View Poll Results: Would you be in favour of having a sub forum with more strictly moderated technical threads?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - No filler, just what matters

22 88.00%
  • No - All the filler, I like searching 80+ pages for info

3 12.00%
    Dear CBerry and Forum Moderators,

I am an avid reader off these forums, and a contributor at times too. I have been around for years, and had a thought about how we could make the forum a little more useful. I was wondering if it would be possible to have a series of threads with additional moderators composed of trusted community members. These threads would be topic specific, like Berryleaks Leaked OS Info threads, Sachesi App Info threads etc. Is it possible to either have a sub forum where these new mods would only be able to delete comments posted under threads within the sub forum or even just have threads that these mods can only moderate under?

My main issue has been of late trying to sort through all the information surrounding new leaks. Some posters have started great threads with tutorials, change logs, known issues, and known solutions. That's awesome, but once you enter the threads things quickly go downhill with people asking the same question 20 times, people complaining about this, forum members fighting, trolls trolling, and literally hundreds of posts just going nowhere with no information.

It certainly can be a pain to read through 30+ pages to find the information you want, so what I would suggest is allowing a group of thread moderators decide if the comments are on topic or not and delete useless comments and redundant questions while updating first page posts with new information.

I see this being beneficial for certain topics only, and it allows people to ask their questions still but would help remove the thousands of needless comments on certain topics.

Example:
    BerryLeaks Presents 10.2.1.1234
    Post #1
    Berryleaks Presents 10.2.1.1234

Usual warnings

Changelog as follows....

Known issues....

1. Camera won't start.
    2. Speaker Pops on start up.
    3. Volume Toggle not working.
    4. Etc...
    5. Proximity sensor not responding {Comment #10}
    6. Media Card fails to format {Comment #14}

Known solutions...

1. Camera won't start.
    ->Load Camera Bar from 10.2.1.1055 [link to file]

2. Speaker Pops on start up.
    ->No known solution.

3. Volume Toggle not working.
    ->Load official OS 10.2.0.xxxx [link to file]. Run security wipe. Reload Leaked OS 10.2.1.1234 [link to file]. Do not security wipe. {Comment #16}

4. Etc...

5. Proximity Sensor not responding.
    ->no known solution.

6. Media card fails to format.
    ->Download SD file system format software [link to software] to your pc. Format media card and then reload with media. {Comment #23}

Download links

STA [link]
    STL [link]
    Etc...

Post #2
    Reserved for additional info

Post #10
    My proximity sensor doesn't turn off the screen when I'm on a call. This seems to be a new bug

Post #14
    I can't format my media card, I keep getting an error that says...

Post #23
    Hey I was having trouble with a corrupt SD card and my Z10 couldn't format it like in {comment #14}. I found that if I used this software on my computer it worked again...

Post #27
    haha stupid blackberry won't blah blah blah
    This is why BlackBerry is dead har har har
    Heys r why is battery life what like? (after 20 seconds of the leak being posted)
    Repeated question.
    Hating repeated question.
    Repeated question guy insulting other guy.
    20 pages of arguments, apologies, thanks, people commenting on the argument and everything other than relevant info

I would love to see stuff like Post #27 crap get deleted and the relevant stuff left on certain technical threads.

I'd be happy to have BerryLeaks moderate their own threads and delete all the useless crap that pops up, and have credit given to useful posters by sourcing their post number and maybe their names in brackets on the first page posts. It would be important to update the first page posts regularly with new info and delete useless posts asap.

This would also help address the recent debates on whether we make useful beta testers or not. If we had a subforum like this we could actually present our findings in an organized manor that's very easy to sift through. Maybe just a sub forum called "CrackBerry Unofficial Beta Testers" that has very strict posting rules and no off topic gibberish everywhere. It would be helpful to those of us looking for information without getting 90 pages of off topic filler, and if BlackBerry does watch the forums it would be much better for them too. Since some of the BB10 leaks we get are really recent to when they have them internally this could be a decent way to help out.

Is this doable?
    12-05-13 05:44 AM
    Should be doable and great Idea *grabs popcorn *

Posted via CB10
    PlayBookUserMT and bradu1 like this.
    12-05-13 05:48 AM
    OMG, yes please!!!!!
    PlayBookUserMT and Mecca EL like this.
    12-05-13 05:52 AM
    Well, the mods should be deleting crap posts as it is. If someone responds "bb crappy os, blah blah blah", then the chances of them having anything useful in the post is nil, the entire post needs to be deleted as if it were never posted.

Everyone may be entitled to an opinion, but as this is a private forum operated and maintained by a corporate entity the freedom of expression is not something that to be expected.
    bradu1 likes this.
    12-05-13 06:58 AM
    Didn't we already do this thread? Erm, day before yesterday I think.

� grabs some of Warlack's popcorn...

JBB
    12-05-13 07:15 AM
    Didn't we already do this thread? Erm, day before yesterday I think.

• grabs some of Warlack's popcorn...

JBB
    Just imagine how nice it would be to read a thread without seeing "better android than android" spammed about 2 dozen times!

Pass the popcorn.
    12-05-13 07:19 AM
    I basically stay out of the Leaks threads because of all the fighting among certain past and present members and the community at large. Too much drama even for me.

I go in, grab the leak, and pray that it's OK OR ask some friends what the issues are.

I do love the Beta Testers sub forum idea.

*****distracts the boys and runs away with the popcorn*****

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    12-05-13 07:26 AM
    Great idea. I was trying to get some information a couple of days ago and it was a pain going through some of the threads. I normally avoid the really long threads or stop reading once it gets ridiculous.

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    12-05-13 07:30 AM
    I basically stay out of the Leaks threads because of all the fighting among certain past and present members and the community at large. Too much drama even for me.

I go in, grab the leak, and pray that it's OK OR ask some friends what the issues are.

Hmmmm! I'm wondering about the distraction! ;-)

Never, but Never, Question the Engineers Judgment!
    BerryWizard, JeepBB and Toodeurep like this.
    12-05-13 08:26 AM
    I should clarify that I think, as it stands, our Mod team does a great job. They're a small group and there are thousands upon thousands of new posts daily. There's no way that they'll delete every little post that's off topic, or a repeated question because someone didn't want to read through a whole thread/they don't know how to use the forum's search function. I'm also glad that they don't delete everything as it would have too many members feeling that they're over controlling and would probably hurt the community overall if they cracked down too much. I'm sure they know this and it's why they aren't overbearing.

I like the current level of moderation for the forum overall, but really think we would benefit from a small subsection that follows more extreme rules to provide relevant information without all the fluff. Leak posts particularly end up having 500+ comments with a whole lot of nonsense that dilutes their usefulness.

Oh, and like always I'd be glad to hear other members ideas and suggestions on implementing such a forum area.

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 and toobs623 like this.
    12-05-13 11:24 AM
    Just imagine how nice it would be to read a thread without seeing "better android than android" spammed about 2 dozen times!

Pass the popcorn.
    Yea- but the "better android than android" spam comments are never deleted.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 11:38 AM
    Sound great for the leak/technical treads.... agree that those get way OT at times. I do appreciate why the LEAKS TEAM gives us a rundown of problems they have come across.

So how much do the mods get paid for the additional time to keep up with these treads? Any of them volunteering for some extra duty?

Maybe an "unliked" button would work, get 10 "unlikes" and your post is gone..... oh wait, maybe I wouldn't like that.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    12-05-13 11:51 AM
    I will run it up the chain to get some input
    12-05-13 12:14 PM
    Hmmmm! I'm wondering about the distraction! ;-)

Never, but Never, Question the Engineers Judgment!
    Maybe we were thinking the same thing...
    12-05-13 12:40 PM
    Isn't the problem that there are not enough mods as it is?

Posted via CB10
    toobs623 likes this.
    12-05-13 01:16 PM
    Hmmm. Interesting thots and would be nice to clean things up better than they are now. It's a frustration we as a team have always had.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.xxxx member/co-founder Berryleaks. From CB10. My channel C000B3B57. Team channel C00032537
    LillyFox and PlayBookUserMT like this.
    12-05-13 01:33 PM
    It's extremely hard to police a leak thread! Options have been juggled, including having a Closed leak thread and some supplement threads that revolve around that particular leaked thread.

I love this idea.
    12-05-13 02:07 PM
    I certainly like the Idea of a more purely tech and informative process. I believe many beginners would benefit from this. There are always great bits of info getting buried in our threads , many CB posters improve and help the leak process as well as those still learning.. would love to see such a positive community effort.

Lilly's hand stitched Frankensteined Z30 powered by 10.2.1.xxxx
    PlayBookUserMT and Mecca EL like this.
    12-05-13 02:10 PM

Exactly this. Now, Q you better share that popcorn with me
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-05-13 02:33 PM
    I said YES

Posted Via my Q10
    12-05-13 02:36 PM
    Exactly this. Now, Q you better share that popcorn with me
    You bet, love.

You like Tabasco on it????

12-05-13 02:40 PM
    You bet, love.

You like Tabasco on it????

I like anything spicy
    Blacklatino and Mecca EL like this.
    12-05-13 02:47 PM
    I like anything spicy
    12-05-13 02:53 PM
    I like anything spicy
    Hehehehe you just made the boys salivate.

Blacklatino and Mecca EL like this.
    12-05-13 03:36 PM
    All joking aside, I think it's not a bad idea, but I'm not sure about giving moderator abilities to people who haven't been properly "screened" (for lack of a better term). I think there would be better ways to achieve it than to grant specific members "mini moderator" abilities. I think that could be too easily abused, even in an isolated location on the forums.

Consider this: rather than creating an area where these members can arbitrarily delete posts, how about we create an area where no post is made visible until someone approves it. It could be structured more like a Q&A. The leaks team (or anyone approved to post in the area) could create their thread, then users looking for support could post their questions which will await moderation by the team. They can then refrain from answering the same question over and over again.

Another alternative, how about restricted sticky threads where only certain privileged members can post. The instructions can be posted there, and another thread can be opened for questions. Answers can then be pulled from the question thread and posted in the sticky thread to provide a clean, easy to read layout.
    Wigley458 likes this.
    12-05-13 03:45 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD