the MediaNet plan is $15 less, and I can actually use the savings.

so, question... What will my Curve NOT be able to do???

(and yes, u can get the MediaNET on ur plan if they dont know ur using a Blackberry ).

Just wanna see what I'm gonna be limited to. Thanks
    11-06-08 11:45 PM
    Even without knowing the details of MediaNet I suppose this is simply a service that offers TCP/IP GRPS data connections to your mobile phone.

The most important feature you will be missing is the BlackBerry push functionality, getting emails sent to your mobile phone at the moment they come into your inbox.

You can still read emails on your BB - Google and Yahoo offer BlackBerry apps that allow to read eMail on the BB, but of course without push. The problem might be how to get these applications on your BlackBerry - without a native BlackBerry data connection (BIS) you would need to use your PC or use your BlackbErry with SIM card of someone with full BB connectivity, then you can downloads apps over the air.

Another important issue is that your native BlackBerry browser won't work - so installing new software will be in general a little bit more work (you have to use your desktop manager software).

Some applications might not be able to work without a BB BIS connection, some might be able to use your GPRS connection.

Hope that helps....
    11-07-08 12:30 AM
    This is a duplicate thread. You do not need to post the same thread in multiple forums.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f68/wan...ot-have-91285/

Plus you were given the answer in AT&T forum that you didn't like.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-08 12:38 AM
    This is a duplicate thread. You do not need to post the same thread in multiple forums.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f68/wan...ot-have-91285/

Plus you were given the answer in AT&T forum that you didn't like.

if u noticed, this was made first.... i made the 2nd bc i thought it was in the wrong section. i cant delete my own threads like other forums (if i can, cant find the action). so i left it. read the timestamp before you assume.
    11-07-08 12:55 AM
    Even without knowing the details of MediaNet I suppose this is simply a service that offers TCP/IP GRPS data connections to your mobile phone.

The most important feature you will be missing is the BlackBerry push functionality, getting emails sent to your mobile phone at the moment they come into your inbox.

You can still read emails on your BB - Google and Yahoo offer BlackBerry apps that allow to read eMail on the BB, but of course without push. The problem might be how to get these applications on your BlackBerry - without a native BlackBerry data connection (BIS) you would need to use your PC or use your BlackbErry with SIM card of someone with full BB connectivity, then you can downloads apps over the air.

Another important issue is that your native BlackBerry browser won't work - so installing new software will be in general a little bit more work (you have to use your desktop manager software).

Some applications might not be able to work without a BB BIS connection, some might be able to use your GPRS connection.

Hope that helps....

so to use the internet feature (facebook application, websites and such) I would need to download a generic browser, such as Opera or Mozilla?
    11-07-08 12:56 AM
    so, question... What will my Curve NOT be able to do???
    It will not be able to be a BlackBerry

so to use the internet feature (facebook application, websites and such) I would need to download a generic browser, such as Opera or Mozilla?
    your internet access will be limited to only what does not need access to RIM's server. as you said, you will need to use a browser such as Opera for web browsing since you will not be able to use the stock browser. The Facebook application will not be able to be used since what the Facebook application actually does is intercept the e-mail notifications that come in to your standard inbox and then pulls them in and converts them within the application. And since you won't have a BB plan, you won't have push e-mail using the default client so the Facebook application will be pretty much useless.
    11-07-08 01:11 AM
    if u noticed, this was made first.... i made the 2nd bc i thought it was in the wrong section. read the timestamp before you assume.
    Wrong.

Want to use MediaNET instead of BB plan. WHAT WILL I NOT HAVE??? by Texter 11:11 PM - 1st thread

I want to use MediaNET instead of BB plan. WHAT WILL I NOT HAVE??? by Texter 11:45 PM - this thread

11-07-08 01:28 AM
    if u noticed, this was made first....
    Are you sure about that bub? the other one says "12:11am" and this one says "12:45am." That means this one was posted 34 minutes later.

Check your attitude, and take your own advice, check the timestamp more carefully.
    11-07-08 01:30 AM
    Actually, with the standard Media Net internet service on your curve, you can use the bb browser. How do I know? I happen to have the regular Media Net service on my curve. I don't really need the push email since I don't email a whole lot. I know BB is suppose to be for the whole push email experience, but don't really need it . I can do everything else just fine (use the bb browser, d/l OTA apps, use google maps, etc.) Works perfect for me no complaints.

11-07-08 04:54 AM
    I guess the only thing you would be missing out on is the push email and facebook app.
    Another than that, go for the MediaNet service! $15 cheaper, can't argue with that haha .

Hope I helped!

11-07-08 04:57 AM
    installing software is no problem without a BB plan...

and yes, you CAN use the Facebook app with no BB plan.

I have prepaid with a regular data plan (bb data plans aren't available)
    the only things I absolutely can't use are:

1.the instant messengers downloaded directly from blackberry.com (although some say they're carrier-locked, so maybe that's why)

2. push email

3. TeleNav

4. not sure about BB messenger, some say you can't use it, but personally I've never tried.

and that's it. the rest are totally usable.
    11-07-08 06:28 AM
    Are you sure about that bub? the other one says "12:11am" and this one says "12:45am." That means this one was posted 34 minutes later.

Check your attitude, and take your own advice, check the timestamp more carefully.
    1, im not ur fkn bub. 2, my mistake, thought it was the other thread.

and 3, i like my attitude. deal with it or get out of my thread.
    11-07-08 09:52 AM
    installing software is no problem without a BB plan...

I have prepaid with a regular data plan (bb data plans aren't available)
    the only things I absolutely can't use are:

1.the instant messengers downloaded directly from blackberry.com (although some say they're carrier-locked, so maybe that's why)

2. push email

3. TeleNav

4. not sure about BB messenger, some say you can't use it, but personally I've never tried.

and that's it. the rest are totally usable.

what do u mean installing software is no problem w/out a BB.com plan?? (example?)

are u SURE the Facebook application/other applications could be used???

I hope so, because i'd just get the MediaNET. because.....

1) i DONT use BBM. 2) I DONT use email.

sounds pretty legit
    11-07-08 09:53 AM
    1, im not ur fkn bub. 2, my mistake, thought it was the other thread.

and 3, i like my attitude. deal with it or get out of my thread.

Why don't you two go get a room. I do have to agree with Texter. Stop being a posting Nazi.
    11-07-08 10:25 AM
    so you're telling me that you get get the notifications pushed to the Facebook app without having push e-mail through the native e-mail client? I don't see how that's possible at all. However, if you are referring to being able to change certain things like your status and stuff, then that rocks. But without full functionality, I don't consider it truly able to be "used".
    11-07-08 11:11 AM
    Dang, I was wondering this same thing
    11-07-08 12:07 PM
    Ok ok so things that are unusable with MediaNet service:

BB messenger
    Push email
    Facebook App

And lastly, I noticed that you'll be stuck on "edge" network. You can't go to EDGE cause I believe being on EDGE just means that your connected to BIS.

For me, I have no prob at all with Media Net service on BB. I don't use any of the apps listed above

11-07-08 12:11 PM
    Ok ok so things that are unusable with MediaNet service:

BB messenger
    Push email
    Facebook App

And lastly, I noticed that you'll be stuck on "edge" network. You can't go to EDGE cause I believe being on EDGE just means that your connected to BIS.

For me, I have no prob at all with Media Net service on BB. I don't use any of the apps listed above

i think it was established that u CAN use the Facebook app.

dammit, download it and try it for us!
    11-07-08 01:42 PM
    Yes, you can use facebook... I made it to where I receive a sms anytime there's activity. There's always a way around features you can't use.

11-07-08 04:30 PM
    Umm, edge and EDGE are the same thing right?

Well either way it doesn't matter, it works just fine... Edge has been around for a long tome and not just for BBs

11-07-08 04:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD