I think all of us agree that getting more native BlackBerry apps is the best experience for us. The problem is motivating app developers to create native apps. Apps are like any other business. They are motivated by making money.

So what can BlackBerry do to help them? I was thinking that if BlackBerry made it easy for developers to get paid upgrades to their apps then they might be able to make a profit. I've read that even Apple app developers dislike not having a paid upgrade option. The pay once for the lifetime of the app is not a sustainable business strategy. It's only the popular apps that can make money this way.

Even though BlackBerry has a smaller market share, if most apps can make a profit then I believe that would motive more developers to create native apps. If we want more native apps, then I don't think there is much other choice than for us consumers to pay for it.

I prefer paid apps anyway because I don't like ads and I like to support the developer directly. Imagine if most BlackBerry customers paid for apps and were willing to pay for major version upgrades. I'm not talking about the minor bug fix updates that should stay free. This is what they do traditionally for paid computer software. If most people are willing to pay for upgrades, then I believe it would greatly motive developers to create more native apps.

From the reports I've read, it seems the reason why developers still prefer Apple iOS is because Apple customers are more willing to pay for apps. Even though Android has a lot of customers, they don't seem to be as willing to pay for apps. It seems that getting customers to pay for apps is the best motivation to developers. This means that BlackBerry doesn't necessarily have to have a larger market share. If they can create a sustainable revenue for developers with paid upgrades then that might just be enough motivation for developers. I'm willing to pay for apps people normally get free on other phones if that helps to get more native apps.
    02-02-14 11:28 PM
    Developers can charge for updates by using in app purchases for new features.
    Personally I think in most situations charging for an app update shouldn't be done, and I'm glad BlackBerry removed the ability to easily do so.
    02-02-14 11:48 PM
    As far as getting native apps I think BlackBerry should accept apk's in BlackBerry world and have them clearly separate from native apps and then use the number of downloads as a way to show the developer there is a demand for a native app or have an option to petition for a native version in the app reviews in BlackBerry world.

Posted via CB10
    BoldPreza likes this.
    02-03-14 12:01 AM
    As far as getting native apps I think BlackBerry should accept apk's in BlackBerry world and have them clearly separate from native apps and then use the number of downloads as a way to show the developer there is a demand for a native app or have an option to petition for a native version in the app reviews in BlackBerry world.

Posted via CB10
    They already have a section in their App World specifically for apps that are "Built for Blackberry" It's called the "Built for Blackberry" section.
    02-03-14 12:11 AM
    Or even better, give all money made from sales to the developer instead of taking a cut. (They should do this for 1 year)
    02-03-14 12:35 AM
    Or even better, give all money made from sales to the developer instead of taking a cut. (They should do this for 1 year)
    I like this idea

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 08:53 AM