I am in the "research" stage of venturing into Blackberry Nation. My biggest negative to a BB right now is "how fast I'll be able to text". I have been a T9 disciple for YEARS and can fly thru them. I tried a SideKick a few years ago, and hated it because it took me so long to type with my thumbs.

I do not want a Pearl (2 friends have them, and I have to top them!).. and have been leaning towards a Bold when it comes out/April '09 when my contract is up (I have a 2 line dilemma with Sprint, otherwise I'd switch to the SimplyEverything Plan right away). Even though I like the size of the Pearl, I guess I'll have to adapt to holstering the berry on my hip.

As I understand it, I have to tap each letter key of the word to get the word I want.. there isn't any predictive list? It seems so random to me that that is not an option, since it's so easy in T9 mode to do that.

I'm so frustrated. I don't want to change my entire plan over for a BlackBerry and end up not liking typing on it and having to return it and probably lose my plan as is.

Any advice? Do I just have to learn to tap each letter and live with it to fully appreciate all the things the BB can do that my Sanyo Katana can't?

Any and all insight is appreciated!
    07-06-08 05:08 PM
    I was also kind of frustrated with this at first...

But then I got 100% comfortable with the full keyboard and having to type out the word and now get through a message quicker than I would on my old Razr.
    07-06-08 05:12 PM
    Boom Booms, Nice screen name, If you buy a BB and have it for less than 30 days I believe that you can return it. So get it a whirl and you should get used to it with no problem. I know old habbits are hard to break, but I THINK YOU CAN DO IT.
    07-06-08 05:15 PM
    You will have a trial period with ur carrier usually for 30 days. This means if within ur trial perod u don't like ur new phone/plan u can go back to what u had. I was never a big fan of t9 so for me a full qwerty was the best choice. Since I switched to bb I have not looked back and seeing what is on the horizon I will have a new bb soon!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-08 05:16 PM
    Yea I figured the whole trial period, but the problem with that is my plan that I have now with Sprint is grandfathered, and they'd love to get me off of it so I know if I change to a BB friendly plan, if I return the BB, they'll never give me my plan back cause it won't be in the new billing system... at least I'm not in a huge rush to get one so I can weigh all the options.
    07-06-08 05:22 PM
    I was super quick w/ the T9 also and then got my BB. I type way more quick and don't have to make sure the suggested word is correct. I also incorporate my autotext for things such as 'u': 'ttyl' ; to pop up w/ the actual words instead of always typing TM code. I have my personal autotext's for myself such as 'wd' which pops up as 'what are you doing?'. I have a bunch of those created and saves typing time as well.

07-06-08 06:32 PM
    I was super quick w/ the T9 also and then got my BB. I type way more quick and don't have to make sure the suggested word is correct. I also incorporate my autotext for things such as 'u': 'ttyl' ; to pop up w/ the actual words instead of always typing TM code. I have my personal autotext's for myself such as 'wd' which pops up as 'what are you doing?'. I have a bunch of those created and saves typing time as well.

This seems to be the best alternative so far, I'll prob have a ton of autotexts!
    07-06-08 06:54 PM
    Trust us, you will completely get used to it and it will be first nature (forget second lol). If you can type on a regular comp then this will be nothing. And yea you can make you on auto text.
    07-06-08 08:33 PM
    i got used to typing on qwerty within a day or two...it is much faster i think. you shouldnt have any problem getting used to it
    07-07-08 11:12 AM
    Once your accuracy on the QWERTY goes up, you can type on it without having to look at your thumb placement.

The Berry can auto-complete some words... (like sec will go to seconds or something along those lines... but this is random and few and far between!)

The Pearl has SureType, which is really handy for texting... but a full QWERTY is nice!!
    07-07-08 11:17 AM
    Autotext is the real answer. The only downside is that the number of entries (and therefore the utility) is severely limited. What is really needed is first for RIM to expand the size of the Autotext file and then for a comprehensive shorthand language to be developed so that almost any word or phrase could be entered in just a few keystrokes. But until that capability exists we'll probably all be dealing with some form of carpal tunnel.
    07-08-08 02:00 PM
    The Thunder now seems like a great option, being that you can reportedly switch between QWERTY and SureType... I just don't want to switch to Verizon, but it may finally be time since everyone I know has it and I'm the only one on Sprint.
    07-08-08 04:56 PM
    You said you dont like the pearl but it would be most like the T9 that you are use to. I was use to T9 for a very long time and spent 2 years on the enV from verizon where i was T9 closed and qwerty open. I now have the pearl and will be taking it back to get the curve. Once you can full qwerty type there is nothing else. Only downside is one handed typing.

As far as the switch to Verizon. You should definitely not be afraid of that.
    07-08-08 05:07 PM
    For the 2 line problem I am on a family plan if you call sprint you can add the 30 dollar unlimited pack still..
    07-08-08 06:49 PM
    Auto Text is my BFF!

07-08-08 08:02 PM
    The Thunder now seems like a great option, being that you can reportedly switch between QWERTY and SureType... I just don't want to switch to Verizon, but it may finally be time since everyone I know has it and I'm the only one on Sprint.
    This feature does sound awesome!
    07-08-08 10:08 PM
    This seems to be the best alternative so far, I'll prob have a ton of autotexts!
    I like this idea - haven't tried it at this point.
    I've also gotten a bit faster on my keyboard, I think, within a couple days time, but my wrist is a bit sore.

SmeeBig7.
    07-08-08 10:18 PM
    Predictive text was ok, but back when the earth's crust was still cooling, I learned how to type on Qwerty: so when given the choice of a Pearl or Curve, I jumped for the Curve., and I've never for a moment wanted Predictive Text back.

07-08-08 10:26 PM
    you can reportedly switch between QWERTY and SureType...
    I haven't paid much attention to the specifics on the new devices but I can't figure out how this is even possible...? QWERTY means there is one letter per key. SureType is RIMS version of T9 - with two letters per key. How could you switch the quantity of letters per key? Someone explain for the dumb kid please...

For what it's worth Boom Boom, I use SureType on my Pearl and got used to the typing INCREDIBLY fast! I know that you don't want a Pearl, but SureType does have predictive text, meaning that the device tries to predict what word I am typing. I didn't like it at first, but I use it all of the time now and really like it. I sort of use it as a spell-check on the fly. (I hate misspelled words.)

I do use the AutoText too. If I type in "sb" it becomes Starbucks, when I type "sm" it becomes a smiley! I can type so fast (52 words per minute) that I don't need autotext!

I am sure you will get used to typing on QWERTY pretty quickly... Afterall, you got used to T9 at one point, right?

Good luck with your decision, I dont' know how you can stand to wait as long as you're planning to - I'd lose my mind!!
    07-08-08 10:26 PM
    I also went from T9 to the qwerty. I was slow at first, but now I don't know how I even used T9!
    07-08-08 10:30 PM
    I also went from T9 to the qwerty. I was slow at first, but now I don't know how I even used T9!
    This is just about the same for me. But seeing co-workers text w/ predictive text on their I-Phones it made me do a search here to see what the deal was w/ RIM and no outside apps for predictive text or chat. Very surprising.

Baja.
    07-20-08 01:02 PM
    It does kinda sound like the Pearl would be a better choice, friend-besting aside. I just switched from a Pearl to a Curve because I've been used to Palm devices and not T9, so I like the Curve better, but even I did get wicked fast at typing on the Pearl. There are definite upsides and downsides to both models. At any rate, I'll be selling my nearly new Sprint Pearl soon if anyone is interested!
    07-20-08 02:39 PM
    There is a predicting list in the pearl its a lot like t9 just better lol.

07-20-08 02:58 PM
    I use QWERTY. I was big on T9 myself on my RAZR, and then when I got the QWERTY I had to get used to it, now I fly through texts.
    07-20-08 06:19 PM
    I use QWERTY. I was big on T9 myself on my RAZR, and then when I got the QWERTY I had to get used to it, now I fly through texts.
    Yup as well as me! I've never typed on a keyboard before I got my Curve. There will be a period where you won't like it because its obviously a change from T9 and iTap etc. But at the end of the day its all the same. I would suggest you go with the Pearl if your addicted to T9. If your a fast typer on a keyboard go with the Curve. You won't make a mistake with the purchase.

Who knows maybe you'll develop carpal tunnel like the 99% of us here have

07-20-08 06:46 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD