I hope the app gap closes soon, for BlackBerry's sake!-screen-shot-2013-08-05-9.03.10-pm.png

I then had him message me, and he asked me about it and i told him the sideload method. He seemed very intimidated by this.
    08-05-13 11:05 PM
    Such is life, but without adopters, Dev's won't build. It's the ultimate catch 22
    southlander likes this.
    08-05-13 11:13 PM
    It can be the attraction factor.
    08-06-13 12:19 AM
    the youtube tutorials are pretty easy to follow, though i know many people who are intimidated of unlocking their phones...
    08-06-13 01:09 AM
    Side loading is not the solution. I may be a band-aid for the BlackBerry enthusiast, but it won't help them sell to the average consumer. Not only will they have to sideload themselves, but they will not benefit from update notifications and easy in place updating like you get with apps found in BlackBerry World.
    Fnen90, kkanagas, redsaph and 1 others like this.
    08-06-13 01:23 AM
    Such is life, but without adopters, Dev's won't build. It's the ultimate catch 22
    It's actually not a catch 22 because there is a way out, sideloading. Read the book before you make the reference bro. :..(

Posted via my Q10
    08-06-13 02:03 AM
    It's actually not a catch 22 because there is a way out, sideloading. Read the book before you make the reference bro. :..(

Posted via my Q10
    Sideloading is not a way out, it's not a solution for everyone as the OP clearly stated. Don't even start this sideloading **** with me.

Posted via CB10
    JasW, kkanagas, Etios and 5 others like this.
    08-06-13 06:13 AM
    Have you tried android apps on 10.2 - they are pretty smooth. We just need to get more of the make or break apps into app world.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 06:36 AM
    Even if people were willing to sideload (and take the time to learn), and even if they didn't care about it being illegal, it's still not a solution. You're still a second class app citizen. Not everything is going to be guaranteed to run perfectly, and every time there is an update, you're going to have to sideload all over again. If you're stuck with a BB, that's one thing, but asking people to opt in to such a lunatic app system is quite another.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-06-13 06:45 AM
    The app gap isn't going to close significantly until BB10 market share starts trending up. Developers aren't going to waste their time on a platform that looks like it's circling the drain.

Most people will never even hear about sideloading, and if they hear about it, won't know what it is, and if they know what it is, won't do it.
    08-06-13 08:32 AM
    I think we need a sort of a hack or a clever app that lets us side load directly from the device. That way a lot of hassle will be taken out of the current side loading process and maybe an average user will be able to do it too with minimum setup.

I know this wouldn't be a great permanent solution but it will be a solid bridge till we can get to the other side filled with our favorite native apps!!

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 08:50 AM
    I think we need a sort of a hack or a clever app that lets us side load directly from the device. That way a lot of hassle will be taken out of the current side loading process and maybe an average user will be able to do it too with minimum setup.

I know this wouldn't be a great permanent solution but it will be a solid bridge till we can get to the other side filled with our favorite native apps!!

Posted via CB10
    Used to be done on the PB, BlackBerry fixed that security flaw right quick

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 09:55 AM
    The app gap isn't going to close significantly until BB10 market share starts trending up. Developers aren't going to waste their time on a platform that looks like it's circling the drain.

Most people will never even hear about sideloading, and if they hear about it, won't know what it is, and if they know what it is, won't do it.
    ...and if they do it, will screw it up badly and then blame BlackBerry...
    Kris Simundson and ubizmo like this.
    08-06-13 09:58 AM
    I just think that instagram alone has the potential to convince many young smartphone users to switch over.

Posted via CB10
    web99 and redsaph like this.
    08-06-13 10:45 AM
    Here in uptown, ny...people are not getting the phone because of instagram...that the only thing that makes the phone not worth it.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 01:04 PM

Posted via my Q10
    I'm sure nobody outside of CB sideloads apps. Not a way out. People want things that "just work".
    redsaph likes this.
    08-06-13 01:37 PM
    Instagram is needed. Or they won't win back most users.

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    08-06-13 01:49 PM

www.truth.com

I almost sold three friends on the Z10, but they need their Instagrams, these are not tech savy people before the sideload crowd stabs me in the eye!

On the other hand I don't think that the App Gap is as bad as so many are making it out to be!

Swiped On My Zed10
    ErinnM likes this.
    08-06-13 02:48 PM

If we can get Instagram and the main banking apps on the BB10 platform, I think it would make a huge difference in getting people to switch to Blackberry.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    ErinnM and BlackBerry Guy like this.
    08-06-13 02:57 PM
    Sideloading is not a way out, it's not a solution for everyone as the OP clearly stated. Don't even start this sideloading **** with me.

Posted via CB10
    Just saying your reference was off. lol don't bite my head off.

Posted via my Q10
    08-07-13 01:40 AM
    If we can get Instagram and the main banking apps on the BB10 platform, I think it would make a huge difference in getting people to switch to Blackberry.
    Getting Instagram on the platform is not a magic bullet. There will always be another Instagram, another Vine, and another [insert latest hot app here]. Developers create these apps for iOS and Android, not BlackBerry. That's what has to change if BB is to become anything other than a niche platform whose userbase consists mainly of hardcore BB fans and recalcitrant old schoolers who don't want to give up the physical QWERTY.

I don't see this changing at all, let alone any time soon. As has been discussed, it's a chicken and egg problem -- developers won't create apps for the platform because its userbase is so small, and the userbase is small because developers won't create apps for the platform. The train left the station years ago while Mike L. was busy eating Dove bars and Jim B. was chasing a hockey team.
    08-07-13 05:53 AM
    Just saying your reference was off. lol don't bite my head off.

Posted via my Q10
    How is my reference off, please explain.

Catch 22:
    1.a. A situation in which a desired outcome or solution is impossible to attain because of a set of inherently illogical rules or conditions
    b. The rules or conditions that create such a situation.
    2. A situation or predicament characterized by absurdity or senselessness.
    3. A contradictory or self-defeating course of action:
    4. A tricky or disadvantageous condition;

I don't know about you, but BlackBerry seems to be in this position.
    08-07-13 01:42 PM