"As part of its efforts to promote a unified Android platform, OHA members are contractually forbidden from producing devices that are based on competing forks of Android." -- OHA article on Wikipedia.

Would this get BlackBerry around the OHA restriction?

1) The BlackBerry Soul: The computer and radios of the phone that slide into a BlackBerry hardware form-factor called a BlackBerry Shell.
    2) The BlackBerry Shell: The phones form-factor that can accept any BlackBerry Soul.

Different Souls can be created by BlackBerry that either have Google Android or any other high demand OS. The device is essentially the soul; where the shell is just the hardware UI; nothing more than the mechanics and some basic conduit circuits.
    09-21-20 08:14 PM
    "As part of its efforts to promote a unified Android platform, OHA members are contractually forbidden from producing devices that are based on competing forks of Android." -- OHA article on Wikipedia.

Would this get BlackBerry around the OHA restriction?

1) The BlackBerry Soul: The computer and radios of the phone that slide into a BlackBerry hardware form-factor called a BlackBerry Shell.
    2) The BlackBerry Shell: The phones form-factor that can accept any BlackBerry Soul.

Different Souls can be created by BlackBerry that either have Google Android or any other high demand OS. The device is essentially the soul; where the shell is just the hardware UI; nothing more than the mechanics and some basic conduit circuits.
    yeah sounds totally profitable
    09-21-20 08:17 PM
    yeah sounds totally profitable
    Profits could be secured in some-kind of SAF implementation; as Conite had pointed out in another post, BB phones are not profitable in-themselves. And I wouldn't want to have to upgrade a perfect Bold for example unless the radio hardware and software support became outdated. The way it is for the rest of the phone market for profitability is based on planned obsolescence. I would rather subscribe to BlackBerry to keep my phone going for many more years.
    09-21-20 08:23 PM
    You can't get around OHA rules.

If you want the Google Services Framework on a device, you relinquish all rights to sell any other Android device without it. That's pretty much it.

And the device that has GSF must be 100% compatible with vanilla Android - with no other OS running.
    3800, Laura Knotek, pdr733 and 2 others like this.
    09-21-20 08:28 PM
    @conite wrote: "I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you want GSF, you relinquish your right to sell any other Android device without it. Full stop."

Solution: BlackBerry leaves it to a third party to create a Google Android Soul. BB just produces a Soul with privacy and security in mind. Question: Could OM create the [Googoly] Android Soul while BlackBerry creates the secured locked down Android Soul even though both companies are partnered?

I could see a third party Soul market opening up to BlackBerry's Shell standards, which of course they'd patent the interfacing of Soul to Shell along with all the other IP that go with their Shell.
    09-21-20 08:31 PM
    @conite wrote: "I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you want GSF, you relinquish your right to sell any other Android device without it. Full stop."

Solution: BlackBerry leaves it to a third party to create a Google Android Soul. Google just produces a Soul with privacy and security in mind. Question: Could OM create the Android Soul while BlackBerry creates the secured locked down Android Soul even though both companies are partnered?

I could see a third party Soul market opening up to BlackBerry's Shell standards, which of course they'd patent the interfacing of Soul to Shell along with all the other IP that go with their Shell.
    A mobile platform does not delineate in the way you describe. Nor would it be permitted to.
    3800 and BBuso77 like this.
    09-21-20 08:33 PM

Solution: BlackBerry leaves it to a third party to create a Google Android Soul. BB just produces a Soul with privacy and security in mind. Question: Could OM create the [Googoly] Android Soul while BlackBerry creates the secured locked down Android Soul even though both companies are partnered?

DOA
    bakron1, 3800 and pdr733 like this.
    09-21-20 09:25 PM
    or any other high demand OS
    Apple would never produce a build for non-Apple hardware.
    09-22-20 09:10 AM
    Apple would never produce a build for non-Apple hardware.
    That would be the exception.....I meant high demand OS in the nitch of folks along the lines of any Linux variants --- the types that wouldn't ever consider iOS.
    Chuck Finley69 likes this.
    09-22-20 09:36 AM
    That would be the exception.....I meant high demand OS in the nitch of folks along the lines of any Linux variants --- the types that wouldn't ever consider iOS.
    In the mobile space, anything not traditional Android/iOS doesn't even come remotely close to definition of high demand to OEMs and developers.

OM can't afford to waste time and limited economic and human resources. This is a project that's attempting to scale. If OM falls down rabbit holes, it won't be able to save itself.
    pdr733 and 3800 like this.
    09-22-20 10:06 AM
    OM can't afford to waste time and limited economic and human resources. This is a project that's attempting to scale. If OM falls down rabbit holes, it won't be able to save itself.
    Plus they would have to certify the device multiple times for each OS build that they offer. Not to mention the carriers would have to be on board with this. Its already gonna take some pillow talk to get them to whitelist the new Android device for all call features.
    pdr733 likes this.
    09-22-20 10:32 AM
    A waste of time...and resources....Again.

You are talking about a device that is going to be marketed as made in America and people want a viable, secure app store.
    09-22-20 11:09 AM
    I feel that this is a solution in search of a problem. Demand for non Google Android is not nearly as strong (in fact it is either specialized niche applications where this is needed or a small amount of people opposed to Apple and Google on, ideational grounds) to warrant the mass production of a device to cater to that market.
    Not saying that this demand is zero, but certainly not enough for a startup to spend resources on.
    3800 likes this.
    09-22-20 01:23 PM
    In the mobile space, anything not traditional Android/iOS doesn't even come remotely close to definition of high demand to OEMs and developers.

I get the feeling that things are winding down at Jolla... as well as the other few forked versions of Android and about half dozen Linux distributions. Several crowdfunding campaigns have failed.... and I doubt there is much more seed money out there.

Some like PINE are trying to sell devices to support their software efforts... but again the development to manufacturing to delivery takes so long, by the time the hardware get's produced it's dated, and sadly in many views... a the software is a beta product at best.
    pdr733 likes this.
    09-22-20 03:58 PM
    Android and iOS have come a very long way. Check out both new versions. They really don’t leave very many people clamoring for a 3rd OS.
    pdr733 and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    09-22-20 10:53 PM
    I get the feeling that things are winding down at Jolla... as well as the other few forked versions of Android and about half dozen Linux distributions. Several crowdfunding campaigns have failed.... and I doubt there is much more seed money out there.

Some like PINE are trying to sell devices to support their software efforts... but again the development to manufacturing to delivery takes so long, by the time the hardware get's produced it's dated, and sadly in many views... a the software is a beta product at best.
    I have a Pinephone. It is definitely a beta product -- and was marketed from the start as one.

Nine months later, some builds are emerging that an intrepid individual could use as a daily driver. Emphasis on intrepid. Still, the idea holds promise, especially if you care about being surveilled.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-23-20 08:36 AM