Nor does Google put a value on the myriad of apps and services they provide you with. The end user decides what they are worth to him / her.
    Yep. That's why I don't use any Google services, not even search, and I don't miss anything.
    ssbtech likes this.
    10-30-16 11:47 PM
    ^But they still collect it, and make it hard for you to prevent that...

Delete Google Maps? Go ahead, says Google, we'll still track you ? The Register
    I never said Google doesn't collect your data. Your the one who made claims that Google 'sells your collected data' and that 'The issue is out of sight, out of mind. People don't directly see how their data is being used and abused .' yet, I proved with one link that proves none of your claims are true.

BlackBerry also collects your data. The difference is they failed do anything useful with it, as no body wants their products.

http://ca.blackberry.com/legal/priva...tml#types-info

So is data collection OK if BlackBerry does it?

Unlike BlackBerry, Google gives users control over their data. You can delete all your collected data when ever you want.

https://myaccount.google.com/privacy?pli=1

At this point, I trust Google more than BlackBerry with my privacy. What ever BlackBerry did with my data, it sure wasn't targeted ads, market research, or providing decent products.
    jimmy zamalot and cbvinh like this.
    10-30-16 11:48 PM
    The OPS question/statement makes it unimportant as it is so fundamental that - concerning any working OS - it can not be true.

A statement that there is absolutely 'NO' advantage switching to Android is quite different from saying 'Hey there are many advantages staying with bb10'.

CB10 on my Classic
    Maybe unimportant to you but that's your opinion and he stated his, I will read both.
    10-31-16 12:04 AM
    The brand name was already toxic in 2010. Young people would not want to be associated with it.
    The future decline was there for everyone with a bit of vision and understanding of high tech to see.
    Nothing they would have done would have mattered.
    The brand was tarnished and not cool.
    Even if they released an iphone it would not have sold, just like apps and Google Play failed for them later.
    What?
    yeah considering blackberry was at its biggest sales point in 2010 especially amongst youngsters, I'm going to have to say you're talking crap.

Edit: just saw you were referring to the US market which may have been the only place Blackberry were underperforming in 2010.
    Take back that talking crap comment
    10-31-16 12:15 AM
    Not in North America. In 2010, in North America, most people were switching to Iphones. BlackBerry was growing in Indonesia and Africa but slipping elsewhere, even as they were still growing in overall numbers.
    The writing was on the wall.
    North America may have been the only place they were failing. They were growing everywhere else.
    They only started to decline majorly around 2012.
    BB10 bombed them though
    10-31-16 12:19 AM
    Hadn't that no. Come down till 3 million? (including android handsets I believe)

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Thats without BB10 handsets :P
    10-31-16 12:22 AM
    They use your information to make money on ads. That means they make money on your data without telling you how much they make on it and without paying you royalties and without you having a say on how much your data is worth.
    So how much is your data worth?

I'll give you a hint - it's way less than you think.
    10-31-16 12:40 AM
    This is the best comment on the thread, because 1, it holds no factual statement, and because 2, it agrees with everyone, and 3, has enough commas to appear legitimate.
    10-31-16 04:46 AM
    So how much is your data worth?

I'll give you a hint - it's way less than you think.
    Well, it's worth a lot to me that I don't use android, or Google services.
    It's also worth quite a bit to Google, or else they wouldn't be so profitable, because they lose money on everything else but ads through search.

If you think that your data is worthless, all you have to do is to watch the US election reality TV of how the surveillance agencies play with Donald 's and Hillary's data and release it piecemeal when and as they see fit.
    Last edited by sorinv; 10-31-16 at 11:00 PM.
    10-31-16 08:50 PM
    Well, it's worth a lot to me that I don't use android, or Google services.
    It's also worth quite a bit to Google, or else they wouldn't be so profitable, because they lose money on everything else but ads through search.

If you think that your data is worthless, all you have to do is to watch the US election reality TV of how the surveillance agencies play with Donald 's and Hillary's data and release it piecemeal when and as they see fit.
    Your individual pieces of data isn't worth much, unless you have tons of money that could be stolen or you're a spend thrift. Google is profiting from advertising... to a /lot/ of people. It's the aggregation and scale that's profitable, not the individual pieces of data.

You have a right to privacy and to share whatever pieces of data to those of your choosing. It's a cost/benefit for each person. With Google services, you get many free applications that are useful, search, maps, navigation, translation, etc. and in exchange, they aggregate the data you use to sell advertising. You can certainly pay for those services or find alternatives. This very website provides its services, reviews, articles and community, for free, also in exchange for advertising to you. You made a choice that the pieces of info they request is a reasonable one... and perhaps also agree that it's okay for them to associate with Google, Facebook, etc, which know you're interested in BlackBerry because you visit here.
    cribble2k likes this.
    11-01-16 12:46 PM
    There is no benefit in going from BB OS10 to android. Anyone disagree?
    Disagree.

Good job with this post OP I find it very insightful. You should start more like these. Anyone disagree?
    11-01-16 12:51 PM
    Google makes more money off of effective advertising, and in order for advertising to be effective, there's lots of data collection going on.

Unfortunately we're all having to make use of these technologies with increasing frequency and opting-in is becoming less optional these days.
    11-01-16 12:52 PM
    Google makes more money off of effective advertising, and in order for advertising to be effective, there's lots of data collection going on.

Unfortunately we're all having to make use of these technologies with increasing frequency and opting-in is becoming less optional these days.
    And Google is a publicly traded company. Invest if you think the business model is a profitable one.
    11-01-16 01:26 PM
    And Google is a publicly traded company. Invest if you think the business model is a profitable one.
    What's that got to do with privacy?
    11-01-16 01:29 PM
    What's that got to do with privacy?
    Absolutely nothing. I was just thinking that beyond all the free apps and services we can also make a bundle with their stock.
    11-01-16 01:49 PM
    Your individual pieces of data isn't worth much, unless you have tons of money that could be stolen or you're a spend thrift. Google is profiting from advertising... to a /lot/ of people. It's the aggregation and scale that's profitable, not the individual pieces of data.

You have a right to privacy and to share whatever pieces of data to those of your choosing. It's a cost/benefit for each person. With Google services, you get many free applications that are useful, search, maps, navigation, translation, etc. and in exchange, they aggregate the data you use to sell advertising. You can certainly pay for those services or find alternatives. This very website provides its services, reviews, articles and community, for free, also in exchange for advertising to you. You made a choice that the pieces of info they request is a reasonable one... and perhaps also agree that it's okay for them to associate with Google, Facebook, etc, which know you're interested in BlackBerry because you visit here.
    Of course the information and its aggregation from everyone and everything on earth and in the universe matters.
    We live in the information society. This was predicted in the 1960's.
    Information is everything.

Google realized that earlier than others and is in a lead position to exploit it.
    Like any monopoly which is accountable only to its Board, it needs to be reined in.
    Google doesn't provide you with apps and free services because it wants to be a charity. Sergey Brin is not Mother Theresa and neither is Eric Schmidt.

Google does so because that's how they make the most money and collect the most info.

I pay for what I need and do not use their "free" services. None of those services are vital yet or could not be replaced by others.

As for the rest, I do my best to clean up the mess behind my Web activities.
    It's not bullet proof but it's been working out well so far.
    11-01-16 02:19 PM
    Absolutely nothing. I was just thinking that beyond all the free apps and services we can also make a bundle with their stock.
    Sure, you can also invest in nuclear weapons manufacturers and make money, or in blood diamonds. It's all based on what your priorities and ethics are... selling weapons to kill people or manipulating their thoughts while pretending to give them freebies and knowing that beggars can't be choosers.

I guess that Google are as smart as Trump because they know how to avoid paying taxes in the countries whose screens they display ads on and whose data they collect.
    11-01-16 02:22 PM
    Sure, you can also invest in nuclear weapons manufacturers and make money, or in blood diamonds.
    Good grief.
    11-01-16 02:38 PM
    Sure, you can also invest in nuclear weapons manufacturers and make money, or in blood diamonds. It's all based on what your priorities and ethics are... selling weapons to kill people or manipulating their thoughts while pretending to give them freebies and knowing that beggars can't be choosers.

I guess that Google are as smart as Trump because they know how to avoid paying taxes in the countries whose screens they display ads on and whose data they collect.
    Sounds very interesting and profitability should be excellent. Do you know a specific ETF that I should be looking at. I'd like to buy for each of my kids college funds...
    11-01-16 03:05 PM
    By the time that decision was finally made, it was never likely to "save" BB (meaning: the hardware division). Had that decision been made in 2010 (instead of buying QNX and spending billions to develop the BB10 platform), BB might still be a sizable player in the smartphone market. But we'll never know.
    In my perfect hindsight BlackBerry world they would have continued the development of the 9900 and BBOS for one more iteration but would made a flagship Android all touch device in time to counter the Galaxy S III.
    11-01-16 03:26 PM
    Sounds very interesting and profitability should be excellent. Do you know a specific ETF that I should be looking at. I'd like to buy for each of my kids college funds...
    Try some of the big US military companies.
    I am sure you can also find a few diamond mining companies if you do a Google search ;-)
    You get the drift. It's all based on your values.
    �n the process do some other than Google search to find out how much tax Google paid in Britain last year (and how much profit) and do the same for Apple in Australia...all very ethical.
    11-01-16 03:56 PM
    Try some of the big US military companies.
    I am sure you can also find a few diamond mining companies if you do a Google search ;-)
    You get the drift. It's all based on your values.
    I've got plenty of moral value personally. Doesn't mean it agrees with yours...
    Owning a smartphone means that we compromise those values just by the conditions they're manufactured in.
    11-01-16 04:01 PM
    Good grief.
    Good grief indeed.

I think this thread just jumped the shark.

Equating Google's targeted Ads with blood diamonds ... LOL
    DrBoomBotz and TgeekB like this.
    11-01-16 04:05 PM
    ..all very ethical.
    And LEGAL.
    11-01-16 04:08 PM
    You can do everything on Android that you can on BB10 but most things aren't as efficient. Android is an OS built for apps. BB10 is built for productivity. It's great however Android (and iOS) is the future for better or worse.
    11-01-16 04:08 PM
229 ... 23456 ...