Notice that their social apps (FB, Twitter, etc, even BB App World is accessible via WIFI as you can download app without SIM card) are accessible via WIFI without using valid SIM card (or just don't use sim card at all), but their BBM still requires valid sim card to function properly.

Since they already make BBM available via WIFI and without going through BIS on Z10, I wonder if they have plans to do that on BBM running on older OS as well (7, 6, 5).

It would definitely help RIM in selling their older stock handsets more as people are hooked on BBM, so if they make BBM only via BIS, then it discourage buyers to buy older stock of BB phones since consumers have to get plans. Like Z10, their aim is to sell as many HW as possible, so it's a good strategy. I wish that they do the same on their old OS.
    03-12-13 07:34 PM
    Making BBM wifi only isn't a smart idea. A lot of people use BBM in the place of texting, and people don't only text when they are at home in a wifi zone. And I don't think that BlackBerry wants to focus on selling older handsets. Phasers are set to BB10!
    03-12-13 07:37 PM
    That would be like throwing away $$$ not gonna happen.

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    03-12-13 07:41 PM
    if it's like throwing away $$, why would RIM do it on their Z10 onward? BBM available via wifi without valid sim card on Z10 is possible.

Their aim is to sell as many BB phones as possible, and having to pay monthly fee (BIS plan) to use BBM is going to block that, compare to Z10. As Z10 is still at premium, the entry point of BB phones is only through their old phones. If they can hook users with BBM, then they are more incline to upgrade BB when Z10 is cheaper.

Look at other smart phones Win8, Android, and iOS, there is no need to use data plan to be able to use the phone fully. Old BB phones can not function properly without BIS plan. It's double dipping for RIM, which has to stop.

I believe RIM still have many old stock of old BB phones as they say they are still supporting old BB in emerging markets.
    hzguo likes this.
    03-12-13 07:42 PM
    @gameson
    Because they're creating 2 market groups.
    Those who buy expensive BlackBerry 10s will get BBM free. Those buying cheaper BBOS have to pay for BBM on a monthly plan.

They are basically trying to make the same amount of money by giving people options.
    Kind of like how you can either buy a phone outright with no contract, or you can get a cheaper phone on a 3 year contract.
    03-12-13 08:01 PM
    They only make money on the old BlackBerry smartphones through BIS fees, give people what they want without BIS, BlackBerry will lose more money faster.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 09:41 PM
    Anyone who said RIM instead of blackberry on this thread should give me $5 ok?
    03-12-13 09:45 PM
    Anyone who said RIM instead of blackberry on this thread should give me $5 ok?
    Totally agree, same with " BlackBerry formerly RIM", it has been two months, I think we are good.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 10:02 PM
    Actually alot of people in the Caribbean is getting to use bbm over wifi without a bis or bes plan since launch of bb10,im thinking its some kind of glitch as they are getting their network ready

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 10:24 PM
    I wish RIM makes their BBM available via WIFI only, not via BIS on older BB-i-find-humerus.jpg
    10 characters
    03-12-13 11:16 PM