The last week has been full of reports, and forums focusing on the future of RIM and the BlackBerry brand. But, what will happen to CrackBerry.com and the CrackBerry nation if RIM should falter?

More to come...
    04-09-12 03:02 PM
    idk.. what's happened to palm/webos communities?
    enb123 likes this.
    04-09-12 03:09 PM
    Yeah, I mean even if BB goes away, CB will still be a lush thriving community with much going on just like the webOS forums...
    04-09-12 03:11 PM
    The last week has been full of reports, and forums focusing on the future of RIM and the BlackBerry brand. But, what will happen to CrackBerry.com and the CrackBerry nation if RIM should falter?

More to come...
    iIt would end up like WebOS Nation.
    04-09-12 03:12 PM
    Just stop this doom and gloom. RIM is still very much alive and will be for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my old faithful BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    04-09-12 03:16 PM
    this is a dumb post... please close it.
    04-09-12 03:17 PM
    It's not doom and gloom and if the post is uncomfortable, then just don't read it. It's not heresy to think about how RIM's future influences other people's futures, other businesses and/or areas of industry, particularly CrackBerry.com.
    04-09-12 03:24 PM
    First off: in before the lock.

Second someone really has to do something about the trolls. Maybe not allow users to start threads until 75 posts or something?

And on no! If RIM goes out of business or is sold will my 9790 and PlayBook stop working that very day?? :P
    04-09-12 03:29 PM
    Among this forum, I think I'm one of the more critical fans of BlackBerry and even I think this thread is pointless. From the comments above, I think it's a general consensus, so that's the answer to the OP for now
    04-09-12 03:30 PM
    I thought about that. WebOS wasn't as polarizing as BlackBerry is. So I wonder, having read some of the strong opinions in the CrackBerry forums, to what extent would people demonstrate their applause, relief, disbelief, dismay, disapproval, shock, anger, betrayal, elation or whatever emotion?

Didn't a couple that met on CrackBerry just get married a couple of weeks ago?

I think you labeled it appropriately by calling this via reference to palm/webOS a community; what happens to such a community when the pillar that supports it is removed?
    04-09-12 03:33 PM
    Not to mention that crackberry wouldn't die too because these days its filled with more people critical of RIM than fans. I'm sure they'd stick around for months just to gloat and laugh at us.
    IntrnetWonderer and JAGWIRE like this.
    04-09-12 03:34 PM
    First off: in before the lock.

Second someone really has to do something about the trolls. Maybe not allow users to start threads until 75 posts or something?

And on no! If RIM goes out of business or is sold will my 9790 and PlayBook stop working that very day?? :P
    Trolling? Really? Your response is an example of what I'm talking about. People are emotionally invested in BlackBerry and CrackBerry. If people have exerted the effort to register and come back faithfully everyday to read posts on a forum like this, it's because there is an emotional investment there. That emotional investment is seeded in you having a BlackBerry device.

No one knows what would happen if RIM was sold or something else happened. I'm not ascertaining that I know. What I'd like to know is how any massive change at RIM would affect it's affiliates, it's associates, or it's supporters.

We could assume CrackBerry.com would end up like webOS Nation, but how do we know for certain?
    sputneek likes this.
    04-09-12 03:41 PM
    #1. RIM is not going to disappear anytime soon, if ever.
    #2. BlackBerry devices are not going to disappear even if something did happen to the company.
    #3. CrackBerry is not going anywhere, even if RIM somehow disappeared overnight.

There are what, 75 million BlackBerry subscribers currently? And we have a community of over 3 million here at CB. Do you think we'd all just up and move on immediately? I believe that BlackBerry users are some of the most stubborn, dedicated smartphone users out there, myself included. CB will be just fine for a LONG time to come.
    04-09-12 03:47 PM
    Well, I'm sure the forums will be running for another 5 years with all the trolls coming back to gloat and shouting " I told you so".
    04-09-12 03:53 PM
    1) Canadians don't go down without a fight. (Hockey, George Chuvalo, The War of 1812..etc)

2) The new BB10 "Platform" will "Shock and Awe" the mobile world, there is no doubt.
    04-09-12 03:55 PM
    Trolling? Really? Your response is an example of what I'm talking about. People are emotionally invested in BlackBerry and CrackBerry. If people have exerted the effort to register and come back faithfully everyday to read posts on a forum like this, it's because there is an emotional investment there. That emotional investment is seeded in you having a BlackBerry device.

No one knows what would happen if RIM was sold or something else happened. I'm not ascertaining that I know. What I'd like to know is how any massive change at RIM would affect it's affiliates, it's associates, or it's supporters.

We could assume CrackBerry.com would end up like webOS Nation, but how do we know for certain?
    valid points.

personally, i would still come on here to see how i can transfer my info over to say.. my new nokia/iphone.. or seek opinions on apps that can give me a consolidated messages folder etc.. things like that. i'm sure they'll be discussed.
    04-09-12 03:58 PM
    RIM is not going to disappear anytime soon. I agree with you.
    BlackBerry devices are not going to disappear. I agree with you.
    CrackBerry isn't going anywhere.

We're both saying the same thing. People love BlackBerry. People love CrackBerry. Everyone wants to see BlackBerry thrive-- I know I do. But we're not talking about what would happen if things went "down south" as we say in the US.

Just last week, two more RIM execs stepped down in protest of rumours that RIM could be up for sale; not that it was, but that it was a consideration. I applauded Kevin's tweet about starting a kickstarter project to raise funds to buy RIM if it should get that far. I even said I would put in a couple grand.

But as BlackBerry loyalists, why aren't we willing to face-down this concern? As stubborn and dedicated BB users, why can't we talk about how this would affect the things we've come to know and love?
    04-09-12 04:01 PM
    #2. BlackBerry devices are not going to disappear even if something did happen to the company.
    #3. CrackBerry is not going anywhere, even if RIM somehow disappeared overnight.

There are what, 75 million BlackBerry subscribers currently? And we have a community of over 3 million here at CB. Do you think we'd all just up and move on immediately? I believe that BlackBerry users are some of the most stubborn, dedicated smartphone users out there, myself included. CB will be just fine for a LONG time to come.

Well stated. Nothing more can/should be added.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    04-09-12 04:01 PM

Well if you weren't trolling then my apologies. I understand RIMs in trouble and obviously its going to be discussed. Its just getting a little insane around here lately. The other morning there were a few posters making multiple posts that were obvious flamebate right in a row and they were all getting locked.
    I understand rim is in trouble and they've screwed up. It just seems like a lot of people come here just to instigate things or just say "I told you so" it makes coming here much more unpleasant than it used to be.
    No I don't have blinders on and I'm critical of rim as well. Its just out of hand I think. Some people are great at open debate and discussion and what not.
    Its seeping out of the news and general fourms now as well. Into threads people start looking for help.
    Its not my site and I shouldn't care. I just like it here and it seems more negative ant-rim people here than fans these days.
    I don't know? The site has changed a lot. I think its a shame but I'm in the minority though.
    04-09-12 04:18 PM
    Well if you weren't trolling then my apologies. I understand RIMs in trouble and obviously its going to be discussed. Its just getting a little insane around here lately. The other morning there were a few posters making multiple posts that were obvious flamebate right in a row and they were all getting locked.
    I understand rim is in trouble and they've screwed up. It just seems like a lot of people come here just to instigate things or just say "I told you so" it makes coming here much more unpleasant than it used to be.
    No I don't have blinders on and I'm critical of rim as well. Its just out of hand I think. Some people are great at open debate and discussion and what not.
    Its seeping out of the news and general fourms now as well. Into threads people start looking for help.
    Its not my site and I shouldn't care. I just like it here and it seems more negative ant-rim people here than fans these days.
    I don't know? The site has changed a lot. I think its a shame but I'm in the minority though.
    No worries. Look, I think back to the auto bail-out here in the US. GM had some legendary brands that no one wanted to see go. Personally, among the brands they shut-down that I was not happy to see go was Pontiac. I thought Pontiac was a great brand; the historic muscle-car brand.

GM shutting down Pontiac meant suppliers had to close their doors, after-market providers lost business and dried up, even GM's own auto-repair brand, Mr. Goodwrench went out of business. This infuriated me because Pontiac was such an iconic brand. Pontiac's failure if anything was the product of inaction. People could have stepped in- individual investors could have stepped in and purchased Pontiac, but no one did; people could have stepped in and purchased Mr. Goodwrench, but no one did.

Really, no one had to purchase those brands outright, but it was never even considered. Because GM was successful for as long as it was successful, no one bothered to question what a contingency plan would look like. I personally don't think RIM, BlackBerry and CrackBerry should go the way of Pontiac. Minority be damned, I am taking up the mantle to explore how to restore the RIM image and the BlackBerry brand while maintaining, promoting and contributing to the sense of community and camaraderie CrackBerry is about.
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    04-09-12 04:50 PM
    I think you got it wrong, this is the way i look at it.

The day Crackberry goes out of business is the day blackberry goes out of business, because as long as bb has a fan base they wont close down anytime soon.
    04-09-12 05:05 PM

I got a good chuckle outta that!

I see myself.
    04-09-12 05:17 PM
    a list of stuff that would ALL have to happen in order for CB to "end":
    #1: RIM shut down
    #2: BB production stops
    #3: every BB on the planet stops working
    #4: every die hard fan-boy drops dead
    04-09-12 05:22 PM
    I lol'd.

10char.
    04-09-12 05:32 PM
    No worries. Look, I think back to the auto bail-out here in the US. GM had some legendary brands that no one wanted to see go. Personally, among the brands they shut-down that I was not happy to see go was Pontiac. I thought Pontiac was a great brand; the historic muscle-car brand.

GM shutting down Pontiac meant suppliers had to close their doors, after-market providers lost business and dried up, even GM's own auto-repair brand, Mr. Goodwrench went out of business. This infuriated me because Pontiac was such an iconic brand. Pontiac's failure if anything was the product of inaction. People could have stepped in- individual investors could have stepped in and purchased Pontiac, but no one did; people could have stepped in and purchased Mr. Goodwrench, but no one did.

Really, no one had to purchase those brands outright, but it was never even considered. Because GM was successful for as long as it was successful, no one bothered to question what a contingency plan would look like. I personally don't think RIM, BlackBerry and CrackBerry should go the way of Pontiac. Minority be damned, I am taking up the mantle to explore how to restore the RIM image and the BlackBerry brand while maintaining, promoting and contributing to the sense of community and camaraderie CrackBerry is about.
    Its going to be hard if not impossible to
    restore RIM / Blackberry's image. Too many people have only memories of how BB worked and behaved yrs ago when it was the only game in town. Or all they know if the locked down version they got from work they couldn't install any apps on. Then there's the stuff RIM themselves messed up like releasing hardware with slower processors and not enough ram. They make a great device and I think now hardware wise they've pretty much caught up in that sense. Their next big hurdle Is apps. Apps and more apps. They need developers on board. Saunders and Co. Seem to be working their butts off to bring developers over, let's hope it works.

And THEN even if rim gets developers on board, they release sexy looking bb10 devices with hardware under the hood they will keep up and / or surpass what the competition has. They STILL have to market it. I love my bb phone but RIMs marketing is terrible. Awful, almost laughable, actually not almost it IS laughable. They have what could be a great phone and OS coming out this year and their PR and marketing sucks. Big time. They need to fire the entire department and hire new people. Good people. Great people. Pay them and pay them well. Hire the best. Unfourtunately RIM needs to hire them now, if not months ago. And just advertise like they never have before and spend millions on it. Get the word out on what's coming and make people remember it.
    That's what they need to do. They don't have to convince me or the people on this site (the ones who like bb anyway. )
    That will keep RIM from going away and help this site. Though I don't see crackberry going anywhere for a while no matter what happens to rim.
    I just hope rim succeeds.
    04-09-12 06:38 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD