If there was ever a time that developers were going to come to BB10... it was pre launch or just after, when there was potential for this to be a platform.

When you have a three year old platform where most commercially released apps are over two years old, are the are missing entirely... it's pretty clear that this isn't a valuable userbase in the eyes of most commercial developers or even the part timers. A few like Nemory are making money, but by offering poor copies of what people really want.

If BlackBerry has plans for BB10... it will start by them updating the developer tools and trying to restart interest with developers. But if they had those plans... why would they have basically shut down everything associated with developers in the first place?
    Logic and reality hurts.

Some hear galloping zebras, I hear unicorns...

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    05-17-16 04:05 PM
    If there was ever a time that developers were going to come to BB10... it was pre launch or just after, when there was potential for this to be a platform.

When you have a three year old platform where most commercially released apps are over two years old, are the are missing entirely... it's pretty clear that this isn't a valuable userbase in the eyes of most commercial developers or even the part timers. A few like Nemory are making money, but by offering poor copies of what people really want.

If BlackBerry has plans for BB10... it will start by them updating the developer tools and trying to restart interest with developers. But if they had those plans... why would they have basically shut down everything associated with developers in the first place?
    Obviously they have to sell phones to even keep the handset business alive, hence the focus on Android.

I see a scenario where, if they can start moving Android phones in sufficient numbers, they can eventually move some resources back to the BB10 side.

New BB10 devices won't be sold through traditional channels (carriers). They will sell them on their website and directly to enterprise customers. The SDK will eventually be updated. Maybe even the Android Runtime.
    05-17-16 04:09 PM
    Until they officially announce a BB10 EoL timeline, anything is possible.
    Why exactly would they do that and ruin the BB10 scrap and salvage business supported by people like you and other diehards that keep sending them money? That's why they've never announced EOL for BBOS7 either. PT Barnum would put you on his mailing list twice just to make sure you got both invitations.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    05-17-16 04:11 PM
    Why exactly would they do that and ruin the BB10 scrap and salvage business supported by people like you and other diehards that keep sending them money? That's why they've never announced EOL for BBOS7 either. PT Barnum would put you on his mailing list twice just to make sure you got both invitations.

Posted via CB10
    They're actually still making some money off BBOS7 devices thanks to BIS. BB10 hasn't made them a single penny. If they want to kill it, they will. But they haven't yet. So haters should stop claiming they have.
    05-17-16 04:14 PM
    They're actually still making some money off BBOS7 devices thanks to BIS. BB10 hasn't made them a single penny. If they want to kill it, they will. But they haven't yet. So haters should stop claiming they have.
    My point exactly, you will never see announcement, but they've moved on. Send me a check for $100, I'll cash it, send you a brick in a box and continue until you stop giving me checks....

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    05-17-16 04:19 PM
    My point exactly, you will never see announcement, but they've moved on. Send me a check for $100, I'll cash it, send you a brick in a box and continue until you stop giving me checks....

Posted via CB10
    You're being overly dramatic and simplistic.

I'm not paying BlackBerry monthly to use my BB10 phones. They are paid for. And they are much more than bricks. They still work. They will still be working tomorrow. And they still do many things no other platform can do.
    05-17-16 05:10 PM
    lol. I have experienced a number of people aggressively evangelize Android (I work in technology) and I know how passionate they are about it, but they must also be quite insecure if they are that desperate to convert other people to using it.
    So what does that say for all the people evangelizing BB10? There are plenty of them here. Do you paint them with the same brush? And if not, why not?
    05-17-16 05:47 PM
    So what does that say for all the people evangelizing BB10? There are plenty of them here. Do you paint them with the same brush? And if not, why not?
    If Apple or Microsoft released a good PKB phone I would surely consider it.

The USP for the Android guys is the gazillions of apps and games, which I don't have any use for on a mobile phone.
    05-17-16 06:14 PM
    Wouldn't it be better to stay with a platform that doesn't have Google's best interest in mind? Or maybe develop an Android OS devoid of Google's spyware. No Google Play Store or Chrome, etc.

If Android is a surveillance tool for Google, and governments, why do BlackBerry users want it?-john-chen.jpg

Posted via CB10
    05-17-16 07:58 PM
    You're sure, are you?

Well I'm sure they are committed to BB10 and might even release a new BB10 device or two in 2017.

I reject your sureness and substitute my own.
    Why would someone buy a phone in 2017 built with a four year old processor? And will BlackBerry even be able to source the old Qualcomm chips?
    05-18-16 12:06 AM
    Nor should you... if security is one of your priorities. SNAP basically not a factor anymore, and while I do trust Cobalt, I really have no reason to. His apps aren't in BBW or Google Play for others to verify. But the CrackBerry Community has a long history of offering alternative solutions to the app problems of the PlayBook and BB10 devices... that over the years have been very questionable when it comes to security..
    I agree. People on this forum have always been yacking about BB10 security, in the meantime if they want major apps working they'd have to pay some John or Joe or Oliver, 0.99 bucks for an app that isn't provided or acknowledged by the officials. So when JC says most secure... I'd throw a shoe at him anytime.
    05-18-16 02:08 AM
    You're being overly dramatic and simplistic.

I'm not paying BlackBerry monthly to use my BB10 phones. They are paid for. And they are much more than bricks. They still work. They will still be working tomorrow. And they still do many things no other platform can do.
    Just enjoy the sunset...

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 06:47 AM
    Why would someone buy a phone in 2017 built with a four year old processor? And will BlackBerry even be able to source the old Qualcomm chips?
    Why assume they won't update the drivers to work with newer chips?

Posted from my  Z10 via CB10
    05-18-16 07:20 AM
    I agree BB10 is not selling, and that it is a great OS. But I reject your subjective opinion as to its future in favor of my own.

Android is obviously the focus now because it has to be in order for BlackBerry to have any hope of saving their device business. And even if they do hit their sales targets, Android isn't going away - it's essential to their device business going forward.

But I do believe BB10 fills an important role in their product lineup and that they still have many high-profile enterprise customers that will settle for nothing less than a pure BlackBerry-developed OS. Those enterprise customers will be looking to upgrade their device fleets in 2017 and BlackBerry would be foolish not to release a BB10 device or two for those customers.
    Your belief is misguided and informed by your desired as a consumer.

The device is a minor piece in this equation. Enterprises need their data in an enclave that ensures DLP, tracking, remote destructibility, and policy enforcement.

BB10 did this with BES10 and Balance. The competition also does this only on a lot more platforms and oftentimes with better results.

There's a reason BlackBerry bought their competition.
    05-18-16 07:43 AM
    Why assume they won't update the drivers to work with newer chips?

Posted from my  Z10 via CB10

Why assume they will?

Chen said it cost too much to develop for BB10. The chipset manufactures charge to create custom firmware drivers for BB10 and it would require Chen to have people working (a lot more than are currently working on it) on BB10 to update the OS drivers.

For what? To compete against their new Android offerings? The end-to-end market is a pretty small niche as it is.

The S4 is a discontinued model, and supposedly not being able to get the memory module is why the Classic is now out of production. Would assume the same for the LEAP (now or in the near future). But the 801 from the Passport is still current... But most of the time it's cheaper to buy new "value" chips than to buy a once flagship chip from two or three years ago.

I think an updated Classic with the 801 would be fine for the market the BlackBerry is going to be focused on from now on. BUT... what we don't know is if BlackBerry's agreements with Google, possible prevents them from releasing any new devcies with a forked version of Android. Again removing the runtime would be very costly in development terms. And would probably require re-marketing the OS as something other than BB10, as it would not have the capabilities that BB10 has to run Android.

No Chen hasn't "officially" ruled out new BB10 devcies.
    No Chen hasn't "officially" EOL BB10.

But the things he has done do not point to just a temporary putting of BB10 on hold... for developers and customers it looks much more like the end of BB10. If Chen were planning on bringing it back, he did a very poor job of planning for it's return to the market. He is either a fool, or a smart CEO trying not to sell existing inventory at firesale prices.
    05-18-16 07:59 AM
    Why assume they will?

Chen said it cost too much to develop for BB10. The chipset manufactures charge to create custom firmware drivers for BB10 and it would require Chen to have people working (a lot more than are currently working on it) on BB10 to update the OS drivers.
    Because they have repeatedly said they are committed to BB10. Pini, new head of devices, has also reaffirmed this commitment. I seriously doubt they would be so consistent on this point if they didn't mean it. If they wanted to kill it, they would have written off existing inventory long ago, stopped selling BB10 devices online and through carriers, and announced EOL plans detailing the timeline for end of support with existing enterprise contracts.

For what? To compete against their new Android offerings? The end-to-end market is a pretty small niche as it is.
    To give their customers options. To have a platform they 100% own and control from the very first line of code. To meet customer demand (yes, there are still customers that refuse to settle for iOS, Android, or Windows).

The S4 is a discontinued model, and supposedly not being able to get the memory module is why the Classic is now out of production. Would assume the same for the LEAP (now or in the near future). But the 801 from the Passport is still current... But most of the time it's cheaper to buy new "value" chips than to buy a once flagship chip from two or three years ago.

I think an updated Classic with the 801 would be fine for the market the BlackBerry is going to be focused on from now on. BUT... what we don't know is if BlackBerry's agreements with Google, possible prevents them from releasing any new devcies with a forked version of Android. Again removing the runtime would be very costly in development terms. And would probably require re-marketing the OS as something other than BB10, as it would not have the capabilities that BB10 has to run Android.
    A new BB10 phone (or two) with the Passport chipset would be doable. And Android runtime is a very different thing from a forked version of Android. I seriously doubt the runtime is in violation of Google's TOS.

No Chen hasn't "officially" ruled out new BB10 devcies.
    No Chen hasn't "officially" EOL BB10.
    They officially announced EOL for PlayBook OS when the time came. If they intend to do the same with BB10 they will. Until then, why assume the worst?

But the things he has done do not point to just a temporary putting of BB10 on hold... for developers and customers it looks much more like the end of BB10. If Chen were planning on bringing it back, he did a very poor job of planning for it's return to the market. He is either a fool, or a smart CEO trying not to sell existing inventory at firesale prices.
    We all see what we want to see. I see BB10 on a slower development and release cycle than it has had in the past because it is going to be marketed and sold directly to niche enterprise and business clients who are on a 2-3 year phone fleet upgrade cycle. He's not planning to "bring it back" because it's still here. He doesn't need to sell existing BB10 inventory at firesale prices because there is no need to do a firesale on a platform you intend to continue to support and develop.

BlackBerry's Android offerings are intended for a broader audience and BB10's future is most certainly tied to theirs. But I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that both platforms can peacefully and synergystically coexist in BlackBerry's product offerings. More options are always good for the customer, right?
    togarika likes this.
    05-18-16 10:20 AM
191 ... 678