View Poll Results: Would you be in favour of having a sub forum with more strictly moderated technical threads?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - No filler, just what matters

22 88.00%
  • No - All the filler, I like searching 80+ pages for info

3 12.00%
    All joking aside, I think it's not a bad idea, but I'm not sure about giving moderator abilities to people who haven't been properly "screened" (for lack of a better term). I think there would be better ways to achieve it than to grant specific members "mini moderator" abilities. I think that could be too easily abused, even in an isolated location on the forums.

Consider this: rather than creating an area where these members can arbitrarily delete posts, how about we create an area where no post is made visible until someone approves it. It could be structured more like a Q&A. The leaks team (or anyone approved to post in the area) could create their thread, then users looking for support could post their questions which will await moderation by the team. They can then refrain from answering the same question over and over again.

Another alternative, how about restricted sticky threads where only certain privileged members can post. The instructions can be posted there, and another thread can be opened for questions. Answers can then be pulled from the question thread and posted in the sticky thread to provide a clean, easy to read layout.
    Seems like a valid idea. Hmmm. Altho dammit. More work for us lmao

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.xxxx member/co-founder Berryleaks. From CB10. My channel C000B3B57. Team channel C00032537
    PlayBookUserMT likes this.
    12-05-13 03:55 PM
    I will run it up the chain to get some input
    Thanks for taking this into consideration.

I read another thread recently asking for more moderators and agreed with the way you guys responded within that thread. I know you're a small team and you guys do a great job here at censoring the forums without being overbearing. I want to stress that you do a great job overall and on average there's not much I would change. Just in this case I think my idea would be beneficial for a small number of threads.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by PlayBookUserMT; 12-05-13 at 06:03 PM.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-05-13 05:11 PM
    Seems like a valid idea. Hmmm. Altho dammit. More work for us lmao

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.xxxx member/co-founder Berryleaks. From CB10. My channel C000B3B57. Team channel C00032537
    Not trying to work you too hard . I used BerryLeaks as a prime example since you guys have very active threads and are a decent sized team. I'd trust you policing your leak threads. Besides think about how nice it would be to get rid of the people that discuss their "right" to all leaks, immediately, all the time, every time you guys post stuff. It could be therapeutic to get rid of all the nonsense lol
    Mecca EL and MobileMadness002 like this.
    12-05-13 05:17 PM
    It's extremely hard to police a leak thread! Options have been juggled, including having a Closed leak thread and some supplement threads that revolve around that particular leaked thread.

I love this idea.
    I can definitely see this being a common topic of discussion for your team. The worry I would have with a closed thread with supplemental threads would be the closed thread getting buried as the other threads may be a lot more active. This would also continue to create a mess of threads all on the same OS leak. I don't think stickies would work either as you would end up with way too many over time.

It would be awesome if you guys had your own subforum within the Leaked OS subforum with just a single thread per OS with all the information clearly laid out. In the long run it would be a chronological archive of all the leaks we get that would be easy to navigate.

Threads that you guys could moderate, but other members could contribute to so you wouldn't have to search everywhere else for the info and could delete the irrelevant stuff.
    Mecca EL and Wigley458 like this.
    12-05-13 05:27 PM
    I can definitely see this being a common topic of discussion for your team. The worry I would have with a closed thread with supplemental threads would be the closed thread getting buried as the other threads may be a lot more active. This would also continue to create a mess of threads all on the same OS leak. I don't think stickies would work either as you would end up with way too many over time.

It would be awesome if you guys had your own subforum within the Leaked OS subforum with just a single thread per OS with all the information clearly laid out. In the long run it would be a chronological archive of all the leaks we get that would be easy to navigate.

Threads that you guys could moderate, but other members could contribute to so you wouldn't have to search everywhere else for the info and could delete the irrelevant stuff.
    I like the thinking. And ideas. But question, doesn't this mean that when someone makes their own thread re the os being leaked, Elsewhere or anywhere, that it would have to be deleted ? As otherwise it would still end up a mess of threads again. No? Just thinking out loud again...

12-05-13 05:49 PM
    I like the thinking. And ideas. But question, doesn't this mean that when someone makes their own thread re the os being leaked, Elsewhere or anywhere, that it would have to be deleted ? As otherwise it would still end up a mess of threads again. No? Just thinking out loud again...

I suppose you're right about that. Either the other threads would have to be deleted, or as you guys provide most leaks your threads would need to show up somehow that promotes users to use those threads instead. If your threads were used most commonly and segregated into their own section, then maybe it wouldn't matter if there was clutter elsewhere.

Maybe replace/re-title the whole Leaked OS Sub-forum with "BerryLeaks Leaked OS Sub-forum", and within that, have a sub-forum for "Other Leak Related Discussion." That way you guys would have control over the first layer of the leaked OS Sub forum where most people would go for information on leaks, and then free reign could be given within the further sub forum for all other posts?
    12-05-13 06:10 PM
    I am fairly certian WU WEI has mod powers in the leaked/Beta OS forums and can cleanup the threads but basically the mod team is pretty hands off. If any of you have been here since the storm days you know how the threads are. I dont like a bunch of people from saying "downloading now" and all that crap either but its also hard to stop it all.

I used to read thru all the leak threads and the "findings and fixes" threads even the ones that were 1000+ posts and it was generally a good time. The bottom line is whoever creates the thread needs to take the duty on and keep the OP up to date with everything that is found and all the bugs too. That way its all in the first post. Its hard to do because like i said you have to read thru the junk too. Ive done it many times. The BL team does a good job IMO of doing this even before we get the leak and I commend them on it.

People need to learn to read the stickies and instructions better as there are alot of noobs who keep asking questions over and over even when the answers are there. That is not going to change though really but I can hope lol

Anyway maybe we give some of the BL members the mod powers needed for that section. We will see
    12-05-13 06:29 PM
    Those threads can get out of hand very quickly, Wu would need 4 hands and multiple computers.... Just kiddin, I think that would be a good thing to run by him. I am sure he would take on the task, but with him no doubt having a life outside the forums it may not get the attention it needs on a fairly consistent basis.

Before you ask, I have to decline the position of MOD. I almost said that with a straight face.......

A couple of the BL team should have that task if they are up to it.
    12-05-13 07:13 PM
    As a long time user and tester (more behind the scenes working with Mecca) I think it's a great idea and time to try something else.

There's a lot of good talent here, and we all contribute a lot of time and energy to making this work more effectively.
    12-05-13 07:26 PM
    I suppose you're right about that. Either the other threads would have to be deleted, or as you guys provide most leaks your threads would need to show up somehow that promotes users to use those threads instead. If your threads were used most commonly and segregated into their own section, then maybe it wouldn't matter if there was clutter elsewhere.

Maybe replace/re-title the whole Leaked OS Sub-forum with "BerryLeaks Leaked OS Sub-forum", and within that, have a sub-forum for "Other Leak Related Discussion." That way you guys would have control over the first layer of the leaked OS Sub forum where most people would go for information on leaks, and then free reign could be given within the further sub forum for all other posts?
    So. Let me get this straight. We would have a sub forum within a sub forum that is with in a sub forum that is free reign.

Hummm.... Yip. I like it. That should be burried deep enough down lmao. But I'm sure someone will find a backdoor to that sub forum. .

Hehe. Just playing with ya

12-05-13 07:35 PM
    So. Let me get this straight. We would have a sub forum within a sub forum that is with in a sub forum that is free reign.

Hummm.... Yip. I like it. That should be burried deep enough down lmao. But I'm sure someone will find a backdoor to that sub forum. .

Hehe. Just playing with ya

No, no, no. Completely wrong!
    We rename the Leaked OS subforum, which is in the top level forum, to be the BerryLeaks Leaked OS Forum and then inside that subforum burry the less critical subforum. That way it's only two levels deep. A subforum within a subforum....subforum lol

Posted via CB10
    Wigley458 likes this.
    12-05-13 07:45 PM
    No, no, no. Completely wrong!
    We rename the Leaked OS subforum, which is in the top level forum, to be the BerryLeaks Leaked OS Forum and then inside that subforum burry the less critical subforum. That way it's only two levels deep. A subforum within a subforum....subforum lol

Posted via CB10
    Hehe. That's funny. But I get ur point

12-05-13 11:34 PM
    This will be interesting. While it would be nice to have more moderation on the leaks thread, it will be very time - consuming. Then you will have "well you deleted mine, why didn't you delete his comments/threads" comments/complaints popping up. Not discounting it at all, but, it will be interesting.
    12-08-13 08:56 PM
    As always with any forum, the adage "Be careful what you wish for" comes to mind.

Over moderation is just as bad as not enough. Moderators can often become overzealous on any board, and anyone calling for more moderation can easily become caught up in the net when they do.

From what I've seen here, the Mods don't often really look into threads good enough before dropping the warning or ban hammer. I know that I myself received a warning when a mod decided I was on a particular "side" of a debate going on, and I wasn't on either side.

Visit Geek Lite
    12-08-13 10:25 PM
    As always with any forum, the adage "Be careful what you wish for" comes to mind.

Over moderation is just as bad as not enough. Moderators can often become overzealous on any board, and anyone calling for more moderation can easily become caught up in the net when they do.

From what I've seen here, the Mods don't often really look into threads good enough before dropping the warning or ban hammer. I know that I myself received a warning when a mod decided I was on a particular "side" of a debate going on, and I wasn't on either side.

Visit Geek Lite
    Like I said a few times, I think the moderation level for the forum over all is really great. I'd just like to see a subsection where more technical matters are discussed with greater moderation so the technical matters can be focused on instead of squables etc. Sometimes it would just be a lot easier to find help if a thread was 2000 posts shorter and remained on topic.
    12-09-13 01:34 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD