Unfortunately yes. But just because it CAN be done, does not mean it should be done. There should be privacy laws in place for this. Did your old land line have 24/7 spying going on? No. When law enforcement or anyone else wanted information about you they had to get a warrant and THEN they could spy on you with a tap.
    Where do you draw the line and where does it stop being the responsibility of the OS to manage? No matter how many choices you give some people, leaving something like an app permission checked by default is akin to stealing their info from under their noses. I don't mean to sound cynical, but that's not exactly a conspiracy.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-16 02:25 PM
    Every smartphone photo or video that I take or have ever taken has been uploaded to Google Photo. With the EXIF data, Google knows practically every place I have ever traveled to, and a photo of every person I have ever been close to for the past 13 or so years. In return for opening myself up to that, I have storage of these images and videos in perpetuity and can share them simply by creating an album and sending a link.

I'm happy to store my most precious media with Google in exchange for free cloud storage, some curation, and easy browsing on any device like a tablet.
    Man, you really just don't care about your privacy or the people's privacy you photographed do you. If I was a friend or family member, I wouldn't be too happy with you. You destroy friends and family members privacy so YOU can have free storage from Google. Nice guy you are.
    GEO1ER and jsmith00075 like this.
    01-26-16 04:26 PM
    Man, you really just don't care about your privacy or the people's privacy you photographed do you. If I was a friend or family member, I wouldn't be too happy with you. You destroy friends and family members privacy so YOU can have free storage from Google. Nice guy you are.
    People know when you take their picture with a smartphone it may be going public. Many expect that. Your definition of privacy is not universal.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-26-16 04:32 PM
    Google wants you info to sell targeted ads, same as facebook and bing. Most people don't have a problem with this. Even people who claim to aren't going to give up there google services or facebook accounts for the sake of privacy.

Now as far as the government is concerned, probably better to go off the grid completely. Even if you have an organization that uses BES, what are they most likely going to do if the authorities come asking for info on you.
    01-26-16 04:39 PM
    So they can play candy crush. Cause the os is a confusing mess

Posted via CB10
    TheAuthority likes this.
    01-26-16 06:38 PM
    lol. I have experienced a number of people aggressively evangelize Android (I work in technology) and I know how passionate they are about it, but they must also be quite insecure if they are that desperate to convert other people to using it.
    With all due respect, what does that say about the BB10 folks who say it is supreme? All platforms have evangelicals.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-26-16 08:05 PM
    Even so, why BB10 then? You don't like Android, you have iOS and/or Windows phone which have far better dev support than BB10.
    I doubt Windows phone has better Dev support than BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-16 08:18 PM
    Every mobile phone currently in use, regardless of carrier or platform, is potentially a surveillance device for the government (or the carrier). So, why would anyone carry a cellphone? And the power company monitors your power usage and will report you to the government if you use a lot. Same with your water or garbage service.

Maybe we should all live in a cabin in the woods, using wood for heat, a stream for water, and a trench in the ground as a toilet. Then we'd be safe from government attention.

Oh, damn! I forgot about the tax man (property taxes)! And the DRONES! OMG, the DRONES! There's no escape!!!

Or...

You could realize that to live a modern lifestyle, with terrific tools like modern smartphones to help you work and be productive in all kinds of ways, you need to be using a platform that is widely supported. That means iOS or Android, or maybe WinPhone - which means you're dealing with Apple, Google (Alphabet), or Microsoft - all of whom are giant corporations who, out of necessity, have to work with the government on certain issues, and all of whom openly admit to keeping and using your data (oh, and so does BlackBerry, as they also openly admit in their Terms Of Service). BB has also been working closely with Google - and Samsung - for the last couple of years. So, if you want to use a smartphone, there is "no escape."

Except, of course, that with all of these services, there are tools available to limit the data you give to those companies. Of course, the more you limit, the more reduced your functionality is, but that allows everyone to balance their own functionality-to-paranoia equation.
    Troy come on, let's be real. I mean every car can potentially get in an accident but I think what the OP is asking is why choose a car with a poor safety rating. I get it, for the apps. I too will be leaving BB10 for the Android powered Priv but I'm not going to lie to myself to feel better. We sell our soul to the Devil for the Apps! It's sad.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by GEO1ER; 01-26-16 at 08:33 PM.
    lift and JulesDB like this.
    01-26-16 08:22 PM
    Because there are lots of seduction.... got lots of apps with lots of function that you can use with Google.

Furthermore all are free of charge. Why people don't use it? Now all the people are stupid including myself. O have Google account, I uploaded files onto Google Drive, all credit / debit cards purchase details are being sent to my gmail.

We got no choice, but we need to use them. We have to use them. We need Google, if one day Google required me to pay for 1 dollar for a search, I will pay it.

It is simple, without Google we are dead. We don't know what we can do.

Posted via CB10
    LOL! Sorry Calvin but that is pathetically sad! No disrespect, it just is.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-16 08:27 PM
    Yup. Even worse, all of my money is in the cloud, being held by a couple of banks and a few financial services companies. Intuit knows virtually all of my non-cash transactions via their mint.com online finance tracking service. Since I hardly talk on the phone, all of my communication goes through either Gmail or Apple iMessage. My ISP, of course, knows everything I do online. I guess I don't care that much about my privacy.

I hope Google keeps all of my photos and videos of my family and friends forever. Given how successful they are I'm not too worried about them going back on their promise to do so. I'm glad I'll never lose access to them so long as I can get to a computer and remember my login credentials.
    01-26-16 09:31 PM
    Yup. Even worse, all of my money is in the cloud, being held by a couple of banks and a few financial services companies. Intuit knows virtually all of my non-cash transactions via their mint.com online finance tracking service. Since I hardly talk on the phone, all of my communication goes through either Gmail or Apple iMessage. My ISP, of course, knows everything I do online. I guess I don't care that much about my privacy.

I hope Google keeps all of my photos and videos of my family and friends forever. Given how successful they are I'm not too worried about them going back on their promise to do so. I'm glad I'll never lose access to them so long as I can get to a computer and remember my login credentials.
    Um, Yeah. O.K.
    01-26-16 10:19 PM
    I dont want android crap. I love BB10 OS.

  
    Which is a bigger surveillance tool for the government, as they will comply and provide access for "lawful requests".
    01-26-16 10:26 PM
    I don't understand people's dependency on Google's "free" services. If you spend 15 minutes doing a bit of research online, you'll find many secure and encrypted alternatives to just about every service that you want, including search engines, email, and cloud hosting.
    lift likes this.
    01-26-16 11:36 PM
    I don't understand people's dependency on Google's "free" services. If you spend 15 minutes doing a bit of research online, you'll find many secure and encrypted alternatives to just about every service that you want, including search engines, email, and cloud hosting.
    Because I have better things to do than set up alternatives with companies that either get bought out or go under on a regular basis. With regard to Google, at least you have a company that as a significant stake in protecting their reputation as opposed to companies that may or may not exist in a couple years. Plus, I don't feel the need to impress people with my alternative search engine.
    SMocek and app_Developer like this.
    01-27-16 12:42 AM
    Unfortunately yes. But just because it CAN be done, does not mean it should be done. There should be privacy laws in place for this. Did your old land line have 24/7 spying going on? No. When law enforcement or anyone else wanted information about you they had to get a warrant and THEN they could spy on you with a tap.
    You are replying on behalf of security agencies???

Posted via Priv...
    01-27-16 01:47 AM
    Don't put logic in such a thread. You see what kind of stupid replies you get..
    lift and sonicpix like this.
    01-27-16 02:03 AM
    Don't put logic in such a thread. You see what kind of stupid replies you get..
    Ya, my bad!
    lift likes this.
    01-27-16 02:23 AM
    Google's services are not just "free", they are also pretty good. There are a lot of free services out there that are just crap. People also like using just one account for mail/cloud storage/ document editing etc

It's not that people don't have alternatives. I really like to use gmail due to its interface and I have set up around 30 tags for emails. I also use an outlook account with onedrive.

The problems people have with Google services is not quality (most services are top quality), but privacy issues. And unless information actually leaks as a result of a hack, online privacy is not a top priority for most people.
    01-27-16 03:29 AM
    Because I have better things to do than set up alternatives with companies that either get bought out or go under on a regular basis. With regard to Google, at least you have a company that as a significant stake in protecting their reputation as opposed to companies that may or may not exist in a couple years. Plus, I don't feel the need to impress people with my alternative search engine.
    Google has a reputation? Bad, Yes.
    Read/watch the news rather than Google play news services...

Only in the last two days UK, France, and Australia have announced that they are going after Google for not paying more than 1% taxes on the billions of dollars they made in each of those countries last year out of advertising based on your free data.

Apple behaves the same way. Today on ABC news in Australia, they mentioned that, out of 8 Billion AUD worth of product Apple sold last year in Australia, they paid less than 1% tax.

And you want to trust these companies with what is in your head (not much worth guarding obviously according to you), what you think, what your political views are, when and what you eat, drink, what your blood pressure is?

The necessary privacy laws are in place. They are just not enforced on Google, Apple, and the like.

Your MD is not allowed to share your pulse and blood pressure.
    He or she would lose their license if they did.
    But you are OK with Google, Apple or some app developer doing so...

None of these actions would pass professional engineer ethics requirements in Ontario.
    Last edited by sorinv; 01-27-16 at 06:43 AM.
    lift and BB_PP like this.
    01-27-16 06:13 AM
    Google has a reputation? Bad, Yes.
    Read/watch the news rather than Google play news services...

Only in the last two days UK, France, and Australia have announced that they are going after Google for not paying more than 1% taxes on the billions of dollars they made in each of those countries last year out of advertising...

Apple behaves the same way. Today on the news in Australia they were mentioning that out of 8 Billion AUD Apple sold last year in Australia they paid less than 1% tax.

And you want to trust these companies with what is in your head (not much worth guarding obviously according to you), what you think, what your political views are, when and what you eat, drink, what your blood pressure is?

The necessary privacy laws are in place. They are just not enforced on Google, Apple and the like.

Your MD is not allowed to share your pulse and blood pressure.
    He or she would lose their license if they did.
    But you are OK with Google, Apple or some app developer doing so...

None of these actions would pass professional engineer ethics requirements in Ontario.
    I would imagine there are tons of companies that have done something someone considers unethical but are still used and trusted. Look at drug companies, auto manufacturers, insurance companies, Walmart, banks, etc. It doesn't mean that they cannot provide a good product or be viewed as a trusted entity in some other aspect of their business by some people.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-16 06:40 AM
    I would imagine there are tons of companies that have done something someone considers unethical but are still used and trusted. Look at drug companies, auto manufacturers, insurance companies, Walmart, banks, etc. It doesn't mean that they cannot provide a good product or be viewed as a trusted entity in some other aspect of their business by some people.

Posted via CB10
    That does not make it right!

Like the OP, while I understand that some people don't care, I don't understand why they want to force lack of privacy on everyone else by trying to say that what Google and others are doing is a good thing and everybody should accept it.

Those who care about privacy do not have the option of paying for the service in exchange for keeping their data private.
    The majority mob here rules. There will always be more people who can't afford to pay for an app than those who can.
    That's what Google is counting on and they make billions of dollars (about 5B pounds in UK alone last year) by selling your search habits to advertisers and paying less than 1% tax back.
    lift and BB_PP like this.
    01-27-16 06:50 AM
    That does not make it right!

Like the OP, while I understand that some people don't care, I don't understand why they want to force lack of privacy on everyone else by trying to say that what Google and others are doing is a good thing and everybody should accept it.

Those who care about privacy do not have the option of paying for the service in exchange for keeping their data private.
    The majority mob here rules. There will always be more people who can't afford to pay for an app than those who can.
    That's what Google is counting on and they make billions of dollars (about 5B pounds in UK alone last year) by selling your search habits to advertisers and paying less than 1% tax back.
    Oh yes, I completely understand your point. I just find that it can be difficult to draw a clear line regarding some ethical issues or abandoning something or someone for crossing a perceived line. If I took a hard stance, I would probably no longer talk to some of my friends, some family members, shop at certain stores, or consume popular media since many actors and musicians have done regrettable things. But as you said, it doesn't make it right.

It would be an interesting avenue for Google to take--pay for services and your data is not mined. However, I suspect that their TOC does state what they will do if you use their services, so perhaps the best option for a concerned person is to never use them in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    01-27-16 07:23 AM
    Google is a business, their stock in trade is YOU. The surveillance issue is a by product. People use Google as its a "free" service which the majority don't or can't pay for monetarily. The issue of Privacy will eventually come home to roost for many oblivious to the the fact or who say that they mitigate the risks.

If anyone thinks that Google "protects " them in anyway they need a reality check, just read their TOS. Their (Google) play on "free speech " has allowed many to post defamatory information, irresponsible statements which are harmful in one way or another, without culpability. There is need to "censor " the Internet by proper independent bodies that actually have the powers to fine and imprison perpetrators of any kind and liability should fall on the coffers of Google or any search engine.

Google does NOT care for their users, the entire Web needs proper oversight and independent bodies outside of Governmental (local) controls needs to be established.

Why would a game app need access ones location, contact list, photos, audio. Etc . Time for many to wake up.

Posted via CB10
    sonicpix likes this.
    01-27-16 07:49 AM
    Why would a game app need access ones location, contact list, photos, audio. Etc . Time for many to wake up.

Posted via CB10
    I use an Android Permission manager app on BB10, and it logs which permissions are actually used. You will find that most of them never are.

DTek on the Priv provides a similar story.

I hope developers will reign this stuff in with Marshmallow.

With only few exceptions, I don't believe anything nefarious is afoot, just a bit of laziness from the app developers. Now that people are starting to think about these things, they may too.
    Last edited by conite; 01-27-16 at 12:17 PM.
    01-27-16 08:09 AM

There is need to "censor " the Internet by proper independent bodies that actually have the powers to fine and imprison perpetrators of any kind and liability should fall on the coffers of Google or any search engines

Posted via CB10
    I found these statements are ..... disturbing. Independent bodies ? ... have powers to fine and imprison ? .... what year is it now ? Is it Berlin, 1938 ?? ... is this real life ? Or is this just fantasy ? ...
    TgeekB and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    01-27-16 12:13 PM
191 1234 ...