I am on the Verizon network with a BB Curve (8330). But when I'm overseas and need the GSM network I have to run the BB 8830 (World Phone) which has GSM in addition to CDMA. The problem is that I don't want to pay the high roaming rates when overseas for normal phone use. I have to change the ESN to the from the Curve 8330 to the 8830 when I travel overseas.

I currently have a regular (Moto Razr) 4 band GSM phone for overseas use.

Should I also get a 4 band GSM phone (e.g. Curve or perhaps better yet the Bold) for overseas use and will I also get my emails as I do on the BB 8830? So I would travel overseas with 2 BBs: The 8830 to get my USA phone calls and text messages and the Curve 83xx (or Bold) 4 band GSM? I would then also get my email on both phones (the 8830 on the Verizon net with International roaming) and the 83xx Curve (or Bold)?

TIA
    09-04-08 10:09 AM
    Just buy an unlocked phone for international use and buy a prepaid sim in the country your staying in if you want to roam with blackberry it's very expensive.
    09-04-08 12:19 PM
    Thank you. So I can just buy a ATT or T-mobile 4 band GSM phone that is unlocked and that will work? I am already using prepaid sim cards in my Moto Razr 4 band GSM phone.
    09-04-08 03:24 PM
    i think its a better idea to just use 1 blackberry with at&t international data plan, i think its about $75 a month. Then you can use your razor or another small phone unlocked to use a sim card from the country you are traveling in for phone calls.
    09-06-08 03:09 AM
    i think its a better idea to just use 1 blackberry with at&t international data plan, i think its about $75 a month. Then you can use your razor or another small phone unlocked to use a sim card from the country you are traveling in for phone calls.
    I just upgraded my data plan to this. I'm going to Europe this week and was looking for the best solution and I think this is it. It's the AT&T World BB Data plan and it's $65/mo (only $35 more than the standard BB data plan) and it's unlimited data in the US and worldwide. This will be excellent for navigating around using the GPS programs.
    09-08-08 08:47 AM
    I just got back from spending the better part of three months out of the US (Japan, China, Europe, etc). I like T-Mobile's international plan: an extra $20/month on top of the standard $20/month domestic data plan gets you unlimited data coverage anywhere in the world. Voice charges can be pricey ($2/min in Japan and $3/min in China) but you'll be fine if you can communicate via PIN/email.

My thinking has been that the whole point of the Blackberry was having a device that received all your emails/messages, so I'd get just one Blackberry and stick with it. If you're tied to Verizon, then you're stuck with the 8830 (until the Storm comes out, perhaps). If you're not, I'd go with a GSM network. It allows you to switch phones more easily and it opens you up to phones like the Bold and 8707 and thus coverage in South Korea and Japan.
    09-08-08 10:46 AM
    I just upgraded my data plan to this. I'm going to Europe this week and was looking for the best solution and I think this is it. It's the AT&T World BB Data plan and it's $65/mo (only $35 more than the standard BB data plan) and it's unlimited data in the US and worldwide. This will be excellent for navigating around using the GPS programs.
    I'm waiting on the Bold and thinking about getting AT&T International BB Data plan. If I want to avoid the pricey roaming charge for calls oversea but also want to receive my emails thru BB.. what's the best approach?

Use my BB for data/email only and bring another GSM phone with prepaid SIM card for that country? Does the data plan tie to the SIM card or device?
    Thanks in advance.
    10-14-08 01:04 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

I have not verified it, but I think it is tied to the SIM card.

Using a prepaid SIM would let you avoid the roaming charges, but I do not think it will find your carriers BIS account.

If T-Mobile is a option, the Hotspot service (UMA) does work internationly, in a Wifi hotspot.
    10-14-08 02:07 PM
    Thanks Reed.
    It makes sense that it's tied to the SIM card.
    I'll disable the voice service on BB (if it's possible?) when I'm out of the country and use the data only.
    10-14-08 04:35 PM
    [color=green]Welcome to CrackBerry.

I have not verified it, but I think it is tied to the SIM card.

Using a prepaid SIM would let you avoid the roaming charges, but I do not think it will find your carriers BIS account.
    Correct on both counts. Very few (if any) service providers permit BB data on a contract-free prepay SIM.

Even if BB data is available from foreign carriers the only practical option is to roam using your existing home service. To migrate to foreign temporary SIM would mean you have to register the Berry to the foreign provider's BIS server, which would mean disconnecting from the home server.
    10-14-08 06:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD