over two years ago, I never believed I'd ever get along with a virtual keyboard. I found out I was wrong, and I've added about 15K posts, and a couple thousand PMs since then.

I loved physical keyboard, then a brief fling with a 9850 Torch freed me to enjoy a larger screen. And now I enjoy a 7" Tablet that compliments my 5" touchscreen phone.
    You weren't alone. There were thousands of posts on here from people saying they would "never use a slab phone". I wonder how many of them now use a z10 or z30?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    BergerKing likes this.
    03-29-14 06:40 AM
    I bet the BlackBerry patents would be worth some money. It would be nice to see Windows Phone buy them.

From the Z30
    Who with WP? Microsoft or Nokia?

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    03-29-14 06:42 AM
    No one will. No one besides BlackBerry makes decent keyboard devices. If another manufacturer does make a keyboard device, its some low end POS.

03-29-14 06:44 AM
    No one will. No one besides BlackBerry makes decent keyboard devices. If another manufacturer does make a keyboard device, its some low end POS.

I found a list of the 'best' physical kb phones - http://www.digitaltrends.com/best-qwerty-phones/#!BPqDN

The Q10 came fourth, which was a shock.
    03-29-14 06:51 AM
    I found a list of the 'best' physical kb phones - http://www.digitaltrends.com/best-qwerty-phones/#!BPqDN

The Q10 came fourth, which was a shock.
    The Q10 is the most high end device on the list. The Droid 4 while not completely terrible, has poor battery life. So yeah, all keyboard phones besides the BlackBerry ones suck badly.

03-29-14 06:54 AM
    If it does happen probably Samsung will make physical keyboard phones, they make an army of models every year, some crapy Android phone like the Samsung Galaxy Chat B5330. Let's not forget Nokia with the Asha models.
    03-29-14 08:32 AM

Agree with u there. I've tried several and they are all crap.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 12:38 PM
36 12