RIM has a huge interest in developing an OS with robust support with HTML5,

but firefox is also trying their luck in the mobile arena. If RIM fails to deliver, I'll give Firefox OS a try. No android, no win 8, no Malus Domestica for me. both bb10 and ffOS are coming in 2013.

Mozilla Gains Global Support For a Firefox Mobile OS
    JUL
    � First devices featuring Firefox OS to be manufactured by TCL Communication Technology (Alcatel) and ZTE
    � Leading global network operators back initiative, including Deutsche Telekom, Etisalat, Smart, Sprint, Telecom Italia, Telef�nica and Telenor

Industry support is growing behind Mozilla�s plans to launch a new fully open mobile ecosystem based on HTML5. The operating system, which Mozilla today confirmed will use its Firefox brand, will power the launch of smartphones built entirely to open Web standards, where all of the device�s capabilities can be developed as HTML5 applications.

Mapping to key Firefox footprints around the globe, leading operators Deutsche Telekom, Etisalat, Smart, Sprint, Telecom Italia, Telef�nica and Telenor are backing the open Firefox OS as an exciting new entrant to the smartphone marketplace. They have also identified the potential of the technology to deliver compelling smartphone experiences at attainable prices.

Device manufacturers TCL Communication Technology (under the Alcatel One Touch brand) and ZTE today announced their intentions to manufacture the first devices to feature the new Firefox OS, using Snapdragon� processors from Qualcomm Incorporated, the leader in smartphone platforms. The first Firefox OS powered devices are expected to launch commercially in Brazil in early 2013 through Telef�nica�s commercial brand, Vivo.

The Firefox OS for mobile devices is built on Mozilla�s �Boot to Gecko project� which unlocks many of the current limitations of web development on mobile, allowing HTML5 applications to access the underlying capabilities of a phone, previously only available to native applications. Telef�nica�s Digital unit joined forces with Mozilla earlier this year to take this work and showcase a new phone architecture where every phone feature (calling, messaging, games, etc.) is an HTML5 application.

Due to the optimization of the platform for entry-level smartphones and the removal of unnecessary middleware layers, mobile operators will have the ability to offer richer experiences at a range of price points including at the low end of the smartphone price range, helping to drive adoption across developing markets.

Mozilla and all other participants are committed to ensuring the project is fully open and the reference implementation of the required Web APIs is being submitted to W3C for standardization.

�The introduction of the open mobile OS continues the Mozilla mission to promote openness, innovation and opportunity on the Web for users and developers. As billions of users are expected to come online for the first time in the coming years, it is important to deliver a compelling smartphone experience that anyone can use,� said Gary Kovacs, CEO, Mozilla. �The large number of operators and manufacturers now supporting this effort will bring additional resources and diversity to our global offerings.�
    07-02-12 10:13 PM
    I will keep an eye on this but don't think it is going to be a top tier player or one
    that give RIM, Apple, MSFT or Android any real fits.

There is this:

The hardware will be made by Chinese company TCL, which here in the States makes things under the RCA brand, and ZTE, which makes mostly low-end phones, and will include Snapdragon processors from Qualcomm. On the network side, they're working with Sprint, Deutsche Telekom, Telef�nica and more. Given the choice of hardware partners, I'd expect the Firefox phones to be aimed more at the low-end market, perhaps especially in developing nations.
    pantlesspenguin and mikelcal like this.
    07-02-12 10:25 PM
    I will keep an eye on this but don't think it is going to be a top tier player or one
    that give RIM, Apple, MSFT or Android any real fits.

There is this:
    Yeah but then you got folks like huawei and vizio who were nobodies until they jumped on an emerging market. Huawei is making quite a bit of money this day making cheap android phones and vizio is skimming lots of dough off the top in the flat screen industry. HTML5 means apps made with WebWorks can be easily ported to the new OS.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-02-12 10:29 PM
    Both excellent points but I still don't see how this is going to gain very much traction
    outside of the novelty. Whatever the case the next six to nine months are going to
    be very interesting
    07-02-12 10:42 PM
    Both excellent points but I still don't see how this is going to gain very much traction
    outside of the novelty. Whatever the case the next six to nine months are going to
    be very interesting
    If you want an open source smartphone OS that runs HTML apps, there is alway webOS.
    BoldPreza likes this.
    07-02-12 10:48 PM
    If you want an open source smartphone OS that runs HTML apps, there is alway webOS.
    I guess, but they already had their time in the limelight. I want something fresh ergo bb10...now if for whatever reason the mass media doesn't allow RIM to deliver, i'll be waiting on a new horizon.
    07-02-12 11:45 PM
    Someone is making and sellling WebOS phones again????
    07-03-12 03:48 AM
    WebOS is moving to an Open Source format hopefully by the end of the year. Even if it doesn't get put on any phones, porting it over should be a possibility to most phones and on top of that the WebOS UI is fantastic!
    07-03-12 10:07 AM
    Why? How is a firefox phone with yet another new OS going to do any better than RIM or MS? Won't you be jumping from a sinking ship onto one that can't even get out of the port?
    jafobabe likes this.
    07-03-12 10:54 AM
    RIM is better hedging its bets with Microsoft, but I hate Microsoft on all accounts, which maybe leads to me thinking that HP and RIM could pool together resources to produce a fourth player with all their undoubtedly valuable patents.
    07-04-12 07:43 AM
    Everybody is saying that there is no longer room for RIM in the smartphone market and RIM pretty much invented the whole genre.

Along come Mozilla with a little more than a browser to their name and suddenly they are the talk of the town.

WHAT is going on? If RIM can't succeed with its history of excellent and secure range of phones how can you people give any creedence to Mozilla who will have a new and untested OS and a browser that has yet to be seen running on a phone that will run smack into the low end of Android phones.

Why will Mozilla succeed now when they know nothing about this market and RIM fail?

I would really like to know what I am missing here.
    07-04-12 07:51 AM
    It's called the 'Snake Oil' marketing... the cure all for what ails you.

The problem I see with this, is where are these developing countries and people have the money to get it and afford them?
    07-04-12 12:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD