Seriously, a real BB enthusiast (despite the brand dying) could care less about whatsapp - BBM far exceeds anything this app can provide.
    I think most here would prefer to use BBM.... if their friends were using it.
    FF22 and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    02-29-16 01:17 PM
    I think most here would prefer to use BBM.... if their friends were using it.
    Why won't your friends use it? Mine do. Some are former BlackBerry users now on iOS and or some of my family are on Android. It's not like the app is hard to download and or use. Never really understood this. Whatsapp is nothing really special. (I deleted it long ago) Other friends that don't use either just txt me or send a message through FB. My BlackBerry 10 device will continue to meet my needs and operate well. If I really needed it I would just grab the Android version. (Like Skype)

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    02-29-16 01:29 PM
    If you cant beat 'em, join 'em I suppose. Sounds crazy to some, but they have this BBM app thing on all platforms. I dunno, maybe its not worth the fight. My girlfriends BBM on Priv just spews ads all the time, I digress.
    If you can't beat them.... arrange to have them beaten!!
    acovey likes this.
    02-29-16 01:57 PM
    LOL
    02-29-16 02:06 PM
    Why won't your friends use it? Mine do. Some are former BlackBerry users now on iOS and or some of my family are on Android. It's not like the app is hard to download and or use. Never really understood this. Whatsapp is nothing really special. (I deleted it long ago) Other friends that don't use either just txt me or send a message through FB. My BlackBerry 10 device will continue to meet my needs and operate well. If I really needed it I would just grab the Android version. (Like Skype)

I made the mistake of asking them to do it back when BBM went live the 2nd time..... most removed it within hours, if not a day. Last six or seven months I didn't even setup BBM whenever I did a clean install of a new OS.

But as I'm in the US.... does seem like most here would just as soon use sms text, as most plans are unlimited these days. Had noticed FB Messenger traffic for a short while, but that seems to have died down.... along with Facebook posting in general.
    02-29-16 02:08 PM
    I live perfectly fine without Whatsapp. It doesn't make me any safer.

Regardless, there is 10 more months of Whatsapp which is plenty of time to adapt to safer climes.

Posted via CB10
    If half of your friends are using WhatsApp you cant just convince them to move to a different platform. Personally I see more and more FB Messenger traffic. BBM? Never existed here.
    02-29-16 04:44 PM
    If half of your friends are using WhatsApp you cant just convince them to move to a different platform. Personally I see more and more FB Messenger traffic. BBM? Never existed here.
    None of my friends use Whatapp so it is not a personal concern.

Regardless, you don't have to change platforms, just download the app. Not too difficult. People download apps all the time.

I don't know where BBM never existed.

Posted via CB10
    02-29-16 04:54 PM
    Maybe not a personal concern of yours, but it is another nail in the coffin. BBM never existed in the Nordics.
    02-29-16 04:58 PM

Because they just don't want to when what they have works perfectly.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-29-16 07:05 PM
    I never use WhatsApp so, that news is of no consequence to me. However, will BBM stop supporting BB10 OS? If not, is BB10 really dead or on the back burner just in case it can be resurrected for some purpose? BB10 OS could be becoming an elite OS.
    Even if you don't use WhatsApp, you should be aware that WhatsApp's decision to drop BB10 support is going to be influential among other app developers. WhatsApp is a Top 10 smartphone application (based on userbase), and this news is going to make other devs question their own commitment to BB10, and many will make the same decision that WhatsApp made. And momentum will start to build as more and more devs pull the plug. If you are familiar with the history of, say, WebOS, this is exactly what happened.
    02-29-16 07:48 PM
    If you can't beat them.... arrange to have them beaten!!
    Just say that you want to go clubbing

Posted via CB10
    02-29-16 07:48 PM
    Because they just don't want to when what they have works perfectly.
    Ok, then simply use the Android version of Whatsapp. BlackBerry 10 runs Android apps on my devices well. Or sell or shelf your BlackBerry 10 and move to something else. This whole Whatsapp issue is completely overblown. Tons of major apps do not support BlackBerry 10. Whats new??

TCB on Z10 likes this.
    02-29-16 08:38 PM
    Even if you don't use WhatsApp, you should be aware that WhatsApp's decision to drop BB10 support is going to be influential among other app developers. WhatsApp is a Top 10 smartphone application (based on userbase), and this news is going to make other devs question their own commitment to BB10, and many will make the same decision that WhatsApp made. And momentum will start to build as more and more devs pull the plug. If you are familiar with the history of, say, WebOS, this is exactly what happened.
    Again BlackBerry 10 runs Android apps so one can get it from SNAP or Cobalt's Google Play or Amazon should it be added there. Most, if not all of us, that use BlackBerry 10 already know this. BlackBerry gave BlackBerry 10 this ability because what Whatsapp decided is what the vast majority had or has already done. BlackBerry 10 was officially a hybrid OS the moment Amazon came pre-loaded. (One with much better messaging capabilities than Android as I can attest to with my Samsung tablets)

02-29-16 08:49 PM
    Ok, then simply use the Android version of Whatsapp. BlackBerry 10 runs Android apps on my devices well. Or sell or shelf your BlackBerry 10 and move to something else. This whole Whatsapp issue is completely overblown. Tons of major apps do not support BlackBerry 10. Whats new??

Doesn't matter what version I have if nobody is on the other end using it.
    02-29-16 08:51 PM
    Doesn't matter what version I have if nobody is on the other end using it.
    Whatsapp is useless if people are on different versions? Android is a GIANT hot mess with so many devices on various versions or builds of OS's how can this be??

02-29-16 08:59 PM
    Whatsapp is useless if people are on different versions? Android is a GIANT hot mess with so many devices on various versions or builds of OS's how can this be??

Whatsapp is useless if there's no Whatsapp on the device owned by the person you want to send a message to via Whatsapp.
    02-29-16 09:16 PM
    Whatsapp is useless if there's no Whatsapp on the device owned by the person you want to send a message to via Whatsapp.
    It is even more useless if the person doesn't own a cell phone.

Posted via CB10
    02-29-16 09:29 PM
    It is even more useless if the person doesn't own a cell phone.

Posted via CB10
    Or you have no friends

Posted via CB10
    02-29-16 09:36 PM
    Loaded the android version yesterday to check out. All seemed fine other than app was confused at which version was me. Then I deleated untill I actually need to switch.
    No different than skype moving into android store really.
    Don't see much of an issue hear.
    Fire is out

Posted via CB10
    02-29-16 09:40 PM
    Or you have no friends

Posted via CB10
    Then why would you whatsapp people? I guess that you could create imaginary whatsapp buddies.

Posted via CB10
    02-29-16 10:58 PM
    Netflix refusing to acknowledge BB10 was probably the #1 thing that killed it from the get go. When you think about it, even if the app was free, the ONLY way to use it was to have a paid subscription! So Netflix decided that making and maintaining a bb10 app wasn't worth the many millions of dollars of guaranteed revenue that app would have brought them. Think of the kind of statement THAT sent to the developer community.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    03-01-16 05:37 AM
    Then why would you whatsapp people? I guess that you could create imaginary whatsapp buddies.
    Go whatsapp yourself?
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    03-01-16 07:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    I'm envisioning an opportunity here.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    03-01-16 09:47 AM
    Tons of major apps do not support BlackBerry 10. Whats new??
    Yet another major app will cease supporting BlackBerry 10. That's new.

Whether you use WhatsApp or not, that WhatsApp is dropping support is bad for BB10. It makes a brand that already looks bad look worse. It paradoxically confirms the opinion of those who thought BlackBerry was already dead. It gives the few remaining major app developers yet another reason to consider whether they want to stay with BB10. That's what's new.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-01-16 10:26 AM
    I'm envisioning an opportunity here.
    I think I know where and how we could go with this. A messaging platform with imaginary randomly generated super cool and hip 'virtual' friends all doing uber cool stuff in uber cool places with the option of inserting your own photos of yourself to really be in the moment. We gotta patent and develop this, and then I can retire to Hawaii. We can call it BebumfacesnapsApp! And sell it for Billions.

We have to support a bb10 app for it though, no matter what the market share, cuz I don't want to be excluded from my own creation, nor do I want to have to endure another app gap thread even if I am one of the last bb10er's out there in the wilds of some pristine Hawaii beach.

Posted via CB10
    ZayDub likes this.
    03-01-16 10:26 AM
60 123