I myself am a die hard BlackBerry fan! But most people aren't.. The average smartphone user only sees the best and most trendy phone available. All my BlackBerry buddies are switching over to the dark side.. One friend has had a BB for quite awhile now and really enjoyed it.. but recently just bought a Galaxy S3! And is Loving it! He has totally forgot about his BB.. And people who don't use BlackBerry just laugh at the fact I still use one... I just don't see how BB10 can persuade people to come back or to change platforms because all these other devices already do it ALL!!! and are already well developed. All the services they use aren't available on BlackBerry so why would they want to downgrade.. BB10 will have to at least match the best out there and some!! BB10 will be brand new and will take some time to really get all the bugs out and grow to be a stable platform.. And they are already behind..

So what I'm trying to get at is that I don't think BB10 will be successful because there is really nothing it can do to be better than what is already out there! RIM can come out with a great BB10 phone with great hardware and upgraded software, but it's all about the ecosystem(the services that most people use). Collaborating with popular companies. Apple and Android already won that battle. Nothing will ever compare to that! They do all you need and everything else. RIM might keep all the dedicated BB users, but others I don't think they can get to hop on board.. I LOVE BlackBerry, but I'm just keeping it real. I don't see people who are wanting BlackBerrys or enjoy using them.. All I hear is complaints and nothing positive.. It's all about satisfying the average user because that's the majority, and RIM has not done that..

What do you think the future of BlackBerry is?..
    Last edited by Maxey05; 09-18-12 at 02:44 AM.
    Doc Z likes this.
    09-18-12 02:37 AM
    Yea. that is a problem for RIM. they need a healthy ecosystem to compete. Only MS, Apple and Google has a proper one. I know 14 people switching to the Lumia 920 and 17 people to the iphone 5 and 12 people to the s3 or note 2. They are all from BB's. So they need to avoid this problem. if they don't I'm afraid they will get sold out.

You can tell that people really like the Note 2, s3, iPhone 5 and especially the Lumia 920 because of the display, wireless charging, NFC and Pureview Camera
    09-18-12 02:45 AM
    So what I'm trying to get at is that I don't think BB10 will be successful because there is really nothing it can do to be better than what is already out there!
    Save your judgement for when it's released.
    09-18-12 02:47 AM
    I just don't think they can just all of a sudden come out with something Amazing in a couple months!! It takes years to develop!! And RIM is starting over.. By the time they get it right, it might be too late.. These other platforms are way further ahead and users are more than satisfied with them!.. RIM must create something AMAZING of its own or join the competition.. From where they are now with BB7, they must go leaps and bounds greater to be considered a serious platform.
    09-18-12 02:53 AM
    It takes years to develop!!
    It has been in development for years... I don't really see what your point is. You don't know if RIM will succeed? So what. Neither does anyone else. Why worry about it now when only time will tell? Just let RIM do their thing because we have no control over it.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 09-18-12 at 02:57 AM.
    09-18-12 02:55 AM
    So what I'm trying to get at is that I don't think BB10 will be successful because there is really nothing it can do to be better than what is already out there!
    ...and nobody will ever need more than 640k memory. #justsaying

I'm excited for BB10. When it comes, I'll read the reviews, take the mid point of them, and make my decision. From my personal standpoint, there's no point in writing it off as "not better" untill I've worked out whether I'm a Goose or a Gander & whether this is the right sauce for me.
    09-18-12 03:00 AM
    It has been in development for years... I don't really see what your point is. You don't know if RIM will succeed? So what. Neither does anyone else. Why worry about it now when only time will tell?

I personally don't believe they will succeed just by what I have been seeing recently.. No matter what they come out with, it won't ever be as good as Apple or Android because of their ecosystems. People are more than satisfied with what they have with Apple and Android and other devices. So why would they want to switch to something that is foreign to them. Even the people who have used BB before are scarred with bad experiences with them, so I don't think they will want to come back to something that didn't work for them before.. I do believe BB10 will keep them afloat in the mean time, but in the long run they won't last.. I want BlackBerry to succeed, but I'm just being honest. I don't know anybody who really enjoys their BB or is looking forward to BB10. All I hear is about how great the Galaxy S3 is or they can't wait for iphone 5. BB10 is up in the air. Nobody is really certain because they know RIM's reputation.. they always fall short. RIM may believe in their product, but will the people who use the phones embrace what they come out with.. I just don't see it..
    09-18-12 03:08 AM
    I personally don't believe they will succeed just by what I have been seeing recently.. No matter what they come out with, it won't ever be as good as Apple or Android because of their ecosystems.
    You're just rehashing your original post. Again, why stress about these things? Do you own RIM stock? Are you employed by them? If so, then there should be other, more productive methods to voice your concerns. Otherwise, just sit tight and relax. Who cares about how much other people like their phones?
    bigbmc26, CerveloJohn and ELavar like this.
    09-18-12 03:13 AM
    I'm just curious as to what the OP defines as ecosystem?
    09-18-12 03:24 AM
    You're just rehashing your original post. Again, why stress about these things? Do you own RIM stock? Are you employed by them? If so, then there should be other, more productive methods to voice your concerns. Otherwise, just sit tight and relax. Who cares about how much other people like their phones?

No I don't work for RIM or own stock. But all I'm trying to say is that BB10 may satisfy the people who use BB now, but in order to stay in business they have to gain customers and make profit. It does matter what phones people like! We may be BlackBerry loyalty, but in order for us to keep using new BB product every year, more people need to be invested. The people I know don't have BB and I don't see them switching any time soon.. But you are right, we will only really know when BB10 comes out. It's just disappointing to see people leave BB and to not take BB seriously.. I LOVE BlackBerry! I just wish most people did too!..
    09-18-12 03:24 AM
    I'm just curious as to what the OP defines as ecosystem?

It's like having a fast car and not being able to drive it fast. BB10 can have great hardware, but what can you do with it? Most of my friends use Androids and iphones and they have apps that I don't so I'm not able to connect with them.. That's the problem with BlackBerry, they are not connected to a great ecosystem.. It can not do a whole lot with the world it lives in..
    09-18-12 03:29 AM
    No I don't work for RIM or own stock. But all I'm trying to say is that BB10 may satisfy the people who use BB now, but in order to stay in business they have to gain customers and make profit. It does matter what phones people like!
    These are things that matter to RIM, not us as consumers. Our role as consumers is simple; vote with your dollars and buy what you need or want. They are obviously well aware that they need to make a profit to stay in business. That's what companies do, and is the reason for their existence. Surely you don't think RIM doesn't know that. If they don't, well, nothing will save them (except government intervention).

Look. I know you love your BlackBerry and hope to see them keep producing them for years to come. I hope so too. However, why worry about things that are beyond our control, whether it be if RIM survives or what phones other people are buying?
    09-18-12 03:35 AM
    These are things that matter to RIM, not us as consumers. Our role as consumers is simple; vote with your dollars and buy what you need or want. They are obviously well aware that they need to make a profit to stay in business. That's what companies do, and is the reason for their existence. Surely you don't think RIM doesn't know that. If they don't, well, nothing will save them (except government intervention).

Look. I know you love your BlackBerry and hope to see them keep producing them for years to come. I hope so too. However, why worry about things that are beyond our control, whether it be if RIM survives or what phones other people are buying?

I'm just astonished how so many people are leaving BlackBerry!.. I just feel RIM can do more to satisfy their consumers in the mean time while we wait for BB10. BB users are dropping like flies!.. It's just hard not to worry when they have declined so much. They must really believe in BB10. I'm just hoping they come out with something AMAZING!!!
    09-18-12 03:45 AM
    I'm just astonished how so many people are leaving BlackBerry!.. I just feel RIM can do more to satisfy their consumers in the mean time while we wait for BB10. BB users are dropping like flies!.. It's just hard not to worry when they have declined so much. They must really believe in BB10. I'm just hoping they come out with something AMAZING!!!
    There's nothing much RIM can do in the mean time. However, it may also be a good thing that they're focusing all their efforts on making sure BB10 launches successfully instead of trying to stem the bleeding in case the new platform fails, which will only delay the inevitable.
    09-18-12 03:52 AM
    thats why RIMS marketing team has to get it spot on

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-18-12 03:54 AM
    Save your judgement for when it's released.
    +1

Another speculation thread.

I see the positives if they sell lots of BB10's or don't. If they do, it's good for RIM, if they don't its good for me because there are less of them and I won't blend in with the masses.

For me, the closer the the release dates the greater the suspense.
    09-18-12 03:54 AM
    Yes BB10 should be the main focus, but at least BB7 should be satisfactory for the people who still use it. I know I am more than satisfied with my 9930, but a lot of people have issues with OS 7 software.. I think BB10 should also really be about user experience. That's why Apple is so successful because their products just work! Waiting for BB10 is the hardest part though, but they must get it right the first time! I guess as long as they put their best out there, that's all they can do..
    09-18-12 04:02 AM
    @Maxey, yeah it has to be a fantastic Blackberry with the amount of good press on these sites.

Let's just hope it doesn't have the early OS flaws 9900's had when they came out. Heins said along the lines of - we're holding BB10 back because we want it to be perfect. Let's hope so.
    09-18-12 04:10 AM
    Yes BB10 should be the main focus, but at least BB7 should be satisfactory for the people who still use it. I know I am more than satisfied with my 9930, but a lot of people have issues with OS 7 software.. I think BB10 should also really be about user experience. That's why Apple is so successful because their products just work! Waiting for BB10 is the hardest part though, but they must get it right the first time! I guess as long as they put their best out there, that's all they can do..
    BBOS has reached the end of the line. It's finished. There's nothing else that can really be done with it at this point to allow it to "catch up" to the likes of Android, iPhone and Windows 8. It's simply an antiquidated and obsolete platform and RIM needs to move on.

Don't get me wrong. I still like using my 9900 and it's my phone of choice, but it has reached its limits.
    09-18-12 04:14 AM
    One thing that hasn't been said is that RIM is still growing worldwide as they keep gaining a larger user base. I've heard the argument that many of the places that are responsible for this growth are of the lower price handset business as though it doesn't count. I look at it from the aspect that these customers will convert to BB10 along with the new customers that they continue to get. Plus as long as these handsets make them money, and they are paying the bills they're still in the game.

Until RIM's user base starts to shrink rather than grow I don't see much to worry about because they are not standing still and look to release a very compelling product in BB10 which hopefully will not just keep their existing base but grow their users at a faster pace and start to chip away at regaining market share in the US.

I think RIM has a few years of fight left even if in the end they are beaten and bloody and eventually throw in the towel, but I have optimism that BB10 will catch on enough to allow RIM to stay in the game for many years to come.

BB10 is no small feat and it's almost reached fruition so let's wish them the best and hope they deliver and knock our socks off. Then you can flash your BB10 device into those people that have laughed at you because you continue to use a Blackberry and say look at this Muh-fuhkaaaz, who's laughing now!
    Last edited by gwanstarr; 09-18-12 at 06:18 AM.
    Ben1232, Cesare21, sugbo and 1 others like this.
    09-18-12 05:34 AM
    I myself am a die hard BlackBerry fan! But most people aren't.. The average smartphone user only sees the best and most trendy phone available. All my BlackBerry buddies are switching over to the dark side.. One friend has had a BB for quite awhile now and really enjoyed it.. but recently just bought a Galaxy S3! And is Loving it! He has totally forgot about his BB.. And people who don't use BlackBerry just laugh at the fact I still use one... I just don't see how BB10 can persuade people to come back or to change platforms because all these other devices already do it ALL!!! and are already well developed. All the services they use aren't available on BlackBerry so why would they want to downgrade.. BB10 will have to at least match the best out there and some!! BB10 will be brand new and will take some time to really get all the bugs out and grow to be a stable platform.. And they are already behind..

So what I'm trying to get at is that I don't think BB10 will be successful because there is really nothing it can do to be better than what is already out there! RIM can come out with a great BB10 phone with great hardware and upgraded software, but it's all about the ecosystem(the services that most people use). Collaborating with popular companies. Apple and Android already won that battle. Nothing will ever compare to that! They do all you need and everything else. RIM might keep all the dedicated BB users, but others I don't think they can get to hop on board.. I LOVE BlackBerry, but I'm just keeping it real. I don't see people who are wanting BlackBerrys or enjoy using them.. All I hear is complaints and nothing positive.. It's all about satisfying the average user because that's the majority, and RIM has not done that..

What do you think the future of BlackBerry is?..
    About all I get out of these threads whether it's people saying others knock them for using BB, or people on here knocking people for using products other than BB, is that I am damn glad I don't have any exposure to hanging out with groups of people in real like that actually laugh at people over what phone they use lol. I don't know a single person that could give a crap, or would remotely judge someone on what technology they use.
    09-18-12 06:20 AM
    About all I get out of these threads whether it's people saying others knock them for using BB, or people on here knocking people for using products other than BB, is that I am damn glad I don't have any exposure to hanging out with groups of people in real like that actually laugh at people over what phone they use lol. I don't know a single person that could give a crap, or would remotely judge someone on what technology they use.
    I'm not going to speak my mind as it is really not kind to people that judge others based on their gadgets. It seems gadgets are the new status symbol of the times. Previously it was cars but now many younger people can't afford cars like in the past so now it's your phone, laptop, ipod, flat screen TV.

My faith in humans fades just a little bit more when I witness these sort of things.....

Last edited by gwanstarr; 09-18-12 at 06:40 AM.
    jegs2, bigbmc26, Deu2e and 1 others like this.
    09-18-12 06:38 AM
    I've heard the argument that many of the places that are responsible for this growth are of the lower price handset business as though it doesn't count. I look at it from the aspect that these customers will convert to BB10 along with the new customers that they continue to get.
    Playing devil's advocate on this aspect - do you think the people who are using those lower price handsets are really the segment of the market who will upgrade to BB10 right away? I can see them upgrading *eventually* after a few price drops on the BB10 handsets, and if OS7 is any indication the price drops will happen very gradually.
    09-18-12 07:00 AM
    We have to see what they and the independent developers are coming out with.
    They may have some NFC apps that are not available on other platforms.
    They will regain a lot of people who like BBM but left because of the improved UI of the other platforms.
    They will regain or keep a lot of business users because those users will no longer have a reason to switch. not likely their companies will want them to switch so they can play games or watch Netflix.
    Also, BlackBerry is still very big in other parts of the world. You are looking at it from a NA-centric point of view.
    They have to stop the hemorrhaging first and I think the new OS will do that.
    sugbo likes this.
    09-18-12 07:08 AM
    Playing devil's advocate on this aspect - do you think the people who are using those lower price handsets are really the segment of the market who will upgrade to BB10 right away? I can see them upgrading *eventually* after a few price drops on the BB10 handsets, and if OS7 is any indication the price drops will happen very gradually.
    I don't know what the likelihood is of people currently using lower end handset upgrading right when BB10 comes out. However if I was RIM, I would want my smartphone to be used by as many people as possible because it gives me the opportunity to eventually sell them a higher end phone down the line - obviously selling lower end units needs to be viable and they need to make money still.

If RIM is in the game for the long haul, holding and continuing to grow users as well as maintaining market share means a lot. I think as long as they continue to grow and make money, BB10 will have a good chance to carve out it's space the same way the current OS7 have because it's going to be MUCH better. I think the lower end sales are keeping RIM afloat and has allow them to make the transition to BB10 which will make them more competitive in the US market as well as other industrialized nations that want more powerful high end devices. I think RIM is in a good position to bounce back if they deliver the goods. It's a wait and see game now, path has been plotted and no turning back... BB10 or bust baby!
    09-18-12 07:32 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD