IBM is still a monster tech company that has led the US in Patents filing and patents awarded every year for almost a quarter century. Their annual R&D budget is close to $6B US. They are a leader in many of the most important areas for innovation that will drive the next 20 years, from Artificial Intelligence to nano technology technology to quantum computing.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ud-watson-push

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer and techvisor like this.
    08-11-16 10:24 PM
    Just received the email now, that as of November 18th, IBM will no longer support BB devices (that goes for BB10 too)

This comes to me with the news that BB is putting Blend to EOL. Talk to me about how BlackBerry is still supporting BB10!

Sad. Just..............................sad
    "Goes for BB10 too" ? So you mean also the Android devices simply because they are BlackBerry won't be supported?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-11-16 10:28 PM
    IBM is still a monster tech company that has led the US in Patents filing and patents awarded every year for almost a quarter century. Their annual R&D budget is close to $6B US. They are a leader in many of the most important areas for innovation that will drive the next 20 years, from Artificial Intelligence to nano technology technology to quantum computing.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ud-watson-push

Posted via CB10
    Don't be fooled by the numbers. To bolster their stats IBM bought a lot of those patents. They either bought them or bought the companies that owned the patent.

I'm not disputing that they're a technological giant. But not don't let all the PR cloud the reality of their patents.

Channel for Asian eye candy
    08-11-16 10:29 PM
    Meh - Blackberry have been dropping support for Blackberry since Chairman Chen arrived.
    08-12-16 02:05 AM
    What is the relation between IBM and BlackBerry ?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-16 02:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for asking. Maybe it's about the big companies but I don't know of anything IBM on my Z10.
    But nevertheless dropping Blend was a huge step by BB I think. Now it's more than obvious they're giving up on OS10. Not like when they ended the FB app - which btw still works as before - claiming it's because FB wants it like that. This time they simply pulled the plug. And no excuses about anything.
    08-12-16 02:32 AM

In IBM's case, Airwatch is IBM's equivalent to BES
    Wrong, Maas360 is the IBM equivalent and support is not dropped because of competitive reasons.
    08-12-16 04:05 AM
    You and I must've read that comment completely differently, because nowhere in that comment did he say that they held a monopoly. He didn't even use that word.
    That's what was implied. Microsoft also have products used by Fortune 1000, government, hospitals. Does that means Microsoft 'runs' or 'powers' the government, the Fortune 1000 or hospitals?
    08-12-16 05:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    One is a successful, boring company and the other is an unsuccessful, boring company.
    08-12-16 05:07 AM
    That's what was implied. Microsoft also have products used by Fortune 1000, government, hospitals. Does that means Microsoft 'runs' or 'powers' the government, the Fortune 1000 or hospitals?
    Read his comment again, and maybe once more. He neither stated nor implied that IBM has a monopoly on anything. I'm not sure where you got that.
    08-12-16 05:35 AM
    Read his comment again, and maybe once more. He neither stated nor implied that IBM has a monopoly on anything. I'm not sure where you got that.
    Are you one of those who reads literally or who reads between the lines (which is, interpreting the spirit and the meaning behind what is written)?
    08-12-16 06:01 AM
    "Goes for BB10 too" ? So you mean also the Android devices simply because they are BlackBerry won't be supported?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I would assume it meant BBOS too.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-16 06:17 AM
    Are you one of those who reads literally or who reads between the lines (which is, interpreting the spirit and the meaning behind what is written)?
    I read what he wrote, and nothing he wrote either stated or implied that IBM held a monopoly over anything. If I say, for example, that rain is wet, there's nothing in that sentence that should, could, or would lead anyone to think that I mean to say anything other than, rain is wet. He didn't say that IBM held a monopoly over anything, which leads to my continued confusion as to why you think he said or even meant to say that IBM holds a monopoly over anything.
    08-12-16 06:25 AM
    I read what he wrote, and nothing he wrote either stated or implied that IBM held a monopoly over anything. If I say, for example, that rain is wet, there's nothing in that sentence that should, could, or would lead anyone to think that I mean to say anything other than, rain is wet. He didn't say that IBM held a monopoly over anything, which leads to my continued confusion as to why you think he said or even meant to say that IBM holds a monopoly over anything.
    Dude.... he just wants to read stuff into it... no point in arguing.

P.S.
    I read between the line that IBM makes the employees of other companies run....like in sports. Just saying

Posted via CB10
    MikeX74 and johnny_bravo72 like this.
    08-12-16 10:36 AM
    BB10 is the best to me than anything else. If no more BB10 are going to be made, I will use my two Passport SE till they die, and after that , Bye Bye BlackBerry!

  
    08-12-16 12:02 PM
    Ummmmmm .... you're equating IBM's actions with Blackberry not supporting BB10.

They're two separate companies ...
    08-12-16 12:02 PM
    One is a successful, boring company and the other is an unsuccessful, boring company.
    Never thought BlackBerry was "boring". Full PKB or no-button all swipe-- both different from all the rest. Their fumbling as a company is even fascinating and gets tons of attention
    BB, Still the One
    last_attempt likes this.
    08-12-16 01:27 PM
    Dude.... he just wants to read stuff into it... no point in arguing.

P.S.
    I read between the line that IBM makes the employees of other companies run....like in sports. Just saying

Posted via CB10
    LOL!!
    08-12-16 02:20 PM
    I certainly did not imply that IBM has a monopoly on building one-of-a-kind, mission-critical systems for governments, banks, and other large, complex enterprises. There is healthy competition in that market!

I merely responded to the juvenile comment that IBM was "boring" by saying that, if you call inventing more new technology than any other company on the planet, and building many of the systems that literally make the world run, "boring," then IBM is boring.

Also, there is a huge difference between "off the shelf" software like Microsoft sells "being used by" an organization and custom-designed, one-of-a-kind mission-critical systems that form the backbone of the world's largest and most complex organizations. Certainly, Microsoft is an incredibly important software provider, and their software DOES play a major role in almost every large Enterprise in the world, but it's typically used as building blocks and interfaces for the kinds of systems I'm talking about.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-16 06:53 PM
    Don't be fooled by the numbers. To bolster their stats IBM bought a lot of those patents. They either bought them or bought the companies that owned the patent.

I'm not disputing that they're a technological giant. But not don't let all the PR cloud the reality of their patents.

All large companies buy startups. That's the nature of technology. Everyone is always making a "build or buy" decision about the technology they need to stay competitive. But if your point is that IBM buys more patentable technology than any other company, I would say that is also a sign of innovation, as they are seeing more potential in those companies than others do.

IBM is a VERY active investor in academic research and new technology startups. In many cases they provide support and advice to academic engineers and scientists to help them launch their businesses, then buy them if they see enough potential. That's where a lot of their $6B R&D budget goes. They learned long ago that there is no way to have a monopoly on new ideas. It's better to support, encourage, and buy them.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-16 07:10 PM
    All large companies buy startups. That's the nature of technology. Everyone is always making a "build or buy" decision about the technology they need to stay competitive. But if your point is that IBM buys more patentable technology than any other company, I would say that is also a sign of innovation, as they are seeing more potential in those companies than others do.

IBM is a VERY active investor in academic research and new technology startups. In many cases they provide support and advice to academic engineers and scientists to help them launch their businesses, then buy them if they see enough potential. That's where a lot of their $6B R&D budget goes. They learned long ago that there is no way to have a monopoly on new ideas. It's better to support, encourage, and buy them.

Posted via CB10
    My point was a lot of IBM's chest thumping about patents isn't something to really brag about. They're just buying the patents. It's not something they came up with.

I wouldn't really call that innovation as patent trolls buy up patents and then sue others hoping to make $$ from whatever patents they went and bought. They're not innovating anything when they do that.

Yes, IBM does a lot of research and such but don't just go by the sheer numbers. Look at the in depth and you'll see the true story behind the numbers.

08-12-16 11:56 PM
    My point was a lot of IBM's chest thumping about patents isn't something to really brag about. They're just buying the patents. It's not something they came up with.

I wouldn't really call that innovation as patent trolls buy up patents and then sue others hoping to make $$ from whatever patents they went and bought. They're not innovating anything when they do that.

Yes, IBM does a lot of research and such but don't just go by the sheer numbers. Look at the in depth and you'll see the true story behind the numbers.

Inside IBM's patent-creation machine - Business Insider

Here's a second link detailing some ways IBM pumps out the patents. Do you have a link to provide support for your assertion?
    08-13-16 12:15 AM

I understand, but patents they buy outright would not be included in the numbers of patents AWARDED, which they have led for 23 years straight. Those are patents that they filed themselves.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 01:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    Means that soon they are no longer BES customer. I'm posting this because I'm an IBM employee and having work account on my BB was very helpful.
    08-13-16 09:01 AM
    Wrong, Maas360 is the IBM equivalent and support is not dropped because of competitive reasons.
    Well that's odd.

I worked for a major bank that went from BES to Good to Airwatch, which was supplied and supported by IBM.

Maybe it was all a dream.......
    08-13-16 03:41 PM
72 123