Verizons bucket plan lowered my bill by 60 bucks a month. I called Verizon to complian about a poor service area. After I was done, I asked the woman if a rumor I heard about the grandfathered unlimited data plans going bye bye with this new bucket plan. She said that was false. So I asked what this plan was. After she explained it to me, I got the feeling I would be a good candidate for this plan. Hered what I have:
    My main line: grandfathered unlimited everything
    A 4G air card: 5 gigs
    Daughters line: 4G Droid4
    That's a lot of data charges. I pay around 110 dollars a month for data. About 2 months ago I looked into getting a tethering plan and was told its another 25 bucks, I almost sh!t rolled over and threw a coniption.
    Now with this new bucket plan, I paid for 10 gigs of data for all 3 devices. It came to 60 bucks less a month. I can ad up to 10 devices and not pay a penny more for data. I still have to pay for the minutes the extra devices will use, but no more data bills. I love it.
    And I said bye bye to my grandfathered unlimited -- which was costing me 720 dollars a year extra, not to mention a total waste with a data compressed bb
    07-15-12 07:10 PM
    I've been hearing it saves a lot of people with 4+ lines a lot of money.

Curious when att launches it if I would be a good person for it. I'd love to be able to unlock free teathering on my phone.
    07-15-12 11:31 PM
    Are you aware that if you go over your your limit for your data plan that Verizon is going to ding you at $15 per gigabyte on overages?
    07-16-12 09:21 AM
    Wow up to 15 now. That's a 50% increase.

If I were to get a 5gb plan with my 3 devices I use about one and a half gig and my other 2 lines use less than a gig every month.

Sent from my blabbering thumbs using Tapatalk
    07-16-12 09:35 AM
    Get on Sprint.
    07-16-12 11:15 AM
    Get on Sprint.
    I'd love to switch to sprint but Verizon currently has the largest LTE network which is currently the only reason I'm still with big red. I'll hang onto my unlimited data for as long as I can see but when it's gone ill definitely be switching. Hopefully by then Sprint will have expanded their LTE coverage.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
    07-16-12 11:38 AM
    ...I still have to pay for the minutes the extra devices will use...
    If you have the new SE plan for smartphones, you should not have to pay for minutes of use; the plan includes unlimited talk and text. It also includes Mobile Hotspot which at least partially accounts for some of the savings by those who already had the feature (it was billed separately under the older plans).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you should now be paying around $200/month, broken down as follows:

$40/mo line access for your BB
    $40/mo line access for your daughter's Droid
    $20/mo line access for your air card
    $100/mo account access for data (10GB shared data)

So, you were paying $260/month prior to switching to the new SE plan?
    07-16-12 12:59 PM
    Are you aware that if you go over your your limit for your data plan that Verizon is going to ding you at $15 per gigabyte on overages?
    Although you are correct, that $15/GB only applies to actual overages (i.e., you go over your limit and basically do nothing).

VZW customers on the new plan have the option to increase their data bucket at any time to avoid paying overage charges. Data can be added in 2GB increments for $10/month.
    07-16-12 01:25 PM
    Although you are correct, that $15/GB only applies to actual overages (i.e., you go over your limit and basically do nothing).

VZW customers on the new plan have the option to increase their data bucket at any time to avoid paying overage charges. Data can be added in 2GB increments for $10/month.
    Yeah, but if you are already using the highest data tier, then there is no way to go and VZW's data prices are $10 per gb.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    07-16-12 03:08 PM
    Yeah, but if you are already using the highest data tier, then there is no way to go and VZW's data prices are $10 per gb.
    Not true. If customers need more than 10GB (the highest tier), they can add 2GB for $10/month (at least up to 20GB).
    07-16-12 03:23 PM
    My lady's office lost a firewall which cut off Internet. She needed it working on her notebook for an important project. I was planning to switch anyway so I did it today. Within 10 minutes she had her Mobile HotSpot working and was online.

All together I save about $30 a month and get to use the HotSpot now.

I averaged my data usage for the past 4 months and found we use about 1.78 GB a month. I got 10 GB on the assumption we will use more with the HotSpot feature available.

By the way, my account has 2 BlackBerrys and a non-BB smartphone. Our data usage breaks down like:

My BB - .43 GB per month.
    Other BB - < .01 GB
    Non-BB - 1.35 GB
    07-16-12 05:38 PM
    Depending on how much data you use on your aircard, Sprint would probably save you even more money.

If you turned your BB into a hotspot for $20 you could get 2gb of data. And then have your daughter's Droid tether for free via an android app/workaround.

Granted, their LTE hasn't hit Jersey yet, but will soon enough...

I'm also interested to see how AT&T does their data packaging.
    Last edited by jranciano; 07-16-12 at 06:37 PM.
    07-16-12 06:32 PM
    If you have the new SE plan for smartphones, you should not have to pay for minutes of use; the plan includes unlimited talk and text. It also includes Mobile Hotspot which at least partially accounts for some of the savings by those who already had the feature (it was billed separately under the older plans).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you should now be paying around $200/month, broken down as follows:

Yes, my bill is now 200 a month.
    07-16-12 11:10 PM

And...yep, I was paying 260 a month for those 3 devices
    07-16-12 11:12 PM
    I think you should go with Sprint.. It will save you money..
    And i think that by the next year they will have much more LTE coverage..
    JR A likes this.
    07-17-12 04:59 AM
    The new shared plans are pretty good for families but the price for entry for an individual is a minimum $90 per month and that only includes one gigabyte of data!

On the face of it it would appear that Verizon are not fond of individual customers and want to attract merely families however, knowing Verizon, they've studied this to death and are pretty sure they're going to make a fortune on overages from these family plans. We all know Verizon have never given the customer "more" without rapemurdering them.
    07-17-12 07:22 AM
    I think you should go with Sprint.. It will save you money..
    And i think that by the next year they will have much more LTE coverage..
    I agree, Sprint is cheap. I live and work in the NY area. I travel 400 miles per day the entire length of the NJ turnpike from NY city to Delaware and back. Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile all suck on that route and extended areas. I've had experience with them all, and I know their service very well. When there is money at stake, I can not afford to drop calls. I wouldn't care if Sprint were free, I'd never use them. Period. However, I do understand that there are people who think its awesome...for them. For me, I'd be out of business with a super cheap cell phone plan.
    07-17-12 07:24 PM
    I have 5 devices on VZW and 3 are smart phones. I checked with VZW and we have never gone over 5mb per month so switching to the 8mb plan will be plenty of data and I will gain unlimited calling for the same price. I am almost tempted to switch but holding of to see if things change this year. I see data plans getting more expensive as time goes on. I am taking the wait and see approach.
    07-17-12 10:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD