I am with Tmo and I just upgraded my girlfriend's phone. I got her the Google G-1. When she got it I took it and began going through it and found that it is a nice phone, I have the 8320 Blackberry Curve, I was thinking about getting the G 1 also but after finding this site I am having SERIOUS second , third and fourth thoughts. The G 1 is cool and has alot of cool features but there is something about the blackberry. I am not really technically inclined but I am becomming absoultley fascinated with my Curve. I have had it for a little over 6 months and never really did anything with it or to it, But after she got the G 1 I think I became jealous and was determined to learn about my Curve.
    Within the last week I learned how to upgrade my OS and save my third party apps and was able to get pandora. I know it no big deal but it is kind of to me. The more I learn and actually see what this device is capable of the more I love it. Is that wrong...to love a phone like that.....I mean just today I took a nap...with my blackberry on my chest. It just felt right.
    04-03-09 05:04 AM
    ROFL, made my day !!
    04-03-09 05:36 AM
    does this thing have a phone on it?
    04-03-09 05:39 AM
    We all have our moments with our BB's!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-09 06:00 AM
    Now, I can totally relate to your story...

Smartphones and I, we go waaaay back, actually all the way to the Nokia 9110i communicator back in 1999. Geez, has it really been ten years already? I have had more than my fair share of smartphones since then (about three phones a year in average). Some of them were not smart at all, but rather a major pain in the ***. (Can you say Redmond?)

The biggest challenge used to be how to connect them with my Mac, and I think many of the forum guys will feel with me.

I never really even considered the BB, out of reasons that you will surely have heard of before: only for companies, great for business but sucks for private use, not much software available and I just love ereader.com, which only shortly became available for the BB. Haven't bought a real book in several years.

So I got an iPhone 3G 16GB last year and I am perfectly happy, especially with OS 3.0 coming up. Next to that I have one phone just for "try-out" purposes, until this week it used to be a SE Xperia X1. Really great hardware, impressive even, but WM really f**** it up.

But then last Monday a guy from work with whom I share a cubicle got himself a BB Bold and I was impressed. I immediately decided to trade in my Xperia. After having placed an ad at the local internet marketplace it took only a day for me to trade for a battered Curve 8310 and some cash.

Since then I was constantly using and exploring the Curve and I have to say that even though it is not the best BB out there, it still amazes me. I have to note that I cannot use BIS, since I don't have the data plan that would be needed to run it. So unfortunately I cannot make full use of it's capabilities. And despite that it is great.

I like the form factor, it is only a little smaller than the iPhone but feels lots smaller. The keyboard is a bit narrow for my taste but I can cope with that. The software is smart, easy to use and stable and much more centered on communicating then the iPhone's. Ok, it's not as nicely designed, but still feels somehow natural.

All the options are there when I need them and where I need them. Texting is easy, call options are great and you can communicate in every way needed. In addition, the device is very much adaptable to one's own needs. GPS is accurate and fast. Battery lifetime is excellent considering the device is transferring data all the time. Absolutely no hassles with compatibility and data exchange with other devices, Bluetooth works like a charm. To put it short: It offers all that one could ask of a Smartphone.

What sucks?

GPRS, but that's not BB's fault. Should have waited a little longer and trade for a different model.

As stated before, the keys are a bit too close together (and I have rather small hands for a man), but you can make do as you gain experience.

One thing I don't get is why OS 4.5 looks different on my Curve compared to OS 4.5 on my colleagues Bold. WTF???

The desktop software for the Mac is REALLY in need of improval: after the first connection, it refused to talk to the 8310 ever again since. Almost like a scorned woman... Re-Starts don't help and I almost got a Carpaltunnel syndrome plugging the cable in and out, but PocketMac won't budge. Re-install did not help either (third one and counting). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Blurb: As soon as the Desktop Software is usable and there is a BB in style of the Bold that can fit my whole music library of about 9 GB, I am sold. At this point I guess the iPhone will become a development phone only...

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Rene
    04-03-09 06:10 AM
    Rene, if your buddies' Bold is operating on 4.5, I'd be rather surprised, since the Bold runs 4.6, a different setup not compatible with your Curve.

04-03-09 06:47 AM
    Ok, then I think I know where I made the mistake... I was assuming since the 8310 just had a new update it would be on the same level as the bold. My bad...

On the other hand, it already is quite sluggish sometimes, I think I would not want to know how slow it can get with the hardware-challenging graphical surface of the Bold.... ;-)
    04-03-09 07:03 AM
    Ok, then I think I know where I made the mistake... I was assuming since the 8310 just had a new update it would be on the same level as the bold. My bad...

On the other hand, it already is quite sluggish sometimes, I think I would not want to know how slow it can get with the hardware-challenging graphical surface of the Bold.... ;-)
    How much free memory do you have?
    Options>status
    04-03-09 07:15 AM
    The more I learn and actually see what this device is capable of the more I love it. Is that wrong...to love a phone like that.....I mean just today I took a nap...with my blackberry on my chest. It just felt right.
    That's why it's called a crackberry. Enjoy your new addiction...and this website too!
    04-03-09 07:23 AM
    Your not alone we are all in the same boat.
    04-03-09 07:29 AM
    Tyrolean, we can probably
    Help you get it running more effectively.

Also, which OS did you upgrade to? Dpending on your OS, you may be able to install up to a 16gb media card which will handle your storage needs quite nicely, hmm?

04-03-09 07:52 AM
    You know, the BB's seem to have something special about it... really addictive as you said... they should really issue warning labels...

Even the user group has a special feeling to it. Reminds me of the times of the Newton....

To answer thinkamps question: 9140728 Bytes + 4 GB Memory Card. You think this causes the problems?
    04-03-09 07:54 AM
    You know, the BB's seem to have something special about it... really addictive as you said... they should really issue warning labels...

Even the user group has a special feeling to it. Reminds me of the times of the Newton....

To answer thinkamps question: 9140728 Bytes + 4 GB Memory Card. You think this causes the problems?
    Yes your memeory is REALLY low. Should always atleast be at 12mb.

To free up some memory I would go into my browser>options>cache operations>and clear everything out

Next hold down the ATL+the escape button and make sure you have closed out all of your programs...there should be five that are always running which are: homepage, browser, bbm, messages, and call log.

Last I would hold down ATL and type in lglg and then press your bb button and clear your log out.

You should have tons of freed up memory after you do all that.
    04-03-09 08:11 AM
    You are soooo not alone...I too am in love with my BB. It's nuts I know. LOL
    04-03-09 08:40 AM
    Ok, I followed the described steps, max I can get out of it is 11,2 MB. Are there any other verdicts that may be eating memory? Because if I understood it right the 8310 has 64 MB of available memory, right?

3rd party Apps installed are: Funambol (since I can't use BIS), Worldmate, Google Maps, eReader, Crackberry App Store, Google Sync beta, Google mail, Viigo, Nav4All, iSkoot

(got both a gmail account and a mobile me account from apple)

further approx. 260 contacts, 150 appointments, 40 tasks, 40 notes. Which I would not consider enormously much

I would suspect Nav4All which came pre-installed when I got the device or funambol.

With sluggish I mean that at some points the BB takes more than just a few seconds to mull it over before doint what I want (sometimes even 2-3 minutes) during which I only see the hourglass, but most of the time I don't notice any lag at all.
    04-03-09 08:56 AM

04-03-09 09:01 AM
    Thats why we are all here!
    04-03-09 09:03 AM
    lmao! loved your post, OP!
    04-03-09 09:34 AM
    I completely understand as I had my BB for a year before my Palm Z22 died and I started to use my BB for what God intended to be used for. After that I fell in love!!!
    04-03-09 09:41 AM
    I am with Tmo and I just upgraded my girlfriend's phone. I got her the Google G-1. When she got it I took it and began going through it and found that it is a nice phone, I have the 8320 Blackberry Curve, I was thinking about getting the G 1 also but after finding this site I am having SERIOUS second , third and fourth thoughts. The G 1 is cool and has alot of cool features but there is something about the blackberry. I am not really technically inclined but I am becomming absoultley fascinated with my Curve. I have had it for a little over 6 months and never really did anything with it or to it, But after she got the G 1 I think I became jealous and was determined to learn about my Curve.
    Within the last week I learned how to upgrade my OS and save my third party apps and was able to get pandora. I know it no big deal but it is kind of to me. The more I learn and actually see what this device is capable of the more I love it. Is that wrong...to love a phone like that.....I mean just today I took a nap...with my blackberry on my chest. It just felt right.
    Yeah....my "Mitchell" is an awesome wonder! I love that phone! If I ever had to give it up, I don't know if I could go back to a regular wireless device. I would probably just get a beeper instead. They still make those, right?
    04-03-09 09:45 AM
    Ok, I followed the described steps, max I can get out of it is 11,2 MB. Are there any other verdicts that may be eating memory? Because if I understood it right the 8310 has 64 MB of available memory, right?

3rd party Apps installed are: Funambol (since I can't use BIS), Worldmate, Google Maps, eReader, Crackberry App Store, Google Sync beta, Google mail, Viigo, Nav4All, iSkoot

(got both a gmail account and a mobile me account from apple)

further approx. 260 contacts, 150 appointments, 40 tasks, 40 notes. Which I would not consider enormously much

I would suspect Nav4All which came pre-installed when I got the device or funambol.

With sluggish I mean that at some points the BB takes more than just a few seconds to mull it over before doint what I want (sometimes even 2-3 minutes) during which I only see the hourglass, but most of the time I don't notice any lag at all.
    I have heard viigo eats up a lot of memory...again make sure you are closing all your apps out completely.

Another thing you could do it empty out your sms/mms messages and maybe delete some emails off your bb and just leave them on your gmail inbox.
    04-03-09 09:52 AM

Also, look in this link: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/ and it'll help you free up a lot more memory!

04-03-09 10:01 AM
    And to add a little BB all-time classic, leave it on and pull the battery and wait about 30 seconds, and put it back in for a reboot if you haven't done it already.

04-03-09 10:23 AM
    Yea I really love my 8330. I had mine for about 6 months and it has been an absolute pleasure. I do everything with it, from music to browsing. I know I'll never really be bored with it in my pocket. I'm at my fiance's sister salon and they're doing all that girl talk, but I'm ok since I have my Curve.

04-03-09 10:24 AM
    everyone can relate to this story one way or another. its nice to bond with your phone. enjoy it. the g-1 is nice (my boyfriend) has it but as with you i had a choice because BB is the way to go
    04-03-09 11:11 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD