With that kind of logic, why should any company keep anything secret?
    Why should they not give out all their IP for free and become charities?
    Why should any government keep anything secret?
    Why should there be any secret ballots?
    Why does Google have secret deals with Apple?
    Why doesn't Google publish their search algorithms for all to see and modify?
    Why doesn't Google make Play services and their code available to all OS-s for free if privacy and secrecy are not necessary?
    We cannot hide our faces, we cannot hide our identity, unless we're going to move to an uninhabited island. Your examples are completely irrelevant to my comment.
    01-30-16 03:05 PM
    We cannot hide our faces, we cannot hide our identity, unless we're going to move to an uninhabited island. Your examples are completely irrelevant to my comment.
    Yours are irrelevant to the privacy and data mining discussion.
    Besides, when you create content, your face is not always public. It does not have to be. It isn't here on crackberry. Most people on crackberry do not publish real names and real faces. Not even you.
    Why don't you publish here your full name and address, your workplace, your salary, your bank account, the name of your close family members, how much money you have in the bank, what investments accounts, if any, you have?
    TheAuthority likes this.
    01-30-16 03:09 PM
    Yours are irrelevant to the privacy and data mining discussion.
    Besides, when you create content, your face is not always public. It does not have to be. It isn't here on crackberry. Most people on crackberry do not publish real names and real faces.
    The discussion was about photos in the cloud. Some attacked the user who said he was OK with that. "What if someone gets access to them?" I believe that was the topic. My response is, why the secrecy?

You are a perfect example of someone who takes what someone said and twists it to fit your agenda.
    johnny_bravo72 and Bbnivende like this.
    01-30-16 03:12 PM
    The discussion was about photos in the cloud. Some attacked the user who said he was OK with that. "What if someone gets access to them?" I believe that was the topic. My response is, why the secrecy?

You are a perfect example of someone who takes what someone said and twists it to fit your agenda.
    The title of the thread is about android as a surveillance tool for Google.
    01-30-16 03:17 PM
    The title of the thread is about android as a surveillance tool for Google.
    So the conversation never brought up pictures in the cloud? I must have dreamt it.

Moving on...
    01-30-16 03:20 PM
    So the conversation never brought up pictures in the cloud? I must have dreamt it.

Moving on...
    Yes, and it is all under the banner of android as a surveillance tool. Sometimes you need to keep your face private, (like you do in this forum) even though it is available somewhere else.
    Sometimes even Google and the app developers who write apps to datamine our phones need to keep their code private so that they can earn a living.
    Most of us need privacy to live as human beings and to be able to sell our work, IP, whatever to earn a living. The mere fact that now we have Internet and smartphones does not change this need, and phones and Internet access can be private if there is a desire from governments for them to be so. Right now there isn't, but privacy is technically possible.

Not everyone posting here on crackberry works for a security agency, or for Google, to have the time, means and interest in finding out your identity, or even cares to find out your identity. To me you are anonymous and I respect your desire for privacy.
    Last edited by sorinv; 01-30-16 at 04:19 PM.
    01-30-16 03:54 PM
    Yes, and it is all under the banner of android as a surveillance tool. Sometimes you need to keep your face private, (like you do in this forum) even though it is available somewhere else.
    Sometimes even Google and the appp developers that write apps to datamine our phone need to keep their code private so tat they can earn a living.
    Most of us need privacy to live as human beings and to be able to sell our work, IP, whatever to earn a living.

Not everyone posting here on crackberry works for a security agency, or for Google to have the time, means and interest in finding out your identitity, or even cares to find out your identity. To my you are anonymous and I respect your desire for privacy.
    That's fine and I respect your opinion.

I have has my picture as my avatar on here before. Didn't bother me a bit and didn't affect me negatively. As far as companies, transparency has its benefits also. I understand that there are "top secret" things they work on, though most of the time it is leaked anyways. I work in healthcare and we are transparent about our quality measures (infection rates, falls, etc.) which builds trust with consumers. I think it can work both ways.
    01-30-16 04:00 PM
    That's fine and I respect your opinion.

I think it can work both ways.
    Yes, sometimes we publicize work and inventions, at other times, especially when success has not yet been achieved, we keep them secret. That's how it works in high tech and at Google, Apple, BlackBerry and the like. You may get "leaks" but, as we see here on crackberry, those leaks are often intentional...
    01-30-16 04:07 PM
    Yes, sometimes we publicize work and inventions, at other times, especially when success has not yet been achieved, we keep them secret. That's how it works in high tech and at Google, Apple, BlackBerry and the like. You may get "leaks" but, as we see here on crackberry, those leaks are often intentional...
    I think it shows every situation is different. We cannot make generalized comments about privacy and security because there are different viewpoints and situations. The more you talk about it (like us), the more you realize it isn't simple. I guess that was my point in all this.
    01-30-16 04:13 PM
    I think it shows every situation is different. We cannot make generalized comments about privacy and security because there are different viewpoints and situations. The more you talk about it (like us), the more you realize it isn't simple. I guess that was my point in all this.
    Agreed. It's seldom just black and white.
    TgeekB likes this.
    01-30-16 04:20 PM
    Because there are lots of seduction.... got lots of apps with lots of function that you can use with Google.

There is no denying that.

Furthermore all are free of charge. Why people don't use it? Now all the people are stupid including myself. O have Google account, I uploaded files onto Google Drive, all credit / debit cards purchase details are being sent to my gmail.

What you don't pay in fees, you exchange for being the product.

We got no choice, but we need to use them. We have to use them. We need Google, if one day Google required me to pay for 1 dollar for a search, I will pay it.

On this point I disagree. You do have a choice. It may take greater effort to find those alternatives - which is where most people get lost. I also wouldn't go so far to say that we HAVE to use them (them being google). I would not pay 1 dollar to perform a search.

It is simple, without Google we are dead. We don't know what we can do.

And that's exactly the mindset they have hoped to instill upon you. They have performed their job.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-16 01:22 PM
    Agreed. It's seldom just black and white.
    Sometimes it's rose-gold... ;-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    02-01-16 03:00 AM
    You and Sorinv always work together, any special reason?

Posted via Passport,
    05-07-16 09:40 PM
    You and Sorinv always work together, any special reason?

Posted via Passport,
    This post is months old. I don't even remember what we were discussing.
    Sorinv is a smart and good guy. We may have some differences but it makes for interesting conversation. Is that what you're asking?
    05-08-16 06:41 AM
    This post is months old. I don't even remember what we were discussing.
    Sorinv is a smart and good guy. We may have some differences but it makes for interesting conversation. Is that what you're asking?
    You two are Good guys

Posted via Passport,
    05-08-16 08:33 AM
    Some of us enjoy screwing with the government snooping agencies.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    05-08-16 05:16 PM
    Indeed. They have no right to do it. We pay their salaries, we should be snooping on them, not the other way around.
    To paraphrase Trudeau the Elder: "The government has no business in the bedrooms and smartphones of the nation." Looks like Tim Cook agrees with both.
    05-08-16 10:28 PM
    If you don't like Google you're welcome to migrate to China, for Google is banned here. No play store no gmaps no nothing, and I gotta tellya it's like hell here.
    05-09-16 03:10 AM
    If you don't like Google you're welcome to migrate to China, for Google is banned here. No play store no gmaps no nothing, and I gotta tellya it's like hell here.
    Life was much happier without Google!

Posted via Passport,
    05-09-16 05:36 AM
    I know it's like hell there. That's why we don't want a combination of Google and communist-like surveillance here. There's nothing worse than a capitalist monopoly with communist surveillance power. It is the worst of both systems. Even worse than what Orwell envisioned in 1984.
    In many ways China and Russia are already that: communists turned into capitalists with ruthless pervasive surveillance and no democracy.
    05-10-16 10:44 PM
    I know it's like hell there. That's why we don't want a combination of Google and communist-like surveillance here. There's nothing worse than a capitalist monopoly with communist surveillance power. It is the worst of both systems. Even worse than what Orwell envisioned in 1984.
    In many ways China and Russia are already that: communists turned into capitalists with ruthless pervasive surveillance and no democracy.
    Definitely true.
    But trust me, surveillance isn't the commie thing nowadays, the commies are more into censorship. They just delete and silence anything or anyone they find annoying. Surveillance I suppose is way too high tech for their backward politics.
    05-10-16 11:07 PM
    Surveillance was always the instrument of the communists, even with low tech. I recommend you watch "The Life of Others" the German film that won the foreign Oscar in 2006, about surveillance and informants in the former East Germany. I believe the original name was "Das Leben der Anderen".
    05-11-16 08:47 PM
    Definitely true.
    But trust me, surveillance isn't the commie thing nowadays, the commies are more into censorship. They just delete and silence anything or anyone they find annoying. Surveillance I suppose is way too high tech for their backward politics.
    You don't understand real politik. They only have to concentrate on surveillance today because they've already seized the high ground. They killed to get there, and will again when credibly challenged. Look at the consistent, out-sized, absurd reaction to Trump in the controlled media, to a man only mildly opposed.

Listen to Sorinv. He is right about this.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 09:17 PM
    You don't understand real politik. They only have to concentrate on surveillance today because they've already seized the high ground. They killed to get there, and will again when credibly challenged. Look at the consistent, out-sized, absurd reaction to Trump in the controlled media, to a man only mildly opposed.

Listen to Sorinv. He is right about this.

Posted via CB10
    You're saying that a Chinese, once member of the communist party, who lived decades under the rule of commies, doesn't understand Chinese politiks?

All due respect, but Mr. Sorinv's idea of learning politics through German films, is definitely not a great way to understand modern communism.
    05-11-16 09:29 PM
    You're saying that a Chinese, once member of the communist party, who lived decades under the rule of commies, doesn't understand Chinese politiks?

All due respect, but Mr. Sorinv's idea of learning politics through German films, is definitely not a great way to understand modern communism.
    You think I misspelled 'politics'. I did not. Sorinv gets it. You don't. *

*on this particular subject

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 09:41 PM
191 ... 34567 ...