Recently I was reading about IBM's recent stock troubles and the transition the company is undergoing. Their transition being a focus on mobility, cloud services and security for enterprise.

It makes me think back to the time before John Chen , before the start of BlackBerry's transition to its current focus when IBM was interested in BlackBerry's enterprise server business only. This was certainly a missed opportunity for IBM and quite frankly while I rather have BlackBerry as a standalone entity it would certainly make business sense for IBM to now consider a complete acquisition for all of BlackBerry.

The focus on enterprise security, mobile device management, server and a core group of mobile devices that are aimed at businesses as well as specific markets such as healthcare makes for an excellent match to IBM's new business focus. Also regulatory and security concerns would be much easier to clear with IBM being the acquiring company.

Quite frankly, a part of me would like to see something like this and see Big Blue play somewhat in the hardware arena even if it is on a small, focused space such as enterprise. Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 04:07 PM
    Proof of Concept....

BlackBerry and Microsoft have proven how hard it is to compete when you have fallen so far behind. IBM would have just as difficult a time with BlackBerry hardware as BlackBerry is having. And IBM understands that the Android Runtime is just a short term patch on the problem... Google Controls Android, and maybe it's open to all today.... that doesn't mean that in two years you'll be running an Android App on anything but an Alliance Approved device.

Now BES, Networks, Patients and other technologies.... you would think there would be some interest there. But many kick the tires last year and took a look during the BlackBerry "open house", but maybe there isn't as much value there as some want to believe.
    12-09-14 04:22 PM
    Proof of Concept....

BlackBerry and Microsoft have proven how hard it is to compete when you have fallen so far behind. IBM would have just as difficult a time with BlackBerry hardware as BlackBerry is having. And IBM understands that the Android Runtime is just a short term patch on the problem... Google Controls Android, and maybe it's open to all today.... that doesn't mean that in two years you'll be running an Android App on anything but an Alliance Approved device.

Now BES, Networks, Patients and other technologies.... you would think there would be some interest there. But many kick the tires last year and took a look during the BlackBerry "open house", but maybe there isn't as much value there as some want to believe.
    As much value as in WhatsApp for $16b? ;-)

Maybe even they see that an independent / stock market listed BBRY is better for the world of mobility overall...

? ? ? Zzzzwipetypetapped from The Maskport - Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    12-09-14 04:45 PM
    I don't know much about how IBM works or which market their currently after but i did think those two companies could have been a good fit together. IBM did leave the consumer market a while ago much to my disappointment as I really liked a PC with IBM on it. They seem to be only hanging on to their mainframes and have abandoned everything else as far as hardware goes.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 06:36 PM
    IBM is too big and stupid for their own good.

They sold off their PC and phone divisions. There is no reason for BlackBerry to partner with them, when there are much better partners in the business world to be had.
    12-10-14 12:01 PM
    IBM does actually have a strategic relationship with BlackBerry. They provide some cloud hosting for them in Europe and have BES10 internally. That said, they partnered with Apple in the health market as that's where the market is. Like all big companies, they go where the money is.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 03:03 PM
    No.

If you like BlackBerry's products, IBM would be one of the last companies you'd want to acquire BlackBerry. If you want BlackBerry dead, then yeah, an IBM acquisition makes sense.
    12-10-14 09:08 PM