If I were a Blackberrry and john I would go for that !
    Yes I am blackberry and I can ansure your android TV , your tablet will never have a virus or a security whole!
    yes Pay by month or pay yearly!!!

I am a blackberry user just for the android safety of blackberry but I dont like it that I have the last android update I could ! Or the update that my phone came from the day 1. I would pay also for android 9 or 10 not having the android 6.0.1 !!!

Whats the point making a device and not making it up to date like samsung? or IOS?.
    I remember having blackberry 10, I had system updates every 1 year sometimes twice a year!
    But of course if someone does not really care for the busness then what for doing it?
    Android devices like Priv , Dtek 50 and Dtek 60 are made just for adroid 6.0.1??? Why even samsung galaxy S6 now have android 9???? just a question How they think? In this company that I like and support?

1st example : They could even done an ALEXA or MAIC.ai device but secure!
    2: Secure software for android TV's (tv not having viruses not invigilating you!, hearing you)
    3: Secure software for laptops (same a above)
    4: Secure software for tablets !
    I woud go for that yes I would pay yearly and thats it If the smartphone bussiness is too much fro BB!!!! that was just my thoughts somenone can even do much more like BB!)
    P.S. Interested to hear your thought If you would pay for that and what is the blackberry arguments and whats the answer of BB or even an oficial anser If someone is here from blackberry He can us the text and send it by mail to the BB or to TCL bbmobile!!!
    Last edited by Paraliotis3; 01-19-20 at 10:02 AM.
    01-19-20 08:17 AM
    Yes I am blackberry and I can ansure your android TV , your tablet will never have a virus or a security whole!

I am a blackberry user just for the android safety of blackberry but I dont like it that I have the last android update I could ! Or the update that my phone came from the day 1. I would pay also for android 9 or 10 not having the android 6.0.1 !!!

Whats the point making a device and not making it up to date like samsung? or IOS?.
    I remember having blackberry 10, I had system updates every 1 year sometimes twice a year!
    But of course if someone does not really care for the busness then what for doing it?
    Android devices like Priv , Dtek 50 and Dtek 60 are made just for adroid 6.0.1??? Why even samsung galaxy S6 now have android 9???? just a question How they think? In this company that I like and support?

1st example : They could even done an ALEXA device but secure!
    2: Secure software for android TV's (tv not having viruses not invigilating you!, hearing you)
    I woud go for that yes I would pay yearly and thats it If the smartphone bussiness is too much fro BB!!!! that was just my thoughts somenone can even do much more like BB!)
    P.S. Interested to hear your thought If you would pay for that and what is the blackberry arguments and whats the answer of BB or even an oficial anser If someone is here from blackberry He can us the text and send it by mail to the BB or to TCL bbmobile!!!
    BlackBerry exited hardware three years ago. Any devices from the old era are officially EOL and even the underlying OS is similar fate.
    01-19-20 08:24 AM

1st example : They could even done an ALEXA device but secure!
    BlackBerry Limited has offered BlackBerry Secure to anyone who wished to licence it. There were very few takers.
    01-19-20 08:30 AM
    What is an Android tv?
    01-19-20 08:38 AM
    What is an Android tv?
    It's a popular web media streamer device running on Android.
    01-19-20 08:40 AM
    It's a popular web media streamer device running on Android.
    When I first read it, I interpreted it as an Android based tv lol and not the service. My bad. Hadn't had my second cup of coffee yet.
    01-19-20 09:01 AM
    What is an Android tv?
    oh I am sorry maybe better an smart tv conected to wi-fi with many more!
    01-19-20 09:22 AM
    When I first read it, I interpreted it as an Android based tv lol and not the service. My bad. Hadn't had my second cup of coffee yet.
    there are some that are ran using android tv. think sony did for some
    01-19-20 09:51 AM
    If I understand OP...? ?? I might agree that purchasing and implementing new hardware just for security maintenance is like buying and installing an entirely new safe/vault just to get a new combination? Grotesquely wasteful! Imo.

Made even worse when the "new safe" is physically too large to fit the original footprint! Demanding painful re-construction of the building! Or, in some cases, a new building in a strange neighborhood? A neighborhood where "everyone" drives on the "wrong" side of the street?? Lol.

Hardware "security" coercion business model has worked impressively for Samsung. Even Apple (so far). Is it truly working for ANYone else?? How long can that model be sustained? ?? Look at this past decade. What WILL this industry look like a mere decade from now? Once "GooSam" buries "mighty" Apple?? Lol.

Constantly re-training muscle memory to accommodate "new" hardware HURTS! Both productivity AND my stiff old abused arthritic hands! Lol. I'd happily pay what ever margin the vault manufacturer demands on entirely new hardware just to update the "combination" on existing hardware!

Just let me keep good, familiar, hardware in hand and simply pay our extortionists their $800 every two years for "protection"! Lol. Imo. Fwiw.
    01-19-20 11:04 AM
    Sony, Sharp, and a few others use Android TV as their SmartTV platform, and external streaming boxes like the Nvidia Shield and the Xiomai Mi Box allow other TVs to use the platform. The competing Amazon FireTV devices use a modified version as well. Amazon TV devices all support Chromecast functionality as well.

My newer TVs are Sonys and my older TVs have Shields (and a Mi Box in the garage), and are the primary source devices for TV at my house. I run an Emby media server, plus the major streaming services and a multi-tuner HD Homerun Connect Quattro for live OTA TV with full DVR functionality. Emby runs on anything with an Internet connection, so I can enjoy my content almost anywhere.

And to address the OP's question: none of the OEMs involved have any interest in licensing BB's Android mods. Users are not interested in paying for it.
    01-19-20 06:05 PM
    1st example : They could even done an ALEXA or MAIC.ai device but secure!
    Securing them in what form?
    Every oems custom their own android OS (phones, tablets, and TVs). Mostly they lock their own bootloader with it. In order to install blackberry custom secure OS, users need to unlock bootloader and root the device first which is very impractical in terms of security itself. In the end, what blackberry can do so far is just making an antivirus app like cylance. This is the only way to play in securing oem's vanilla android without hijacking their bootloader and system permission management. The other way is to make oem licensing their own OS like TCL and we know how it goes.
    01-19-20 08:21 PM
    There is a difference between security and privacy. Your 1-to-3 examples are privacy. 4 is security. Android is ok in terms of security, but not in terms of privacy. In context of Android security means that no-one except those who you agree with can have your data, but by using Android you agree by default to share some data. So Google getting data from you is not a breach of security, but a privacy concern. Me being able to get your data, would be a security issue.

So, for most users, Android is safe enough. Most breaches are not done through phones, but server breaches, in which case it doesn't matter which OS you are suing on your phone. Also, most attack vectors on Android phones require some sort of user intervention (installing a malicious app or leaving their phone unlocked).

If you take a normal Android phone, with a new version of Android and just connect it to a random wireless network at your local McDonalds and leave it locked on the table, it's almost impossible for a hacker to remotely hack your device.
    app_Developer and chain13 like this.
    01-20-20 10:09 AM
    There is a difference between security and privacy. Your 1-to-3 examples are privacy. 4 is security. Android is ok in terms of security, but not in terms of privacy. In context of Android security means that no-one except those who you agree with can have your data, but by using Android you agree by default to share some data. So Google getting data from you is not a breach of security, but a privacy concern. Me being able to get your data, would be a security issue.

So, for most users, Android is safe enough. Most breaches are not done through phones, but server breaches, in which case it doesn't matter which OS you are suing on your phone. Also, most attack vectors on Android phones require some sort of user intervention (installing a malicious app or leaving their phone unlocked).

If you take a normal Android phone, with a new version of Android and just connect it to a random wireless network at your local McDonalds and leave it locked on the table, it's almost impossible for a hacker to remotely hack your device.
    If you paid an extra $100 for your phone and then $100 every time you wanted an update... you might could expect more privacy as well. But the market decided that they like the pay with your data way of doing things... and that's how things are.

I'll be honest... I don't know how BlackBerry ever expected to make money on BB10. They would have had to always include a hefty cost into the hardware. But with hardware sales slowing that wouldn't not have worked out too well for them. BB10 would have needed some kind of subscription service or they would have been limited on how much development they could do... thus always keeping them behind.
    01-20-20 10:30 AM
    Blackberry limited stopped making hardware 4 years ago. Not happening.

From my BlackBerry Q5 on Freedom Mobile 3G HSPA+
    01-20-20 02:43 PM

True. By default android is actually secure. But privacy is another matter. That's why having hardened bla bla bla is (less) meaningful.
    01-20-20 08:20 PM
    True. By default android is actually secure. But privacy is another matter. That's why having hardened bla bla bla is (less) meaningful.
    For regular folks like us, that's generally true. For the target business market (which never materialised), it's actually quite important - hence why iPhone and Knox corner that space.
    01-20-20 08:33 PM
    For regular folks like us, that's generally true. For the target business market (which never materialised), it's actually quite important - hence why iPhone and Knox corner that space.
    I "personally" think that iphone and knox is more practical in implementation compare to blackberry android in term of security.
    01-20-20 08:47 PM
    I "personally" think that iphone and knox is more practical in implementation compare to blackberry android in term of security.
    because security is not a good selling point for consumers.It is important, but if you not as the main focus.

And for businesses, there is probably too little difference in terms of security between BB and other Android manufacturers when combined with a proper MDM solution.
    01-21-20 07:50 AM
    because security is not a good selling point for consumers.It is important, but if you not as the main focus.

And for businesses, there is probably too little difference in terms of security between BB and other Android manufacturers when combined with a proper MDM solution.
    Not sure what you’re trying to say. Most consumers don’t use blackberry, either they care about security or not. And most businesses don’t use blackberry either, though they care a lot about security, most of them are still using either iphone or non bb android.
    01-21-20 08:35 AM
    Not sure what you’re trying to say. Most consumers don’t use blackberry, either they care about security or not. And most businesses don’t use blackberry either, though they care a lot about security, most of them are still using either iphone or non bb android.
    They care about "good enough" security that is considered standard for any modern smartphone.

The idea is that a "hardened" Android like BB tried to do, has very few upsides for the average consumer, in comparison to the latest Samsung or OnePlus phone. For those who understand the difference between security and privacy, for 99% of cases "hardened" Android will keep them just as safe as normal Android.

If I put a list of things I look for in an Android phone right now, hardened security is not in my top 10. It would be make a difference if BB checked all other boxes before that, but 99% of consumers will not have "hardened security" in their main "wants" for a smartphone.
    chain13 likes this.
    01-21-20 09:24 AM
    Businesses use MDM/EDM software to give them the additional control that greatly enhances security and largely makes BB's changes moot - which is why even businesses aren't interested in BB. And even BB admits that Knox is just as secure as BB's solution, so with no differentiation in security, why wouldn't businesses want the much better hardware, compatibility, and support that they can get from Apple or Samsung vs. BB? Sales figures answer that question by themselves.
    Laura Knotek and chain13 like this.
    01-21-20 04:08 PM

I'll be honest... I don't know how BlackBerry ever expected to make money on BB10.
    They had their own ad services at one point

https://crackberry.com/rim-launches-...tising-service

Makes you wonder how they were going to make the ads relevant to the user
    01-25-20 12:02 AM
    That's the problem: without user data that allows for targeted advertising, ads are worth much less, and ad revenues are going to be much lower. BB didn't have many advertisers, and not much revenue - which is why this didn't last beyond 2013.
    01-25-20 01:53 AM
    That's the problem: without user data that allows for targeted advertising, ads are worth much less, and ad revenues are going to be much lower. BB didn't have many advertisers, and not much revenue - which is why this didn't last beyond 2013.
    I would suspect this was attempting to mimic Android/iOS model for what eventually would become BB10 model since BIS revenues would be eliminated.
    01-25-20 06:54 AM