But pushing the speculation of a January release may be a bad idea. RIM is saying Q1, which leaves some room for themselves to the end of March. If with CB's influence everybody is convinced January is the release date, and RIM missed it again, imagine the disappointment then.
    07-09-12 11:37 PM
    http://crackberry.com/rim-ceo-interv...erry-10-launch

What about this piece of news? Why does Crackberry need to convince anyone when the RIM CEO comes out and says this?
    07-09-12 11:40 PM
    Nobody is pushing RIM. They said it themselves. They understand the importance of getting it out early, and that's why they have set the target of January 2013.
    07-10-12 12:05 AM
    Yes, he said January. He also said that it would roll out in Europe first then in America. So if it rolls out to Europe in January then America a couple weeks later, it could very well be end of February or March before we see it. Then again, it could roll out to Europe the end of Q1, America a couple weeks later which could mean May or June before we see it. If you are waiting for the qwerty version shortly after that it could possibly be July or later. I hope not, I have an upgrade I have been sitting on since Jan waiting for BB10 and I want it sooner rather than later.
    07-10-12 12:14 AM
    Yes, he said January. He also said that it would roll out in Europe first then in America. So if it rolls out to Europe in January then America a couple weeks later, it could very well be end of February or March before we see it. Then again, it could roll out to Europe the end of Q1, America a couple weeks later which could mean May or June before we see it. If you are waiting for the qwerty version shortly after that it could possibly be July or later. I hope not, I have an upgrade I have been sitting on since Jan waiting for BB10 and I want it sooner rather than later.
    read my signature below. I haven't changed that since I joined.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-10-12 12:37 AM
    When they were talking about release time, they said Q1. January is mentioned once in a long interview, indirectly.

I would give RIM a little more breath room here.
    07-10-12 01:19 AM
    Right now RIM has nothing new to offer so how can anyone help them?
    But maybe they learn from mistakes and want to work more before releasing a new product.
    07-10-12 01:40 AM
    I can see why they needed to delay this time. There is a clear sense Thorsten had more problems to iron out prior to his taking over of the CEO's role. The projected release timeframe was initially October, but it was clear RIM had more problems besides the operating system itself.

This time, Thorsten is saying that the product would launch in January 2013, and I would choose to believe him now because if anyone knows the history of the things that have happened so far, he seems to have a tighter grasp of things now than a few months ago. This is why I have faith they would release BB10 in January.
    Last edited by Speedygi; 07-10-12 at 03:04 AM.
    07-10-12 01:42 AM
    Please note the CB blog post has been updated accordingly :

*UPDATE* - We reached out to RIM to get clarification on the BlackBerry 10 launching in January comment and here is what we got back - "We obviously want it to launch as soon as possible and that’s the point Thorsten was making, but as we’ve stated before, the goal is Q1 calendar 2013 and that remains our goal. "
    Let's stick to it.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    07-10-12 03:02 AM
    One thing to remember is testing. RIM doesn't control testing by each carrier.
    Given a six to eight week testing cycle, the phones might get released to the carriers for testing on time but might get delayed as a result of findings that might need to be addressed.
    People need to remember testing cycles when discussing release dates...
    07-10-12 03:58 AM
    I guess there are many things to take into account when releasing a product, and not many people realize that. However, I feel the previous CEOs messed up BB10 so much that Thorsten is really having to haul some extra weight around here... If RIM had things under control earlier all this would have been avoided.
    07-10-12 06:07 AM
    While I agree that the goal for RIM is Q1 2013, I also believe January is their internal target date, and here is why. First, Thorsten indicated the delay was only two months. Previously I had heard from several people that the initial target was November. Delaying two months leads to January. Also, in the Interview, Thorsten specifically states January for the devices. HOPEFULLY, they show the devices at CES, and open up pre-ordering. From there they can launch (globally I hope) 2-3 weeks later.
    07-10-12 07:09 AM
    Agree with OP, many other tech sites are constantly monitoring CrackBerry. By stating BB10 in January, you can see a lot of other tech sites posting that as well. Imagine what would happen if it was launch in February of March instead? I would say its a bit too late. Despite CB already updating their post, the word is out. I personally wouldn't mind late Q1 2013 launch, and i'll set my expectations at that.
    07-10-12 07:25 AM
    What sucks is I was informing my co-workers that BB10 phone was right around the corner and just wait a little bit, now the delay further was announced...there is no way i'm telling them January it will be released, I won't look like that again..
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-10-12 07:39 AM
    I am listening to the AGM right now and at no point does Mr. Heins reiterate the
    January 2013 target. He specifically stated Q1 CY2013 at least three times so far.
    07-10-12 09:52 AM
    Wish I could listen to it right now....at work, PC won't support it.....
    07-10-12 10:20 AM
    One thing to remember is testing. RIM doesn't control testing by each carrier.
    Given a six to eight week testing cycle, the phones might get released to the carriers for testing on time but might get delayed as a result of findings that might need to be addressed.
    People need to remember testing cycles when discussing release dates...
    It was my understanding that all of the testing of the radio stack that will be in these phones that needs to be done for the carriers has already been done. Can anyone either confirm or refute?
    07-10-12 10:27 AM
    Please note the CB blog post has been updated accordingly :

Let's stick to it.
    Stick to what? The last thing they say? The first thing they say? The stuff in the middle? Q3, Q4, Q1, 2 months delay, January, any of these could be considered gospel, as they all come from the top at RIM. That is why I say 6 to 9 months. We know it will be at least 6 months, and no one would be shocked by 9. Beyond which, it doesn't matter anyway.
    07-10-12 11:56 AM
    BlackBerry 10 comes in January. Remember how I commented on Thorsten's CBC radio interview a few days ago? In that interview Thorsten said the BB10 delay was only two months. And now, today, in the CIO.com interview he's saying the release is scheduled for January. His exact quote was, "In January with the full touch device and the QWERTY coming, I think we will reinstall faith in RIM."

That could mean a bunch of different things.

That could mean the first ACTUAL BB10 device will be announced/showcased, but doesn't mean it will be available in January. And that could mean in Europe. And the vague use of "...coming" again supports the idea of just showcasing the new phone, and not an actual available date. In fact, as of right now, July 10th, BB10 devices are in fact "coming", just like they were "coming" last month and the month before that...

Until I hear/read RIM come out and officially say "The first finished BB10 device will be available for retail purchase in the US/Canada will be on month/date/year..." I don't believe it.

The quote is nothing more than our selective hearing looking for something that may or may not be there.
    07-10-12 03:14 PM
    Damned if they do and damned if they don't. When we're hearing nothing, the press slams RIM for falling way behind and doing nothing about it. With RIM's recent heightened presence, every word is scrutinized.

Thorsten mentions January so it's picked up as a committment. That's followed up by a BB blog update emphasizing Q1 and people freak. My hope is that the change from the mention of January back to the statement saying Q1 doesn't send the media into another frenzy declaring that RIM is postponing BB10 once again.

We can't win.
    07-10-12 03:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD