I am traveling to Austria next month and have had skype for over a year, but have only used it on my laptop. I keep about $10 credit on it calling the US when im in austria and vice versa- when i travel to Austria with my US ATT blackberry pearl, how will my phone calls work?

-since im roaming will all my minutes just be charged to my normal at&t bill?
    -will my skype account be deducted for the calls completely or only partially?
    02-05-09 11:31 PM
    hi I also have skype on my unlocked curve. watch ou! if you use skype on it to make Voip calls, you will be using roaming minutes so you will be paying 1.29 (or 99 if you have world traveler) + taxes! and you pay whatever skype rates...and yes it will deducted of your skypeout account. So overall it is not a smart choice...if you had a wifi connection on your BB then you will only pay skype but in this case you get hammered.
    02-21-09 03:06 PM
    Hey,

I would limit the use of your US phone in Austria as much as possible because of roaming fees. There is simply no way how you could circumvent these costs with your US plan.

But here is the good news: Austria has the most competitive mobile phone market in Europe which means that also the prices are quite low.

I would recommend that you bring an unlocked GSM phone to Austria and then buy a prepaid sim card. I did a quick check and I recommend Bob (from Mobilkom Austria) or YouTalk. Calling the US from Austria costs 50 EUR cent with Bob, and 4 EUR cent with YouTalk. YouTalk is quite new, so I don't know anything about it's quality.

You can buy these prepaid cards everywhere in Austria, I recommend the "Niedermeyer" shops or in a postoffice.

Hope this helps, enjoy your time in Austria!
    02-21-09 06:55 PM
    Try also IM+ for Skype application and share your impression here.
    02-25-09 02:30 AM
    What gets me is the inability to use my Skype over WiFi and my Nokia E61.
    02-25-09 07:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD