Wouldn't it be better to stay with a platform that doesn't have Google's best interest in mind? Or maybe develop an Android OS devoid of Google's spyware. No Google Play Store or Chrome, etc.
    ssbtech likes this.
    01-25-16 09:35 AM
    Wouldn't it be better to stay with a platform that doesn't have Google's best interest in mind? Or maybe develop an Android OS devoid of Google's spyware. No Google Play Store or Chrome, etc.
    Nobody want Google but what with apps ? How you gonna get those apps which playstore have?

Posted via Priv...
    glwerry likes this.
    01-25-16 09:44 AM
    Without the Google Play Store and Google Play Services, the Android exercise is pointless as more and more apps require those services. It is what it is. That's what most people (not everyone) want and need.
    01-25-16 10:38 AM
    Because people don't really care about snooping. Just watch how few responses you get to this thread.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    01-25-16 10:39 AM
    Even so, why BB10 then? You don't like Android, you have iOS and/or Windows phone which have far better dev support than BB10.
    01-25-16 10:39 AM
    Every mobile phone currently in use, regardless of carrier or platform, is potentially a surveillance device for the government (or the carrier). So, why would anyone carry a cellphone? And the power company monitors your power usage and will report you to the government if you use a lot. Same with your water or garbage service.

Maybe we should all live in a cabin in the woods, using wood for heat, a stream for water, and a trench in the ground as a toilet. Then we'd be safe from government attention.

Oh, damn! I forgot about the tax man (property taxes)! And the DRONES! OMG, the DRONES! There's no escape!!!

Or...

You could realize that to live a modern lifestyle, with terrific tools like modern smartphones to help you work and be productive in all kinds of ways, you need to be using a platform that is widely supported. That means iOS or Android, or maybe WinPhone - which means you're dealing with Apple, Google (Alphabet), or Microsoft - all of whom are giant corporations who, out of necessity, have to work with the government on certain issues, and all of whom openly admit to keeping and using your data (oh, and so does BlackBerry, as they also openly admit in their Terms Of Service). BB has also been working closely with Google - and Samsung - for the last couple of years. So, if you want to use a smartphone, there is "no escape."

Except, of course, that with all of these services, there are tools available to limit the data you give to those companies. Of course, the more you limit, the more reduced your functionality is, but that allows everyone to balance their own functionality-to-paranoia equation.
    01-25-16 11:33 AM
    There are at least two kinds of hubris, here. The first is the notion that Google or any other multi-billion dollar company cares enough about what you are doing to spy on you. The second is that there are a lot of other options for robust mobile ecosystems as if it doesn't take billions of dollars per year to develop and maintain them.
    01-25-16 12:16 PM
    Because people don't really care about snooping. Just watch how few responses you get to this thread.
    I totally agree most people don't care (_I_ do, but I'm in the minority, by far) -- but everyone loves an opportunity to argue pointlessly about Google, so I bet OP gets LOTS of replies.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    01-25-16 02:37 PM
    I dont want android crap. I love BB10 OS.

  
    01-26-16 01:40 AM
    You could realize that to live a modern lifestyle, with terrific tools like modern smartphones to help you work and be productive in all kinds of ways
    That's an interesting view. I bet that's what they were trying to achieve.

The first is the notion that Google or any other multi-billion dollar company cares enough about what you are doing to spy on you.
    You know that this is stupid by now right? And have been proven to be true. So you may keep saying that to yourself it won't make any difference.
    lift likes this.
    01-26-16 02:55 AM
    What people fail to realize is that in 99% of cases when someone says "I hate Googles data mining" or "I hate the walled garden of iOS", the alternative they choose is almost never BB10. Usually people who dislike Google go to iOS and people who like a more open experience move to Android. And even if they are bored of both, they may choose WP10.

And then there are people who want t get everything: customability, privacy and ecosystem. These people resort to installing custom ROMs on their Android devices and some 3rd party framework to certain data mining. Last time I read there were more cyanogenmod users out there than BB10 users.
    DaDaDogg likes this.
    01-26-16 03:57 AM
    Some are just more paranoid than others.

Truth is, you can hide behind all the firewalls, VPNS, BB10, and encryption you want, but if you have a cell phone or home internet, teh evil gubmint already knows more about you than you might care for.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    Ecm and CherokeeMarty like this.
    01-26-16 05:20 AM
    This is 2016 and not 2007 and apps are what folks want and need to perform their daily task. These require google play services.

As I have said a thousand times. Anytime your connected to the grid, your exposed. This is the price you pay for technology.
    01-26-16 05:48 AM
    Well, I'm able to run all the Android apps I need without using Google Play. I must be in the minority.
    lift and Zeratul57 like this.
    01-26-16 05:55 AM
    Well, I'm able to run all the Android apps I need without using Google Play. I must be in the minority.
    Very much so. But if it works for you great.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor and paulbbp like this.
    01-26-16 07:52 AM
    Very much so. But if it works for you great.

Posted via CB10
    lol. I have experienced a number of people aggressively evangelize Android (I work in technology) and I know how passionate they are about it, but they must also be quite insecure if they are that desperate to convert other people to using it.
    01-26-16 08:08 AM
    Believe it or not, privacy/security is not the primary reason some people have chosen BlackBerry phones.

They have the best physical keyboards available. They also have excellent communication and productivity software.

Posted from my  Q10 via CB10
    01-26-16 08:10 AM
    Agree with you Ron . Every technology comes with a price .
    01-26-16 08:51 AM
    Because there are lots of seduction.... got lots of apps with lots of function that you can use with Google.

Furthermore all are free of charge. Why people don't use it? Now all the people are stupid including myself. O have Google account, I uploaded files onto Google Drive, all credit / debit cards purchase details are being sent to my gmail.

We got no choice, but we need to use them. We have to use them. We need Google, if one day Google required me to pay for 1 dollar for a search, I will pay it.

It is simple, without Google we are dead. We don't know what we can do.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-16 09:03 AM
    Isn't every phone a surveillance piece? At least potentially...

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL and paulbbp like this.
    01-26-16 09:09 AM
    Isn't every phone a surveillance piece? At least potentially...

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately yes. But just because it CAN be done, does not mean it should be done. There should be privacy laws in place for this. Did your old land line have 24/7 spying going on? No. When law enforcement or anyone else wanted information about you they had to get a warrant and THEN they could spy on you with a tap.
    01-26-16 12:10 PM
    Every smartphone photo or video that I take or have ever taken has been uploaded to Google Photo. With the EXIF data, Google knows practically every place I have ever traveled to, and a photo of every person I have ever been close to for the past 13 or so years. In return for opening myself up to that, I have storage of these images and videos in perpetuity and can share them simply by creating an album and sending a link.

I'm happy to store my most precious media with Google in exchange for free cloud storage, some curation, and easy browsing on any device like a tablet.
    01-26-16 12:24 PM
    Not good
    lift likes this.
    01-26-16 01:13 PM
    One of the funniest things I hear from people is how they don't like the idea of
    big brother knowing everything we do then go a post it all on facebook!
    Ecm and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    01-26-16 01:15 PM
    And the power company monitors your power usage and will report you to the government if you use a lot. Same with your water or garbage service.
    I know from personal experience that this is so true. Utility usuage is definitely monitored and using too much or too little can and will get you reported.

Many, many years ago I was a small town cop. One of the many responsibilities the police department had was handling the town's water supply and treatment plant. Well at some point or another the town employees noticed that one of the houses in the outskirts of town was using less than 50 gallons of water each and every month. And this was a house that was known to have five family members living in it. Three of which were little children who were home schooled.

Needless to say, child protection services were called and I bet that they found some children in desperate need of a bath living in that house.

Smartphone snooping is the least of my worries. I can stop using a smartphone at anytime and survive. I'm more concerned with the far harder to avoid types of snooping.
    01-26-16 01:16 PM
191 123 ...