02-26-14 11:28 AM
49 12
tools
    I see one or two users with BlackBerry devices on a daily basis, and it's not like I'm constantly looking for them - they just appear. It easily means that one in ten devices are BBs, but then if I'm not wrong, the market share says BlackBerry is globally below 5%.

Truth is I usually get to see old models, and a very few BB10 devices, but I guess this means there's still something to do so those BlackBerry users 'evolve' to the newer platform.

Does it have an explanation or is it just the delusional-me?

I usually move around northern Spain / southern France btw.

Posted via CB10
    That's because marketshare is based on new sales, not on existing user base.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    02-16-14 03:17 AM
    I tend to see a lot in my daily business dealings and always ask if there satisfied with there device. Most are.

It the last report I seen it said BlackBerry sold almost 19,000 smart phones in 2013, how many were bb10 devices is definitely debatable.

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    I'd hope BB sold more than 19k phones in the whole of 2013... Or it really is game over!

Assuming you meant to type 19M, that would be consistent with the 5M I've seen quoted in several places as the total worldwide sales of BB10.

There's no debate over the sales ratio... Legacy outsells BB10, three to one. That was confirmed by BB themselves at the last ER. There'll be statistical hotspots and coldspots where the ratio will be different, but overall that 3:1 legacy:BB10 will hold.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 02-16-14 at 07:24 AM.
    02-16-14 07:12 AM
    I'd hope BB sold more than 19k phones in the whole of 2013... Or it really is game over!

Assuming you meant to type 19M, that would be consistent with the 5M I've seen quoted in several places as the total worldwide sales of BB10.

There's no debate over the sales ratio... Legacy outsells BB10, three to one. That was confirmed by BB themselves at the last ER. There'll be statistical hotspots and coldspots where the ratio will be different, but overall that 3:1 legacy:BB10 will hold.
    Yeah I Meant 19 million my bad. It is sad, but it solely BlackBerry's fault. They should have released bb10 with lower prices and a unbelievable upgrade plan for legacy users should have been addressed to, since they have over 50 million users on bbos.

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    02-16-14 12:33 PM
    I know, but still. Where I live I think it should be even lower than the global trend, as carriers nowadays barely offer BlackBerry devices.

Anyway even though if it's confirmation-biased there's still a lot of BlackBerry devices being used out there, so the general view is that BlackBerry hasn't dissappeared at all. The game is still on!

Posted via CB10
    Please help us have an idea by telling us where you live.

I'm in Montreal and I have started seeing a lot of BB10 devices as well. Including a Z30 which was absolutely gorgeous. The phone looks a lot better in person than it does in pictures.

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    02-16-14 01:30 PM
    Please help us have an idea by telling us where you live.

I'm in Montreal and I have started seeing a lot of BB10 devices as well. Including a Z30 which was absolutely gorgeous. The phone looks a lot better in person than it does in pictures.

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    I live in Bilbao and I usually move around northern Spain / southern France. There's been a really big iPhone and Samsung impact in recent years, but as far as I've seen, there's still a lot of BlackBerry legacy devices out there. BB10 is almost unexistent, specially the Q10 which is as rare as priceless. A few Z10s can be seen, though, and recently very little Q5s.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 01:40 PM
    Yeah I Meant 19 million my bad. It is sad, but it solely BlackBerry's fault. They should have released bb10 with lower prices and a unbelievable upgrade plan for legacy users should have been addressed to, since they have over 50 million users on bbos.
    I agree that this is solely BB's fault. BB could have done far more to attract legacy users to BB10. Given the write-downs and everything else, I wonder if a bold move such as a straight exchange: Q10 for whatever legacy BB you have, would have been worth trying.

But, frankly, I think that it's probably too late for that. IMO, it reflects BB arrogance that they thought a wholesale legacy owner switchover to BB10 was a given, and didn't need any "push" to help it along.

With three out of every four BB purchases, even today, being for a legacy device... Well, you have to assume that is a active choice and those buyers have made an informed decision *not* to get a BB10 device. I have never bought into the "nobody knows about BB10" argument. You'd have to have never read a newspaper, magazine, financial report, or watched TV over the last 18-months to not know that BB had a new OS and a new range of phones.

The reality, as has been discussed many times on CB, is that many of the legacy owners see BB10 as a step-down in terms of features and productivity. If that wasn't the case, three-quarters of buyers wouldn't *still* be walking out of a shop with a "new" legacy phone.
    02-16-14 02:26 PM
    Don't believe everything you see.

If you read it, it must be true!
    02-16-14 02:42 PM
    !
    Dad!!!

02-16-14 02:47 PM
    I've never seen another Z10 in public besides my own.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 03:48 PM
    I agree that this is solely BB's fault. BB could have done far more to attract legacy users to BB10. Given the write-downs and everything else, I wonder if a bold move such as a straight exchange: Q10 for whatever legacy BB you have, would have been worth trying.

But, frankly, I think that it's probably too late for that. IMO, it reflects BB arrogance that they thought a wholesale legacy owner switchover to BB10 was a given, and didn't need any "push" to help it along.

With three out of every four BB purchases, even today, being for a legacy device... Well, you have to assume that is a active choice and those buyers have made an informed decision *not* to get a BB10 device. I have never bought into the "nobody knows about BB10" argument. You'd have to have never read a newspaper, magazine, financial report, or watched TV over the last 18-months to not know that BB had a new OS and a new range of phones.

The reality, as has been discussed many times on CB, is that many of the legacy owners see BB10 as a step-down in terms of features and productivity. If that wasn't the case, three-quarters of buyers wouldn't *still* be walking out of a shop with a "new" legacy phone.
    I agree with most of this, but don't agree it's too late yet, only because as you stayed 3/4 BlackBerry's sold are legacy. This has to do many with prices, missing features etc. Given the write downs they could have sold z10s at half the price and had a better outcome then they did in 2013.

I also don't agree bb10 is a step down, bbos had and has so many more problems and limitations bb10 won't face. Being a modern os. These users are hung up on features that most(not all) will eventually be coded into the os. Bbos7 was a mature os that took almost a decade to get the features it currently has.

Only time will tell really, as these our purely our opinions.

02-16-14 05:54 PM
    6 months ago our IT department was telling me they were not willing to go with BB10 phones because there was a concern that BlackBerry will go under.

Now they are planning to upgrade our phones to iPhone, Z10 and Q10.

BlackBerry used to be the dominated choice among our company devices. Now I believe more people will pick up iPhone than Z10.

But the bright side is, BlackBerry is still in the play. I really wish Z30 is one of the choices because that will blow iPhone out of water so easily and secure the next device upgrade cycle for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    02-16-14 06:39 PM
    I work in San Francisco and as a phone junky, I look at what everyone is using and what I see fits the low stats. I have never seen another person using a BB10 device. BBOS devices are maybe 1 in 100. In the life of the PlayBook which I got upon release, I've only seen two other PlayBooks. At work, there's maybe 5 BB users out of 100 lines that we manage.

I have talked my boss into testing BES10 for MDM, so I still have hope for a turnaround...
    It's definitely rough in San Francisco where it's iPhone city. I suppose we haven't run into one another yet I'm doing what I can and have many folks on my team using Z10s and Z30s now and they love it even though they can't use them fully on the corp network (trying to get SWS MDM going too). I don't use my PlayBook anymore though. No need with the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 07:33 PM
    In another discussion thread in December - January, that ran for 1000+ posts, it was made clear that a large number of sales of bbos ("legacy") devices was because companies ordered them for their employees and not because the public chose that phone. Corporate buyers are cautious.

2nd point that may need correction is this : 19,000,000 may be too high a number for bb10 sales -- because apparently BlackBerry sold three times more bbos devices than bb10 devices. (?).

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 09:16 PM
    correction BB marketshare worldwide is not 5% from last report it is 0.6% worldwide

you still can see a lot of BB phone because old phone are not counted as marketshare...it is counted as userbase...and it is different in every countries

in indonesia you still can see a lot of BB, but when im traveling to singapore, Hong kong, China, Japan i only see..1 or 2 BB after several weeks..and mostly used by tourist
    02-16-14 09:25 PM
    I've seen more and more around me every day, I convinced my boss to get a Q10, his boss has a Q10, a contractor doing renovations at my store had a Z10! I probably see 4 or 5 9900s for every bb10 device though. You probably see more guns than BlackBerrys if you live in the states from what I've heard lol I can't imagine

Flicked on my Z30 or crushed on my Q5!
    02-16-14 09:38 PM
    correction BB marketshare worldwide is not 5% from last report it is 0.6% worldwide

you still can see a lot of BB phone because old phone are not counted as marketshare...it is counted as userbase...and it is different in every countries

in indonesia you still can see a lot of BB, but when im traveling to singapore, Hong kong, China, Japan i only see..1 or 2 BB after several weeks..and mostly used by tourist
    Useful but sad information. Gotta increase those numbers! Hopefully userbase is still huge, that would explain a lot

Posted via CB10
    02-18-14 08:22 AM
    Cincinnati Ohio and I've seen exactly 2 BB10 devices. Both business people. At school I don't even really seen OS7 devices anymore. Have seen a pickup in the amount of WP8 devices though but pretty much everything is either a iPhone, GS4, or Note device.

I will say though that I personally know 3 people who currently have a Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    02-18-14 08:57 AM
    That's because marketshare is based on new sales, not on existing user base.

Even counting old devices the market share is still very low because Android and iOS sell so much higher volume. In the case of iOS I'd say that affects them more since people tend to resale and reuse those devices at a higher rate than other platforms.

Someone who bought a BB10 (or anything) may later go to eBay and buy something else second hand, which is not counted in market share numbers (but may be factored into other tests like those that use unique browser visitors to measure). That affects BB more than other platforms because they have such smaller market share for that to affect.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    02-18-14 01:50 PM

I would bet that many of those BBOS phone purchases are corp / govt purchases or purchases of Curve models in the developing countries where BIS plans are a good thing. The legacy owners that I know just use their phones as a cell phone and for emails / texting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    02-19-14 10:02 AM
    In Switzerland I see quite a lot of BB10 devices - still means I maybe see two a day, average, while I am seeing a lot more other devices. So 5% market share could be accurate.

I think the use of mobile devices is relatively easy to track, so the statistics can't get too far away from reality here.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 11:01 AM
    Down here in Houston, Texas, USA I rarely see legacy devices anymore except for at the airport (business types). BUT... today I was so excited to be sitting in a meeting and I heard a notification sound like my Q10! Sure enough, there was another Q10 in the room and if that wasn't enough, there were also two Z10's!!

My excitement left as quickly as it came through because I realized that these were truly the first BB10 devices I've seen in the wild. To make matters worse, the three guys that had them were from Mexico...not even locals...sigh...

At the end of the day, I love my Q10 and BB10 in general. This has been my favorite device to date!!

Posted via CB10
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    02-25-14 09:14 PM
    Maybe in EU, not here in US.
    If you see somebody here in US with a BlackBerry is because they ate using for work. They will easily reach out the right pocket for an iphone.

BBZ10 forever

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 09:43 PM
    Maybe in EU, not here in US.
    If you see somebody here in US with a BlackBerry is because they ate using for work. They will easily reach out the right pocket for an iphone.

BBZ10 forever

Posted via CB10
    Nothing wrong with that, those people need two phones and two phone numbers.

02-26-14 10:26 AM
    Around my area in Saskatchewan , my friends at work have BB Z10s, my family members and friends have BlackBerries (15) most are Z10s, and i am the only one who has 2 Z30s.
    02-26-14 11:28 AM
49 12