Except they put the company up for sale AFTER BB10 proved to be an unmitigated disaster.
    I don't think so. Granted I wasn't in the board room. But I think it was more of a new jerk reaction to not selling 10 million hand sets which I think they thought would happen. But I don't think bb10 was the disaster that you speak of. But they never gave it/couldn't afford to let it mature

#luvmybb10os
    11-04-16 01:17 PM
    Android 6.0 with enhanced BlackBerry security is a looooong way from Ice Cream Sandwich. The play surface has changed drastically over the last few years.
    ICS was junk. It was really awful! Now, I use a vanilla kit Kat 4.4 and it's alright. Basic stuff but it works. Not very snappy and sometimes stutters but I keep it bloat free and minimal Google apps and it hasn't crashed yet. The less apps one downloads, the less likely there will be a security issue, too.

For now, Bb10 runs smoothly. Android requires more coddling, even MM. One day, bb10 won't work well anymore without extensive coddling (browser woes, app store, etc), whereas maybe bb-android will be smooth as silk. That's the way it goes in the tech world. Maybe by android 10.3.3.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    11-04-16 01:45 PM
    Those "existing BB users" were steadily leaving BB10 themselves - that's why BB10 sales fell every quarter, far below sustainable levels, and with no sign of a turn-around. BB was losing $100+ dollars with every BB10 phone they sold, and that number was increasing as sales volumes continued to drop. Moving to Android wasn't really an attempt to "save the handset business" but rather to "push the end date out a little further" - which it accomplished. It also gives them something to license, since no other company was interested in BB10.
    The BB10 users were leaving because Chen made it clear that new BB10 phones would not be released and BB10 updates were not forthcoming.
    Most of them did not switch to an android BlackBerry.
    That tells you the reason. It was not BB10 and lack of some apps, it was Chen and his public appearances, pronouncements, and actions that convinced them that BB10 had no future and that BlackBerry was not to be trusted, even with an android phone.
    11-04-16 01:59 PM
    The BB10 users were leaving because Chen made it clear that new BB10 phones would not be released and BB10 updates were not forthcoming.
    Most of them did not switch to an android BlackBerry.
    That tells you the reason. It was not BB10 and lack of some apps, it was Chen and his public appearances, pronouncements, and actions that convinced them that BB10 had no future and that BlackBerry was not to be trusted, even with an android phone.
    BB10 devices released after Chen took over: Passport, Z3, Classic, Leap. Passport and Z3 were probably already in play from Heins, but Chen allowed them to continue and invested in the Classic. Leap was probably an extension of the Z3 deal with Foxconn. Chen did make a go at BB10, even modifying his goal so that hardware could continue far longer than economically feasible.

The lack of apps was already a problem when Chen arrived, thus one of his first objectives was to shore up apps with a deal with Amazon.

Again, BB10 already had adoption problems prior to Chen and it wasn't his undoing alone. /Anyone/ who's have been following BlackBerry would know this. To state otherwise would be ignoring the facts.
    JeepBB, DrBoomBotz and Zeratul57 like this.
    11-04-16 02:17 PM
229 ... 8910