I was hoping to get a Priv when my contract was expire but then I saw this on BBC New, I am not an expert but I believe Blackberry is supposed to be a secured phone even running android.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37005226
    08-08-16 08:08 AM
    Not just Priv, but the DTEK50 as well, and a bazillion other Android phones. Good luck, Android fans...

'Quadrooter' security flaws said to affect over 900 million Android devices - CNET

"The flaw even affects several of Google's own Nexus devices, as well as the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge, according to the article, as well as the Blackberry DTEK50, which the company describes as the "most secure Android smartphone." CNET adds that "A patch that will fix one of the flaws will not be widely released until September, a Google spokesperson confirmed.""

Richard
    enrod87 likes this.
    08-08-16 08:12 AM
    Just keep "install from unknown sources" off. No worries.
    bakron1 likes this.
    08-08-16 08:20 AM
    Not just Priv, but the DTEK50 as well, and a bazillion other Android phones. Good luck, Android fans...

'Quadrooter' security flaws said to affect over 900 million Android devices - CNET

"The flaw even affects several of Google's own Nexus devices, as well as the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge, according to the article, as well as the Blackberry DTEK50, which the company describes as the "most secure Android smartphone." CNET adds that "A patch that will fix one of the flaws will not be widely released until September, a Google spokesperson confirmed.""

Richard
    Once again for those who just share without any knowledge of how Android works:

You would need to turn off multiple things such as the feature to Stop 3rd Party apps from being installed, allowing of removal of harmful apps and scanning for threats.

Thanks a lot for wishing us good luck, with another article of malware that will never affect us unless we want it to.
    enrod87 likes this.
    08-08-16 08:37 AM
    The only people "worried" are people who are clueless about Android.

I've been using Android since 2010, every couple months you read of some new malware that will do this and that to our precious Androids, these are usually articles posted by people who clearly don't have much experience with the OS.

With each of these new malware, there is NEVER a complaint of someone actually being affected, yet time and time again Android Haters clutch at every malware article, and those of us who use the OS laugh it away until the next article.
    08-08-16 08:49 AM
    Last security update from BlackBerry Re august 5 does mention fixes for vulnerability Re Qualcomm

Remember BlackBerry updates on a monthly basis!

http://blck.by/2auvVCL

Posted via PRIV and or Passport SE
    08-08-16 11:02 AM
    Last security update from BlackBerry Re august 5 does mention fixes for vulnerability Re Qualcomm

Remember BlackBerry updates on a monthly basis!

http://blck.by/2auvVCL

Posted via PRIV and or Passport SE
    3 out of 4 were patched with Aug update. Last one will be patched with Sep update.
    08-08-16 11:22 AM
    I just find it funny that the article (currently 5th most read on the whole site) has BlackBerry first in the list of phones with this weakness. More bad publicity.
    08-08-16 11:33 AM
    3 out of 4 were patched with Aug update. Last one will be patched with Sep update.
    Or an out-of-band if BlackBerry feels like it, as they did with that one thing in March.
    08-08-16 11:34 AM
    There is malware in the Google play store. Turning off installing from unknown sources won't prevent this exploit.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-08-16 12:17 PM
    There is malware in the Google play store. Turning off installing from unknown sources won't prevent this exploit.

Not true. Google started scanning for this in the Spring.
    08-08-16 12:19 PM

Can you point us to this malware you speak of in the Playstore?

Thanks!
    andy957 likes this.
    08-08-16 12:26 PM
    Once again for those who just share without any knowledge of how Android works:

You would need to turn off multiple things such as the feature to Stop 3rd Party apps from being installed, allowing of removal of harmful apps and scanning for threats.

Thanks a lot for wishing us good luck, with another article of malware that will never affect us unless we want it to.
    Any solution for annoying adware that doesn't leave your phone once infected?

Posted via CB10
    08-08-16 12:27 PM
    Any solution for annoying adware that doesn't leave your phone once infected?

Posted via CB10
    I've never had such a thing. If you have an app that keeps showing ads, delete it.
    08-08-16 12:33 PM
    Even BB10 has had vulnerabilities in components. You're not going to find software that has an actual complex function with absolutely no vulnerabilities of any kind.
    Troy Tiscareno and cgk like this.
    08-08-16 12:37 PM
    I believe the DTEK is the 'most secure Android', not the Priv (correct me if I'm wrong), hence you may need to 'upgrade' from a Priv to a DTEK in order to become 'secure'.
    08-08-16 12:48 PM
    I believe the DTEK is the 'most secure Android', not the Priv (correct me if I'm wrong), hence you may need to 'upgrade' from a Priv to a DTEK in order to become 'secure'.
    What's the difference between them, software-wise?
    08-08-16 12:49 PM
    But they claimed that about the priv? This is why nobody in android land stakes their rep on security.

The only name on that list anyone will remember is the priv.

(Not that I think there is an actual threat but this is about perception).
    08-08-16 01:19 PM
    But they claimed that about the priv? This is why nobody in android land stakes their rep on security.

The only name on that list anyone will remember is the priv.

(Not that I think there is an actual threat but this is about perception).
    Although Blackberry Integrity detection may very well pick up an infection on boot. That's the problem with lists.
    08-08-16 01:28 PM
    08-08-16 01:33 PM