I understand we're pretty close to Waterloo, RIM's headquarters, but when i'm out all I ever see are people using BlackBerry phones. And I make sure when i'm out for lunch or in an elevator to pay attention. Sure I see the odd IPhone here or there, but 9 out of 10 phones are BlackBerry. Is this only in Toronto?
    Last edited by Hambly; 08-24-10 at 09:52 PM.
    08-24-10 09:32 PM
    it very much seems to be an age group,

I was at a sales conference in the US this weekend, and found that of the users older then me (28) the bulk of them carried Blackberry's of the people younger than me, the bulk has iPhones, very few had Android devices, I would say I saw more classic flip phones than Android phones.

I still see far more Blackberry's than any other phone and I too pay attention, but I still see the others. and more so in the last 3 months then any time previously.
    08-24-10 10:09 PM
    I make sure when i'm out for lunch or in an elevator to pay attention. ...
    I would hazard a guess, you are seeing primarily corporate folk and professionals. That will skew your observations a bit.

Try it in a High School lunch break room, that will skew towards iPhone and Android.

08-24-10 10:14 PM
    I frequent USA a lot and see too many young fanbois as mentioned. But everyone that is serious about business communications and great products over all use BBs!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-10 10:14 PM
    About 90 percent of the people I work with have Blackberry's. Some younger people are into the Droids, but I also know quite a few young people who love their Blackberry's.
    08-24-10 11:42 PM
    Its not just Toronto it's a good majority of the Province. Maybe 2% of the people I know & deal with across Ontario have an Iphone & its annoying when you try to have a discussion on BBM & that 1 person doesnt have a BB so u gotta switch to sms
    08-25-10 01:24 AM
    I'm from Calgary and pretty much it's the same here. Everyone pretty much owns a BB. There are the odd occasions I see iPhones but BB are the easiest to spot at any given restaurant.

There isn't a certain demographics that carries blackberry nowadays. High school teenagers are claiming this is the new fad either you're in or you're out. Business users continue to like the email platform. Post secondary students love BBM and the physical keyboard for easy texting.
    08-25-10 02:06 AM
    I use a blackberry and i'm in toronto.

08-25-10 02:45 AM
    I live in Toronto, and while BlackBerrys are common here I definitely wouldn't say 9/10 phones I see are Berrys. I feel that is a big exaggeration, either that or you are just noticing BlackBerrys more because you're looking out for them. I would say maybe about 4-5/10 of the phones I see are BlackBerrys, still a big ratio, about half or just under. iPhones are getting very popular and Samsung and Nokia flips are very popular among the younger demographic. I notice BlackBerrys are very popular among teens, corporate types and soccer moms.
    08-25-10 03:23 AM
    I live in Toronto, and at my highschool everyone wants a BlackBerry, for bbm and because of the keyboard. Everyone who had an iPhone has switched and everyone convinces people away from non-BlackBerry phones.
    08-25-10 10:01 AM
    Seeing nothing but BBs isn't a bad thing. Lol. I see alkot of them around here inm Texas too.

08-25-10 10:17 AM
    You should see my country, since its so small it makes it easier to communicate since almost everybody uses BBM, 70% of cellphones in the country are BlackBerries. I am 19 and I have 3 years being a user and I don't think I will ever use another brand for a looong time.
    08-25-10 11:14 AM
    Coming from FL I can say BB aren't as popular as they used to be. 2-3 years ago pretty much everybody I know had one. It's changing now but still lots of people use them.

08-25-10 12:16 PM
    I was in New York for a week and BlackBerries out numbered everything else by a wide margin. I also saw a lot of iPhone 3's. Very, very few Android or regular (dumb) cell phones.

Here in Montreal, I would say the BlackBerry dominates also but the iPhones are gaining ground quickly. Among my colleagues and friends, apart from the company-provided Blackberries, I would say that personal phones are pretty much equally divided between Blackberry and iPhone. Only one has an Android (HTC Hero).
    08-25-10 07:48 PM
    I'd say the same thing around here. it seems that even though the number of other devices being purchased is on the rise, it'll still be a while before that bypasses the number of devices that people have owned for a while and still hold on to.
    08-25-10 09:19 PM
    I see mostly BBs, followed by iphones, and then other "regular phones" after that. I think I've seen two Androids in my life (aside from in stores) and I don't know anyone with one.

BBs seem to greatly outnumber everything else. This is from observations on the TTC, in school (Centennial College last year, now the same in UofT), working in a call centre, and doing my co-op in a government office. Oh, and going to the mall, grocery store, etc.
    08-26-10 03:51 AM
    I would hazard a guess, you are seeing primarily corporate folk and professionals. That will skew your observations a bit.

Try it in a High School lunch break room, that will skew towards iPhone and Android.

Perhaps it's different where you live but here most of the teenagers have BlackBerry for BBM. My teenage son has hundreds of BBM contacts. When he goes to basketball practice all the kids on his team put their phones on the bench and every single phone is a BlackBerry.
    10-11-12 09:21 PM
    I live in Toronto, and at my highschool everyone wants a BlackBerry, for bbm and because of the keyboard. Everyone who had an iPhone has switched and everyone convinces people away from non-BlackBerry phones.
    BlackBerry BBM - the new-fashion way to pass notes in class. In larger cities such as Toronto with discount wireless carriers like Wind and Koodo I imagine the price is right for students.
    10-11-12 10:04 PM
    I work in an IT environment and most people use iPhones. Some use Android.
    The corporate phones seem to be BB, though.

I think BB10 will change the ratio to more BB for personal phones because the User Experience will surpass the other two platforms.
    Just gotta get Netflix on board. I just hafta watch TV on a 4.2" screen.
    Zirak likes this.
    10-11-12 10:22 PM
    Perhaps it's different where you live but here most of the teenagers have BlackBerry for BBM. My teenage son has hundreds of BBM contacts. When he goes to basketball practice all the kids on his team put their phones on the bench and every single phone is a BlackBerry.

Bored tonight, are we?
    10-11-12 10:28 PM
    Here in Edmonton it's about the same, everyone corporate is running BB's while all the personal phones are Apple with a few Droids mixed in. What was really neat to see though was at a recent school function for my son I noticed how many people have 2 phones. BB for work and an iPhone for personal. I was quite shocked when everyone was recording video with their iPhones while they had BB's holstered on their hips!
    10-11-12 10:37 PM
    blackberries are out of vancouver, like mostly iphones and androids. i'm one of the only strongholds left. the rest are iphones and androids.

to the few left in the bb camp in vancouver, i just tell them to wait until feb and they'll be happy.
    10-11-12 10:54 PM
    I live in Dundee, Scotland and Blackberry's are massively popular. I think its due to the fact you could pick up a used device for about �50 and for �5 a month you get unlimited internet and bbm. I don't use bbm much myself but can't see me ever using a different platform (had iphone4s for 3 weeks from the day it was released but it wasn't for me). Looking forward to the "Bold" style BB10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-12-12 04:25 AM
    People are unreliable witnesses and see what they want to see - never trust people.

More seriously, people see what they want to see (or what you want them to see - it's fairly easy to get people to see or remember what you like if you know how to do it), hard stats and cold analysis are more interesting to me.
    richardat likes this.
    10-12-12 04:32 AM
    I live in Indonesia, all I see is blackberries here, well we're a blackberry nation

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-12-12 05:39 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD