I'm with Verizon and I currently have a Curve 8330. It's time for me to upgrade and I'm not sure which will give me the most options, the new Curve 8530 or the Tour? I don't use the phone for business, just personal use. Which phone will be a better choice for me?????
    03-29-10 03:46 PM
    If you dont use the phone for business use, then i would defiantly go with the curve. Its more of an entertainment phone, and the Tour is more for business and corporate use.
    03-29-10 03:49 PM
    With all due respect, I highly encourage you to do a bit of homework on your own, first. This way, you'll be able to better decide which posts you get here (if you cannot tell, I really detest the "help me decide" posts here...they seem senseless) have merit.

Go to your local VZW store, play with all of the Berries (obviously, I like the Storm 2), talk to the sales rep. Have a very clear, concise set of questions that define your wants/needs and make sure the salesperson responds to all of them. Play with the device, see how form and performance suit you. Then, and AFTER you've done this, see what's said here. Keep in mind that any thread you post here is only as accurate as the type of visitors it happens to have. Even with that, there are so many posts that are clearly biased and totally out of whack that it's very hard to judge by. Read professional reviews online, that helps some as well. Good luck and say hello to NC for me, I miss it!
    03-29-10 03:54 PM
    I was also in your same position only i use sprint. I had the 8330 and needed an upgrade after doing some studying I went with the 8530 it has media keys on the top which is great for listening to music. It is all around a great media phone. plus it has wifi and track pad which is well worth the upgrade alone. you will read a lot about battery life but it IS getting much better Verizon just released the new operating system which is a good improvement on battery life and i use the hybrid by Dukes which you can find here http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/new...-497-a-434116/ battery life is great and the browser is so fast it is unbelievable, even if you don't go with a hybrid os i highly recommend the curve 8530. it is all around a great phone and I am very happy with it. It is a lot bigger of a jump from the 8330 then i would have ever thought. Tour is a great phone also but i prefer the curve 8530 because it is a newer better phone and meant my needs perfectly! hope this helped if you have any other questions i would be happy to help!
    03-29-10 03:59 PM
    I went to the Verizon store twice and no one offered me any assistance. I like the design of both. I did the comparisons on both the Verizon website and blackberry.com website and I don't see much difference except the camera mp, and the Tour is global. Neither site goes in to the bells and whistles of each. I use my phone mainly to text, get email, and check facebook.
    03-29-10 04:00 PM
    I also noticed that the old Curve 8330 and the Tour have hot swappable memory and the Curve 8530 doesn't. I have no idea what that means and if it's even important!
    03-29-10 04:03 PM
    I also noticed that the old Curve 8330 and the Tour have hot swappable memory and the Curve 8530 doesn't. I have no idea what that means and if it's even important!
    That means the Micro SD card, and yes the 8530 has that as well if I am not mistaken.
    03-29-10 04:11 PM
    I personally would have chosen the Curve 8530, but my only issue with it is that I use my phones as my alarm clock and I use the charging docks for them. There is no charging dock for the 8530 yet as far as I have seen.

But that was not the only reason. I liked the look and the feel of the tour alot better. Only downside is the trackball versus the trackpad. Guess gotta wait for the 9650 to come out for that one.
    03-29-10 04:21 PM
    Wow..what's going on in Elm City? LOL...I can't get more than 10 feet into any of my VZW stores without being hit up by the sales staff. Ask for the manager and tell them you've been there twice and received NO help (and even threaten to contact HQ...this sounds like a problem in your local store).

As for "hot swappable" that simply means you can insert/remove the media card without turning off the device.

I went to the Verizon store twice and no one offered me any assistance. I like the design of both. I did the comparisons on both the Verizon website and blackberry.com website and I don't see much difference except the camera mp, and the Tour is global. Neither site goes in to the bells and whistles of each. I use my phone mainly to text, get email, and check facebook.
    03-29-10 04:22 PM
    Well if you did your research you would know the curve 8500 series is pretty much your 8300 with a trackpad. If your upgrading then get a better phone like the tour of 9700 because to upgrade to an 8500 really isn't an upgrade at all. It may just be your personal phone but wouldn't you want your personal phone to be better supported for a longer period of time with better themes apps and so on? Because I can assure you the 8500 series is rarely supported by few (on a slight upside since it is basically an 8300 most of those apps/themes will work)

Honestly do an upgrade for a better phone that will last not to the same phone in a different color with a trackpad.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-10 05:30 PM
    Thanks for your help!!! I think the store has cut back on employees and both times I went in there was no one walking around offering assistance. I don't need the global or the hot swappable so I'm going to get the Curve 8530. I like the trackpad instead of the trackball. I was considering trying the droid but I just don't think I'd like a touch screen. I wish they'd come out with a phone that would let you play apps on facebook like farmville!
    03-29-10 05:31 PM
    the 8530/8520 is a nice looking berry.
    03-29-10 07:31 PM
    I use my phone mainly to text, get email, and check facebook.
    Without a doubt, get the Tour! Or, if you can wait just a little longer, get the Tour2/Bold (whatever they name it) when it releases within the next month or so. The reason I say this is simple: the keyboard on the Tour is so much better than the keyboard on the Curve 8530. Your fingers will appreciate it, I am certain.

I noticed you had another post asking about BlackBerry vs. Android. I posted a response in there regarding that topic. Go check out what I posted because it might help your decision.

Good luck!
    ALB
    03-30-10 03:23 AM
    Well if you did your research you would know the curve 8500 series is pretty much your 8300 with a trackpad. If your upgrading then get a better phone like the tour of 9700 because to upgrade to an 8500 really isn't an upgrade at all. It may just be your personal phone but wouldn't you want your personal phone to be better supported for a longer period of time with better themes apps and so on? Because I can assure you the 8500 series is rarely supported by few (on a slight upside since it is basically an 8300 most of those apps/themes will work)

Honestly do an upgrade for a better phone that will last not to the same phone in a different color with a trackpad.

you are sadly mistaken, i dont even need to respond because your so wrong
    03-30-10 12:26 PM
    Try both phones out for an hour in the store.
    03-30-10 12:27 PM
    Thanks for your help!!! I think the store has cut back on employees and both times I went in there was no one walking around offering assistance. I don't need the global or the hot swappable so I'm going to get the Curve 8530. I like the trackpad instead of the trackball. I was considering trying the droid but I just don't think I'd like a touch screen. I wish they'd come out with a phone that would let you play apps on facebook like farmville!
    Sister, I hear you on the Farmville thing!!!!

I have the 8530 for work because they upgraded us away from the 8830WE which I was very unhappy about initially. Unfortunately, I always refer to it as an 8520 by mistake. It's a nice, nice phone. You will like it, I think.
    I tried the Tour one day just to see what it was like and I didn't care for the feel of it.
    03-30-10 12:39 PM
    Sister, I hear you on the Farmville thing!!!!

LOL!!! Actually, when I read her response with the Farmville reference, my first thought was "OMG...had I known this I would have never offered any advice!" I sooooooooooo detest Farmville and all the other apps on FB as they steal your friends list and in my case, want rights to all my intellectual property! The h*ll, I say!
    03-30-10 12:57 PM
    LOL!!! Actually, when I read her response with the Farmville reference, my first thought was "OMG...had I known this I would have never offered any advice!" I sooooooooooo detest Farmville and all the other apps on FB as they steal your friends list and in my case, want rights to all my intellectual property! The h*ll, I say!
    You are an evil, evil man....I don't trust you...you probably eat lamb chops (she said, in obvious reference to her adorable lamb Miss Ewenice.)

I mean...really....who wouldn't want to have these in their back porch?!?!?
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 03-30-10 at 03:51 PM.
    03-30-10 03:18 PM
    I would either get the 8530, wait for the 9650 (Bold2), or get a 9550 (Storm2).
    03-30-10 03:28 PM
    Ha!!!! Hey, I'm a vegetarian, so YOU are the "evil" one...if you eat any meat! You should be ashamed! Besides, how can I be so "evil" if I am formerly from the Raleigh/Durham area, gave seminars at Duke and I'm a HUGE Duke fan!

You are an evil, evil man....I don't trust you...you probably eat lamb chops (she said, in obvious reference to her adorable lamb Miss Ewenice.)

03-30-10 04:00 PM

They are too cute! I love farm animals.
    03-30-10 04:05 PM
    I'm for the tour, having one myself and a curve for my husband I like mine better, even though the software and everything are the same the feel of the buttons on the tour are smoother and not as hard to press. The buttons are bigger so if you miss your finger doesn't fall off a steep cliff like the curve. And the trackpad for the new curves are hard to get used to and sometimes you don't even know you're touching it, I stick with the good ol track ball

03-30-10 04:08 PM
    While I have no desire for anything other than the Storm, I have played with the trackpad when I'm in the VZW store and I kinda liked it. I have thought on several occasions 'if I HAD to have a physical keyboard, I'd definitely get a device with a trackpad!" Guess that's why they have such variety, different strokes for different folks. I just don't like keypads and that is the reason why I delayed for so long, in getting a BB. I HATE those tiny buttons! A few years ago, I was having dinner with a a model I had photographed. Some ***** was trying to pick up on her and when he asked what she did for a living, she whipped out her iPhone and showed him some photos I had shot of her on previous occasion. I was stunned by the clarity and saturation of the photos...for a phone, they looked terrific. As I sat there playing with her phone, I was struck by how much easier (for me) the virtual keyboard was. It was only because I DETEST AT&T, that I did not buy one. When the Storm 1 came to VZW, I was there on day one to make my purchase
    03-30-10 04:19 PM
    I'm with Verizon and I currently have a Curve 8330. It's time for me to upgrade and I'm not sure which will give me the most options, the new Curve 8530 or the Tour? I don't use the phone for business, just personal use. Which phone will be a better choice for me?????
    The curve 8520/30 would be better for you than the tour IMO espcially if your upgrading from a 8330 the 8530 keyboard is very similar on the 8330
    Last edited by markaveli420; 03-30-10 at 05:40 PM.
    03-30-10 05:38 PM
    Ha!!!! Hey, I'm a vegetarian, so YOU are the "evil" one...if you eat any meat! You should be ashamed! Besides, how can I be so "evil" if I am formerly from the Raleigh/Durham area, gave seminars at Duke and I'm a HUGE Duke fan!
    Hee, hee...we're kindred spirits then...I'm going vegan...
    03-30-10 07:44 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD