No idea

Posted via CB10
    05-16-16 12:54 PM
    Surely it would have. BB10 doesn't have to be shelved now also, it still has potential to succeed. Right now BB10's only disadvantage is the app gap. That can be sorted when BlackBerry management becomes serious about selling BB10 phone

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    Well if you have an answer to the app gap... please let Mr. Chen know what it is.

Microsoft has spent billions enticing developers to Windows, they have offered them 100's of millions of users by merging Windows 10 users and giving Windows 10 away for free to most consumers with a fairly recent PC. and yet very little has changed in the Windows Store.

Smart thing Google did as they were late to the party, was do the whole "we are going to be OPEN SOURCED"... even though they really aren't now. It got enthusiast, early adopters on board as as companies started looking more at apps... iOS wasn't the only one to build for.
    05-16-16 01:06 PM
    Well if you have an answer to the app gap... please let Mr. Chen know what it is.

Microsoft has spent billions enticing developers to Windows, they have offered them 100's of millions of users by merging Windows 10 users and giving Windows 10 away for free to most consumers with a fairly recent PC. and yet very little has changed in the Windows Store.

Smart thing Google did as they were late to the party, was do the whole "we are going to be OPEN SOURCED"... even though they really aren't now. It got enthusiast, early adopters on board as as companies started looking more at apps... iOS wasn't the only one to build for.
    The answer is keep on developing BB10 and releasing upgrades to their device line ups. BB10 OS has significantly developed into a very good OS. The hardware department needs to continue developing phones. The Passport, Z30, Q10/Classic, Z3/Leap and even Playbook lines of devices need follow up devices that have up to date specs and are reasonably priced.

There are a number of people that don't require a lot of apps nd will but BlackBerrys as they are. The apps that they will need to ensure are always there is Whatsapp and Facebook. All the other developers will follow suit once the numbers of devices sold increases.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    05-16-16 01:42 PM
    The answer is keep on developing BB10 and releasing upgrades to their device line ups. BB10 OS has significantly developed into a very good OS. The hardware department needs to continue developing phones. The Passport, Z30, Q10/Classic, Z3/Leap and even Playbook lines of devices need follow up devices that have up to date specs and are reasonably priced.

There are a number of people that don't require a lot of apps nd will but BlackBerrys as they are. The apps that they will need to ensure are always there is Whatsapp and Facebook. All the other developers will follow suit once the numbers of devices sold increases.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    With what money do you believe BlackBerry should fund continued BB10 developments? BlackBerry hasn't made any profits on BB10, only reason they are close right now to being profitable on hardware is becuase Chen has cut most all BB10 development.

You want "reasonably priced", that isn't going to happen. BB10 drivers are expensive, in addition to the software development cost.

"Other developers will follow suits..". how is that working out for Microsoft?

Sorry but at some point you cut your loses and move on. BB10 was a good idea, BB10 had lot's of potential.... if it had been released in 2008 things might have been different.
    MikeX74 and TgeekB like this.
    05-16-16 02:09 PM

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    The problem with your idea of BB continuing to develop and release BB10 hardware is that they continue to lose money by doing so. As for your other theory about Facebook and WhatsApp? Rubbish. I keep seeing this idea floating around, that all a platform/OS needs is to have social apps like Facebook and WhatsApp available. The "app gap" isn't just about the quantity or even quality of the apps available. It's about the ones that are missing. The reason why I don't use a BB10 device as my daily carry is because the apps I use the most simply aren't available on BB10. The mobile games I play aren't available. The productivity apps I use aren't available. My mobile banking app isn't available, and before you ask, no I don't side load apps or depend on things like Snap and Cobalt, nor should I have to.
    DINGSTER1 and Jerry A like this.
    05-16-16 02:10 PM
    The problem with your idea of BB continuing to develop and release BB10 hardware is that they continue to lose money by doing so. As for your other theory about Facebook and WhatsApp? Rubbish. I keep seeing this idea floating around, that all a platform/OS needs is to have social apps like Facebook and WhatsApp available. The "app gap" isn't just about the quantity or even quality of the apps available. It's about the ones that are missing. The reason why I don't use a BB10 device as my daily carry is because the apps I use the most simply aren't available on BB10. The mobile games I play aren't available. The productivity apps I use aren't available. My mobile banking app isn't available, and before you ask, no I don't side load apps or depend on things like Snap and Cobalt, nor should I have to.
    Nor should you... if security is one of your priorities. SNAP basically not a factor anymore, and while I do trust Cobalt, I really have no reason to. His apps aren't in BBW or Google Play for others to verify. But the CrackBerry Community has a long history of offering alternative solutions to the app problems of the PlayBook and BB10 devices... that over the years have been very questionable when it comes to security..
    05-16-16 02:25 PM
    Surely it would have. BB10 doesn't have to be shelved now also, it still has potential to succeed. Right now BB10's only disadvantage is the app gap. That can be sorted when BlackBerry management becomes serious about selling BB10 phone

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    And that it's not selling. BB10 is a great OS but it's over.
    05-16-16 04:10 PM
    I agree BB10 is not selling, and that it is a great OS. But I reject your subjective opinion as to its future in favor of my own.

Android is obviously the focus now because it has to be in order for BlackBerry to have any hope of saving their device business. And even if they do hit their sales targets, Android isn't going away - it's essential to their device business going forward.

But I do believe BB10 fills an important role in their product lineup and that they still have many high-profile enterprise customers that will settle for nothing less than a pure BlackBerry-developed OS. Those enterprise customers will be looking to upgrade their device fleets in 2017 and BlackBerry would be foolish not to release a BB10 device or two for those customers.
    05-16-16 05:02 PM
    Agreed, the BB10 team is gone. What remains is a very small skeletal group to do security patches. Even if BlackBerry wanted to restart the business it would be almost impossible. The old developers now work for Apple, Google, Microsoft and many other developers. Why would they return to a company the let them go? And is still losing money.
    05-16-16 05:03 PM
    I agree BB10 is not selling, and that it is a great OS. But I reject your subjective opinion as to its future in favor of my own.

Android is obviously the focus now because it has to be in order for BlackBerry to have any hope of saving their device business. And even if they do hit their sales targets, Android isn't going away - it's essential to their device business going forward.

But I do believe BB10 fills an important role in their product lineup and that they still have many high-profile enterprise customers that will settle for nothing less than a pure BlackBerry-developed OS. Those enterprise customers will be looking to upgrade their device fleets in 2017 and BlackBerry would be foolish not to release a BB10 device or two for those customers.
    I can appreciate your positive outlook!

I understand what you're saying about enterprise and it will be interesting to see what Blackberry does. As far as we know they are not developing any new BB10 devices but who knows what the future holds. Many enterprise customers have moved on. I'm not sure why they wouldn't attempt to provide a niche market but we dont know the numbers. Tech is an ever-evolving market and the successful companies stay ahead of or develop trends. Blackberry seems a bit......confused.
    05-16-16 05:18 PM
    Agreed, the BB10 team is gone. What remains is a very small skeletal group to do security patches. Even if BlackBerry wanted to restart the business it would be almost impossible. The old developers now work for Apple, Google, Microsoft and many other developers. Why would they return to a company the let them go? And is still losing money.
    These seem like true statements, unfortunately.
    05-16-16 05:18 PM
    There are plenty of good developers out there who could take BB10 and run with it. But their Android devices have to do better first.

Posted from my  Z10 via CB10
    05-16-16 06:35 PM
    BlackBerry failed to capitalise on all the other markets that are not the US when IPhone was introduced. They still had people interested in its phones even when iPhone was selling very well in the US. There are people who don't mind about all these other apps that are in these app stores. The numbers even increase in the emerging and developing nations. There people first ask is can it Whatsapp and then can I Facebook with it and if it can they are sold. The million+ apps are just an added advantage.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    05-17-16 11:33 AM
    BlackBerry failed to capitalise on all the other markets that are not the US when IPhone was introduced. They still had people interested in its phones even when iPhone was selling very well in the US. There are people who don't mind about all these other apps that are in these app stores. The numbers even increase in the emerging and developing nations. There people first ask is can it Whatsapp and then can I Facebook with it and if it can they are sold. The million+ apps are just an added advantage.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    Except bb is still losing market share in developing countries. "interest� regardless of how small or big itvis don't matter much when it does not translate to sales.
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-17-16 12:31 PM
    Except bb is still losing market share in developing countries. "interest� regardless of how small or big itvis don't matter much when it does not translate to sales.
    Most BlackBerry that you find readily avaliable in most of the developing markets is the BBOS phones and their functionality is limited. BB10 phones are not easy to find, but Android phones you can get in every shop. BlackBerry really didn't make their phones available and never marked them. Most people still think BlackBerry makes BBOS phones only.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    05-17-16 01:36 PM
    DTEK...Lmfao
    05-17-16 01:38 PM
    DTEK...Lmfao
    Actually it's very useful now. All permissions in one place. You can switch any of them off for all apps simultaneously, or by individual app.

Notifications are very customizable as well.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-17-16 01:46 PM
    There are plenty of good developers out there who could take BB10 and run with it. But their Android devices have to do better first.

Posted from my  Z10 via CB10
    Have you tried to hire good developers in North America or even India lately. I have, finding good talent is very challenging. There is a reason so many companies opened Dev centers by Blackberry over the last few years. They wanted to quickly grab the good talent as they left BB.

Finding developers who can build and maintain a mobile OS would be very challenging. If you could find the talent the cost would be enormous. BlackBerry would have to be very successful in Android to afford this effort. But if they were really successful in Android why would they spend the money on BB10.
    05-17-16 02:12 PM
    Have you tried to hire good developers in North America or even India lately. I have, finding good talent is very challenging. There is a reason so many companies opened Dev centers by Blackberry over the last few years. They wanted to quickly grab the good talent as they left BB.

Finding developers who can build and maintain a mobile OS would be very challenging. If you could find the talent the cost would be enormous. BlackBerry would have to be very successful in Android to afford this effort. But if they were really successful in Android why would they spend the money on BB10.
    Why would they devote resources to BB10? Because that's what some of their customers want. And because they wouldn't be putting all their proverbial eggs in the Android basket.

Android is still a tough sell in the enterprise market, which is dominated by iOS products.
    05-17-16 02:38 PM
    Why would they devote resources to BB10? Because that's what some of their customers want. And because they wouldn't be putting all their proverbial eggs in the Android basket.

Android is still a tough sell in the enterprise market, which is dominated by iOS products.
    They are devoting the minimum resources possible in order to fulfill their existing contracts. I'm sure they'd love to be done with it.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-17-16 02:45 PM
    They are devoting the minimum resources possible in order to fulfill their existing contracts. I'm sure they'd love to be done with it.
    You're sure, are you?

Well I'm sure they are committed to BB10 and might even release a new BB10 device or two in 2017.

I reject your sureness and substitute my own.
    conite likes this.
    05-17-16 03:21 PM
    Most BlackBerry that you find readily avaliable in most of the developing markets is the BBOS phones and their functionality is limited. BB10 phones are not easy to find, but Android phones you can get in every shop. BlackBerry really didn't make their phones available and never marked them. Most people still think BlackBerry makes BBOS phones only.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    It was too late. People had already made their choices. No amount of marketing would have changed things because people weren't going to leave iPhone or Android in droves. The numbers were never going to add up.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    05-17-16 03:40 PM
    You're sure, are you?

Well I'm sure they are committed to BB10 and might even release a new BB10 device or two in 2017.

I reject your sureness and substitute my own.
    As much as I love BB10, as long as BlackBerry is profit driven, publicly traded company that has to pay its stockholders and debtholders, you will never see new additional BB10 devices ever. They have no money or people to develop BB10 devices anymore.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-16 03:52 PM

If there was ever a time that developers were going to come to BB10... it was pre launch or just after, when there was potential for this to be a platform.

When you have a three year old platform where most commercially released apps are over two years old, are the are missing entirely... it's pretty clear that this isn't a valuable userbase in the eyes of most commercial developers or even the part timers. A few like Nemory are making money, but by offering poor copies of what people really want.

If BlackBerry has plans for BB10... it will start by them updating the developer tools and trying to restart interest with developers. But if they had those plans... why would they have basically shut down everything associated with developers in the first place?
    05-17-16 04:01 PM
    As much as I love BB10, as long as BlackBerry is profit driven, publicly traded company that has to pay its stockholders and debtholders, you will never see new additional BB10 devices ever. They have no money or people to develop BB10 devices anymore.

Posted via CB10
    Until they officially announce a BB10 EoL timeline, anything is possible.
    05-17-16 04:05 PM
191 ... 5678